Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was E/C from 71 to 75 then J/E and 4/E until I was dumped in 81! Ships were Tay, Trident, Argosy, Unity, 2 x Trident, Pride, Renown, Respect, Beech and Willow not in any particular order.
I'd especially like to get in touch with any of the 71 intake from South Shields if any of you are on here.
Best wishes
Graham

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was E/C from 71 to 75 then J/E and 4/E until I was dumped in 81! Ships were Tay, Trident, Argosy, Unity, 2 x Trident, Pride, Renown, Respect, Beech and Willow not in any particular order.
I'd especially like to get in touch with any of the 71 intake from South Shields if any of you are on here.
Best wishes
Graham
when were you on the pride graham as i did two trips on her as j/e. paid off into hospital in west africa first trip and di the gaurantee dry dock in france and paid off there just before she sailed out of docking second trip. happy days. like you i was laid off in 71

·
Registered
99 Posts
did the gaurantee dry dock in france and paid off there just before she sailed out of docking second trip. happy days.
I was on the Pride for the gaurantee dry dock. I joined her as Junior R/O in November 1974 and left in April 1975. Bob Lane was the Senior R/O, he had his wife, Wendy, with him.

Bob Bryne

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
I sailed on BP ships from 1977 - 1980 SS Patience, MV Liberty, MV Loyalty, SS Respect, SS Renown, MV Trent. I would love to get some photos of those ships for 'old times sake' but BP cannot help. Anyone any ideas where I can get good quality photos so I can print them out?
Some years ago, I contacted BP Shipping and asked them for the "Official" photo's of the ships that I was on. Can't remember the address now, but they supplied them. They are copyrighted I suspect. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Fellows My name is John and I sailed on the Fidelity when she caught on fire tied to the dock in Lagos in about 1971.Anybody out there that remembers that?I was on my first trip{gpboy}Left the MN about a year later and returned home to Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am about contemporary with you, Alec. I dont think I recall you but I am hopeless at names and faces, so apols if we did meet. I was deck cadet 72-76 and then acouple of trips as 3/O on the Unity and the Progress before I went to Bibby's and then C&W.

My ships and dates were:
Deck cadet
British Willow 14 August 1972 - 28 December 1972
British Cavalier 23 Feb 1973- 28 June 1973
British Argosy 25 July 1973 - 26 Aug 1973
British Osprey 11 April 1974 - 19 Aug 1974 (this as the ship on which Vanessa sailed with me - she was about a year behind me at that point)
British Aviator 23 September 1974 - 18 Feb 1975 (although I was briefly signed off and then on again the same day due to a mix up at head office as to whether I was to leave the ship or not on 5th jan 1975)
British Gannet 22 Feb 1975 - 2 April 1975
British Willow 11 April 1975 - 15 Aug 1975
3rd mate
British Unity 29 May 1976 -16 Oct 1976
British Progress 13 jan 1977 - 3 April 1977

Then to Bibby Bros
3rd mate on Lancashire 1 July 1977 - 8 Nov 1977
2nd mate on Dorsetshire 23 nov 1977 - 21 Apr 1978

Got my 1st mate's cert 1 march 1979

Then to Cable & Wireless
3rd mate on cable ventrue 5 March 1979 - 14 June 1979

Then I left the sea for the last time

nina
Nina, I knew you well by name, but our paths never crossed sadly..

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I was with BP from 67-77 on the Titties, Rivers, Commodore, Centaur, Admiral, Argosy, and a few of the big 'uns. as GP1 :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just said hello and left details on the welcome forum.
My name is Dave Edworthy, was a Leckie on BP Tankers for the period above, would love to hear from any former shipmates from that period.

Dave
Dave i was a Lecky (ALAN SCOTT )as well on BP TANKERS 1970-1974,Reliance,Gunner ,Patrol,Ambassador (before it sunk),Swift,Gannet ,Dragoon,Argosy.Hazel,Admiral.The only one that had 2 Leckies was the Argosy which was a "lightering" ship off the channel.We may have passed in the night .If anyone contacts you they may know me as well ,please pass this on.Cheers pal. Ps I was on the British Gunner when a Dodgem car was pinched from Butlins outside Barry docks .Did you hear about it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am about contemporary with you, Alec. I dont think I recall you but I am hopeless at names and faces, so apols if we did meet. I was deck cadet 72-76 and then acouple of trips as 3/O on the Unity and the Progress before I went to Bibby's and then C&W.

My ships and dates were:
Deck cadet
British Willow 14 August 1972 - 28 December 1972
British Cavalier 23 Feb 1973- 28 June 1973
British Argosy 25 July 1973 - 26 Aug 1973
British Osprey 11 April 1974 - 19 Aug 1974 (this as the ship on which Vanessa sailed with me - she was about a year behind me at that point)
British Aviator 23 September 1974 - 18 Feb 1975 (although I was briefly signed off and then on again the same day due to a mix up at head office as to whether I was to leave the ship or not on 5th jan 1975)
British Gannet 22 Feb 1975 - 2 April 1975
British Willow 11 April 1975 - 15 Aug 1975
3rd mate
British Unity 29 May 1976 -16 Oct 1976
British Progress 13 jan 1977 - 3 April 1977

Then to Bibby Bros
3rd mate on Lancashire 1 July 1977 - 8 Nov 1977
2nd mate on Dorsetshire 23 nov 1977 - 21 Apr 1978

Got my 1st mate's cert 1 march 1979

Then to Cable & Wireless
3rd mate on cable ventrue 5 March 1979 - 14 June 1979

Then I left the sea for the last time

nina
Nina -I am looking at my Discharge book and I also joined the Argosy on 25/7 1973 at Finnart and left on 27/8 1973 (not clear in the book where we left -do you know?)Captain Boyd .I can remember you as one of the first female deck officers. Little and feisty and nice you were. I was the Lecky Alan Scott

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Dave i was a Lecky (ALAN SCOTT )as well on BP TANKERS 1970-1974,Reliance,Gunner ,Patrol,Ambassador (before it sunk),Swift,Gannet ,Dragoon,Argosy.Hazel,Admiral.The only one that had 2 Leckies was the Argosy which was a "lightering" ship off the channel.We may have passed in the night .If anyone contacts you they may know me as well ,please pass this on.Cheers pal. Ps I was on the British Gunner when a Dodgem car was pinched from Butlins outside Barry docks .Did you hear about it?
Hi Alan
Welcome aboard SN.
I recognise your name but the Hazel is the only one on your list I served on.
You will no doubt get contact as I have done from former shipmates on here.
All the best to you
Dave

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Dave

Long time answering your post but remember the Iolair. I remember your pay off party. A case of Kaliber alchohol free larger. Tony Sullivan your replacement ended up manger of the Seillean an oil production vessel. If you pick this up I would like to hear from you.

John Orr
Hi John
Sorry I have only just picked up your post on here while looking again at this thread.
From memory were you 3/E.
Can remember leaving at the sametime as George Simpson and transferring to BP PET Dev on the platforms, Delta in my case and George to the Charlie.
Can remember young Tony Sullivan who obviously did very well for him self, must have been the good handover training I gave him!
Hope your keeping well as I am, now long retired and living in Bideford, North Devon.
All the best
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dave,

We sailed together on the Iolair, I was the first FSO on that pile of crap, "white knuckles" Nichols was my back to back. I first joined her in Brest and stuck it for 2 years.

Peter

·
Registered
12 Posts
can anyone help me find any of the lads i sailed with i was on the british tamar, scientist,test resolution 4 times in panama then onto the avon , mv mokran and my last trip was on the dragoon i joind in 1975 and left in 1982(Jester)
hi Ken did 2 trips on the resolution out in panama as chief cook 30/9/78 to 7/1/ 79 16/3/79 to 15/6/79 my have met cheers rich.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Len
I was galley boy on Kiwi 1976-1977 then promoted to A/S till 1978 then went back deep sea
remember a few things taffy Captain with flag post outside his cabin
the two John's Chief Stewards one being banger benson harry riggall cook from Goole few other things but I am sure you will remember the things I have mentioned
Gavin
Gavin
I was the other galley boy on the Kiwi when you served. I remember it took ages to get promoted to A/S as they couldn't get replacements, or didn't want to ! I remember Harry Riggall, I have a photo of a few of us !

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi Ken did 2 trips on the resolution out in panama as chief cook 30/9/78 to 7/1/ 79 16/3/79 to 15/6/79 may have met old man Doug Buckley, Cat Off, mike Winter.
I use to do a lot of fishing of the **** end, snapper, dorado, shark all sorts regards rich.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Hello to all,

My name is John Price and I sailed with BP tankers from 1961 until 1978. I would like to hear from any shipmates that are still around. I finished up as a Fleet manager for a German Company based in Limassol, Cyprus and my wife and I lived there for 8 years. Well retired now and living in the North East of England.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hello to all,

My name is John Price and I sailed with BP tankers from 1961 until 1978. I would like to hear from any shipmates that are still around. I finished up as a Fleet manager for a German Company based in Limassol, Cyprus and my wife and I lived there for 8 years. Well retired now and living in the North East of England.
Hi John,

So another ex BP Engineering Apprentice surfaces, I will send you a Shipsnostalgia email. I have seen your pother two postings

Graham Wallace

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hello to all,

Welcome aboard John,enjoy. I see you live in Billingham . I lived there for a while in 1970-75 in High Grange ,when it was a bit posher. Wish i had never left really. Merlin was the local pub .
What ship ps were you on ? Graham Wallace is now aware of you and he will send you in right direction to get in touch with ex shipmates. Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1982 - 84

Hi, I served on the Fidelity 82 Reliance 83 and Security in 83.
Remember some good guys on Brinley Jenkins team. Stevie Proud catering, Mickey Brown and Russ Daglish deck, Mark Gray galley. Great 1st trip, wish I could do it again!!

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
I sailed on BP ships from 1977 - 1980 SS Patience, MV Liberty, MV Loyalty, SS Respect, SS Renown, MV Trent. I would love to get some photos of those ships for 'old times sake' but BP cannot help. Anyone any ideas where I can get good quality photos so I can print them out?
Claretman, There are official BP photo's of Br Patience, Br Loyalty & Br Trent in my photo gallery. I've posted them on here, but they might have lost some quality. Perhaps they could be of some use? I don't know what the quality would be like for framing though. BPs "Photo & Information Department" were the people who supplied me with the originals. Other BP Tankers that I was on in my Photo Gallery as well, for those that are interested. (Thumb)

Attachments

41 - 60 of 68 Posts