Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was also a Leckie with BP from 1969 to 1975.

Here's a summary of my career with BP -

British Merlin
Joined 11th July 1969 Grangemouth Left 16th Jan 1970 Isle of Grain

British Fulmar
Joined 22nd March 1970 Luanda, Angola Left 14th Oct 1970 Capetown

British Crusader
Joined 1st Jan 1971 (YES!) Falmouth Left 28th June 1971 Grangemouth

British Mallard
Joined 27th Aug 1971 Isle of Grain Left 19th Feb 1972 Copenhagen

British Patrol
Joined 28 Apr 1972 Stockholm Left 24th Sep 1972 Rotterdam

I then had leave, and re-joined British Patrol
Joined 24th Dec 1972 Rotterdam Left 14th May 1973 Gothenburg

British Curlew
Joined 1st Aug 1973 Saltend Left 5th Jan 1974 Grangemouth

British Cygnet
Joined 22nd March 1974 Rotterdam Left 9th Aug 1974 Swansea

British Merlin
Joined 31st Oct 1974 Grangemouth Left 21st Mar 1975 Kristiansand

Then transferred to (what was then BP Petroleum Developments, later BP Exploration) in about August 1975, First on the Forties Field, later Buchan, Millar & Bruce Fields. There were quite a few ex-BP Tanker guys, as this was about the time that a lot of ships were laid up.

Finally made redundant in December 1995. Went to work in Perth, Western Australia for 18 months, and finished my working career with AMEC in Aberdeen (on BP contract work !)

Now retired and living in Aberdeenshire.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Anyone remember or heard lately from Geoff Meadway (Geoffrey P. Meadway) - BP Navigating Cadet with me in Plymouth back in the 1970s. I seem to remember he possibly came from Sussex
We shared a room in Standard House for our final phase there, he had a yellow Messerschmitt car then!
Spoke to him once after that when he was in dry-dock on a BP job in Singapore and I was with Wallem Shipmanagement on the Nordic Breeze.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steph Broster was Third Mate on my first trip as Deck Boy. We both joined the British Loyalty at RAK July 4th 1979.

Mick Crawford
My wife & I joined the Loyalty with you (Steve & Jean Chadwick). We actually shared a hotel suite with Steph on the first night we arrived in Sharjah. Great trip (and cheap honeymoon) coasting S.Africa and payoff from Seyshelles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i was a J. O. S on the British Hussar and i joined her at dry dock in Amsterdam on the 10th May 1971 and paid off at Camel Lairds Yard at Birkenhead on 24th June 1972. The Captain was A. Hicks i remember him for walking miles on the deck outside his cabin His wife joined him on board a couple of times. Some of the lads that i remember were Gordon Hemms, Nobby Clarke, Davie McKenna from Middlesbrough Ronnie Buck, Bosun Eddie, Ron Bradey from Dundee , we did a lot of trips down the Med , Mombassa and Portland in the States. one of the officer cadets i struck up a friendship with was a lad called Stephen from Beverly in Yorkshire.I wonder what has become of them all. towards the end of the trip at Birkenhead there was a lot of fighting between the lads and it got nasty i my self got attacked by an Irish AB one night in the bar after a film show we started clearing up and he just went for me i was only just 18 and i guess he didn't like the way i was pushing the broom, luckily for me Gordon Hemms put him to sleep with a couple of cracking left and right handers, i was just a kid and wouldn't have stood a chance he left me alone after that thank god. One of the engineers had his wife with him and luckily i think she was a nurse If i remember right her name was Sally she came into her own one day when one of the Fireman called Joe fell all the way down a flight of stairs and did a real job on his head and she got him all stitched up and sorted till we got to Genoa when he went to Hospital. Another incident that i recall was a very old AB called Solly we were doing something to the ropes up on the bow when the rope he was holding snatched back to the winch and pulled him into the capstan and broke his hip and leg we were about 3hrs out from Banias in Syria to Trieste and he was air lifted by helicopter from RAF Akritiri in Cyprus to hospital. Happy days and great mates i miss it all ,and i still have my crossing the line cert from on board the buggers did a lovely job on my head they gave me a hot cross bun hair cut and covered me in flower i did look nice i got them to shave all my hair off and and prayed to god that we didnt get Lands End for orders before it grew back my mum bless her would have killed me. Just a few memories my nickname on board was Earings. Take care everyone.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts