Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thats the guy Len.Worked miracles on them Chrysler outboards.I believe the two sea-riders and motors had sat in a yard in Dundee for yonks before we got them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sailed on BP ships from 1977 - 1980 SS Patience, MV Liberty, MV Loyalty, SS Respect, SS Renown, MV Trent. I would love to get some photos of those ships for 'old times sake' but BP cannot help. Anyone any ideas where I can get good quality photos so I can print them out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just said hello and left details on the welcome forum.
My name is Dave Edworthy, was a Leckie on BP Tankers for the period above, would love to hear from any former shipmates from that period.

Dave
Hi Dave, Just got a picture from my son in Ottawa who was browign the net, which shows you, the 4th engineer Audrey Wilson ( R/O wife ) and me Dave Wilson ( R/O) It was taken when we were just heading into the Western Gap in Toronto Harbour.

We now live in Oakville Ontario, about 16Km from Toronto where I have a marine electronics business.

Fantastic to see that photo - reminds me that the 4th always wrote in cupboards, lockers and any hiding place " its a mugs game" - it sure wasn't.

I remember you well. You went down to see Niagara falls and took my missus - I had to stay and wait for a magnetron for the radar which never showed,

Regards Dave, Dave [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
dragoon

can anyone help me find any of the lads i sailed with i was on the british tamar, scientist,test resolution 4 times in panama then onto the avon , mv mokran and my last trip was on the dragoon i joind in 1975 and left in 1982(Jester)
hi i sailed on the dragoon we take her to scrap my name is michael carriage

·
Registered
24 Posts
Forties Kiwi

Jimmy,
Were you on the Forties Kiwi 76-78, I was the Bosun, Len Inglis.
Hi Len
I was galley boy on Kiwi 1976-1977 then promoted to A/S till 1978 then went back deep sea
remember a few things taffy Captain with flag post outside his cabin
the two John's Chief Stewards one being banger benson harry riggall cook from Goole few other things but I am sure you will remember the things I have mentioned
Gavin

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Gavin
I was an AB on the Kiwi 76 to the end of 79.The two Captains were Jack Hobbs and Gill Barber.The two grocers where as you say called John.Benson and Naugher.Len was bosun the other one being Malcolm Davis Remember Willie 2nd cook George the 2nd steward Stuart AS Greg(aka Daisy)Horace,Don,George,ABs and of many others who,s names eludes me at the moment.All in all a good ship with two good crews All the best John

·
Registered
3 Posts
BP Tankers 1973 to 1976

I served my time with BP as a Deck Cadet then 3rd Mate from 1973 till 1976. Ships were British Beech, British Statesman, British Fern, British Unity, British Curlew, British Promise, British Commodore and Border Shepherd. Anyone remember these ship and that time?

Alec Ambury

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hello aambury, I was on the Fern 1971, promoted to 4th engineer through the trip as far as I can remember she was mostly on the uk coast. The Unity was my last ship came ashore after that trip, May 1972, I think Gil Barber was the captain Regards Stewart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sea Riders

Thats the guy Len.Worked miracles on them Chrysler outboards.I believe the two sea-riders and motors had sat in a yard in Dundee for yonks before we got them
Hi John and Len, will never forget my first trip on a Sea Rider sitting behind John. When we came back to the ship's side on Kiwi at full speed, I thought we were going to be smashed to pieces alongside, but John obviously knew that when he cut the throttle the boat would settle in the water and rapidly slow down. Problem was, I didn't know that! Just about had to change underwear after that! Derek Palmer now lives down the road from me. Hope you are both well. Best regards,
George (Allan)

P.S Jimmy Jewell also rings bell with me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi George,
Hope all is well with you, these Sea-riders gave us some grief, Jimmy Jewell kept them running, if you remember he had no hair.
Regards to Derek.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi George
That post got the old grey matter working.Had some fun in those boats even better fun when you can provide the pucker factor.Prefered the sea-riders and zodiaks to the big P30.I think Len had left before we got that big boat.
All the best for now John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iolair

Hi Dave

Long time answering your post but remember the Iolair. I remember your pay off party. A case of Kaliber alchohol free larger. Tony Sullivan your replacement ended up manger of the Seillean an oil production vessel. If you pick this up I would like to hear from you.

John Orr

·
Registered
924 Posts
I served my time with BP as a Deck Cadet then 3rd Mate from 1973 till 1976. Ships were British Beech, British Statesman, British Fern, British Unity, British Curlew, British Promise, British Commodore and Border Shepherd. Anyone remember these ship and that time?

Alec Ambury
I am about contemporary with you, Alec. I dont think I recall you but I am hopeless at names and faces, so apols if we did meet. I was deck cadet 72-76 and then acouple of trips as 3/O on the Unity and the Progress before I went to Bibby's and then C&W.

My ships and dates were:
Deck cadet
British Willow 14 August 1972 - 28 December 1972
British Cavalier 23 Feb 1973- 28 June 1973
British Argosy 25 July 1973 - 26 Aug 1973
British Osprey 11 April 1974 - 19 Aug 1974 (this as the ship on which Vanessa sailed with me - she was about a year behind me at that point)
British Aviator 23 September 1974 - 18 Feb 1975 (although I was briefly signed off and then on again the same day due to a mix up at head office as to whether I was to leave the ship or not on 5th jan 1975)
British Gannet 22 Feb 1975 - 2 April 1975
British Willow 11 April 1975 - 15 Aug 1975
3rd mate
British Unity 29 May 1976 -16 Oct 1976
British Progress 13 jan 1977 - 3 April 1977

Then to Bibby Bros
3rd mate on Lancashire 1 July 1977 - 8 Nov 1977
2nd mate on Dorsetshire 23 nov 1977 - 21 Apr 1978

Got my 1st mate's cert 1 march 1979

Then to Cable & Wireless
3rd mate on cable ventrue 5 March 1979 - 14 June 1979

Then I left the sea for the last time

nina

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,
I was with BP from '79-'82, sailed on Mv Marun, Explorer,Avon,Ranger Tenacity, would love to hear from anybody who i may have sailed with and like so many others have not got hardly any photo's :-(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Gavin
I was an AB on the Kiwi 76 to the end of 79.The two Captains were Jack Hobbs and Gill Barber.The two grocers where as you say called John.Benson and Naugher.Len was bosun the other one being Malcolm Davis Remember Willie 2nd cook George the 2nd steward Stuart AS Greg(aka Daisy)Horace,Don,George,ABs and of many others who,s names eludes me at the moment.All in all a good ship with two good crews All the best John
(egg)I sailed with Gill Barber (he was from swansea(MAD) nice guy considering he was a jack (paid off Avon ? and travelled home with him on the train, bought my beer lol)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't know if anyone is interested but i still get a ships crew list sent (BP News) every month, if anyone wants to look up old/still serving mates etc... let me know and i will send it on. Latest 1 came this morning (15/9/12) :)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts