Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a copy of the above book. It features photos of almost every vessel ever owned by the Group plus a short potted history of each vessel from launch to scrap. As a factual reference book it is very good but I was disappointed in some ways as there are very few anecdotes (& there must be many that could be told). For example, there is no mention of the collision between the Aviator & the Crystal Jewell, no mention of the fire aboard the Queen. However, the first few chapters on the development of the fleet from 1915 to the current day are excellent with plenty of illustrations & cutaway drawings of vessels & equipment. Not cheap at £40 but you can get a 10% discount if purchased direct from the publishers, Chatham Publishing. ISBN No:1861762518.
John_F

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I thought it was the Br Ambassador and the Crystal Jewell?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
books

Norman L Middlemiss also put out a book on BP,but I don't have the isbn#for it however he also put out two books titled "the travels of the Tramps" isbn#s 1871128080 and 1871128021 which explore the history of tramp ship companies,very interesting reading

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vix said:
I thought it was the Br Ambassador and the Crystal Jewell?
Vix,
It was definitely the Aviator that was in collision with the Crystal Jewell. The Ambassador had its own event when she sank while en route from Ras Tanura to Los Angeles, about 200 miles west of Iwojima, on 13th January 1975. There were no casualties.
Kind regards,
John F

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hamish Mackintosh said:
Norman L Middlemiss also put out a book on BP,but I don't have the isbn#for it however he also put out two books titled "the travels of the Tramps" isbn#s 1871128080 and 1871128021 which explore the history of tramp ship companies,very interesting reading
Hamish,
The ISBN No for Norman Middlemiss's (revised May 2005) edition is 187112803X. This edition features a completely different set of photos from the previous 2 editions.
Regards,
John F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
B P Tankers Book

I was wondering if there was anything in the book about the British Chemist. My Dad, Jim Gillies, was a member of the crew during
World War 2. I would consider buying the book if there was either a
picture of her or something in the text.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mv British Chemist

JEAN GOODWILLIE said:
I was wondering if there was anything in the book about the British Chemist. My Dad, Jim Gillies, was a member of the crew during
World War 2. I would consider buying the book if there was either a
picture of her or something in the text.
Jean,
There is no photo of the British Chemist although there is some text, giving her details, measurements, launch & scrap dates. There is a photo of her sister ship built by the same ship yard - the British Aviator which was built the year before the Chemist. If you don't want to incur the cost of the book for these details then send me a PM & I will forward them to you.
Regards,
John F

·
Registered
972 Posts
British Patrol

Anyone got a pic of the British Patrol,....running from Skoldvic to North Cape, blew a piston, one furnance front collapsed, couldn't hold pressure or water in boilers, chipped and buckled the blades on screw from ice, she was running like a lame dog..Rattled and shook back to Tilbury, and powers to be said that would be her last trip, (nackers yard material).....Going down the stream at Middlesbrough, and guess what we passed..as long as they could sail and make a quid, keep them afloat.
Regards
Frank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frank Holleran said:
Anyone got a pic of the British Patrol,....running from Skoldvic to North Cape, blew a piston, one furnance front collapsed, couldn't hold pressure or water in boilers, chipped and buckled the blades on screw from ice, she was running like a lame dog..Rattled and shook back to Tilbury, and powers to be said that would be her last trip, (nackers yard material).....Going down the stream at Middlesbrough, and guess what we passed..as long as they could sail and make a quid, keep them afloat.
Regards
Frank.
Frank,
Picture of the Patrol attached. She was built by Swan Hunter in 1954 for BP, of 16,518 dwt. In July 73 she was sold to Marifoam Shipping of Cyprus & renamed Maripatrol. In early 1980 she was sold again to Fiorito Maritime Agency, Cyprus & renamed Nono Maro. On 14.6.80 she suffered an explosion while lying alongside at Flushing. She was subsequently sold for scrap & arrived at Cartagena on 18.3.81 for demolition.
Details from Norman Middlemiss - The British Tankers.
Photo by J.K.Byass & taken from BP Tankers: A Group Fleet History.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thanks for the pic John re: British Patrol..suprised to hear she went on so long after the late sixties..if there was an explosion, it wouldnt surprise me if it wasnt in the Boiler room, a bloody war zone in there. Thanks again.
Regards
Frank

·
Registered
293 Posts
Didn't the Patrol go "deep sea" in 1966 during the seamans strike along with the Workman. That must have been some trip. I was on the Centaur at the time and we spent weeks going from the Gulf to the Med via the Cape, a lot of the time at 12 1/2 knots.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re:British Patrol...Dont know about the deep sea trip, but the trip up to the ice was a dog of a trip, joined her in the Isle of Grain and from a distance looked like the rust was holding her together...when we got back they anchored in the stream and filled the for'd tanks with sea water to lift her ar*e out of the water to inspect the damage done to the screw..but the word was she was finished...(then again dont 'listen to rumours')
Regards
Frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hamish Mackintosh said:
Greetings.
Any pictures of the "Splendour" and the "Reliance" circa 1954 out there?
Hamish,
As requested, photos of the Splendour & Reliance attached.
British Reliance details: She was launched 23.9.1949 & completed by Sir J.Laing & Sons on 12.2.1950, of 16,687 dwt. In June 1973 she was sold to Atlantic Research Ltd., Bermuda, & renamed Bangor Bay. In 1974 she was sold again to Suffolk Navigation Co., Greece & renamed Ocean Princess. She eventually went for scrap in March 1975 at Castellon.
British Splendour details: She was launched 16.8.1950 & completed by Swan Hunter on 20.12.1950, of 16,823 dwt. She spent her entire life with BP before going for scrap in March 1972.
Details & photo of the Splendour from Norman Middlemiss: The British Tankers.
Photo of Reliance from BP Tankers: A Group Fleet History (World Ship Society photo)
Regards,
John F

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
would anyone out there have a photo of the british vigilance. i sailed in her in 1958
also the british prestige 1963
tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tom said:
would anyone out there have a photo of the british vigilance. i sailed in her in 1958
also the british prestige 1963
tom
Tom,
As requested, photos of the Vigilance & Prestige attached. I sailed on the Vigilance's only sister, the Renown in 1963 as 3/O & she was a very comfortable (but unhappy) ship.
British Vigilance details: She was completed by Sir J.Laing & Sons, Sunderland in May 1957. She spent her entire life with BP & was scrapped at Vinaroz in February 1973.
British Prestige details: She was completed by Vickers Armstrong, Barrow in February 1962. She spent her entire short life with BP & was scrapped at Kaohsiung in November 1975.
All details & photos from Norman Middlemiss: The British Tankers.
Kind regards,
John F

Attachments

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
British Aviator/ Crystal Jewel

As a newly joined member I have read these posts with great interest as I joined the "Aviator" as a 2nd trip apprentice as part of her "new crew" on re-manning the vessel following her repairs after the collision. As was the company policy at the time, the whole of the crew on board during the collision were dispersed to the four corners of the fleet and a new crew signed on. There were lots of rumours about the ship being haunted by the ghost of the poor woman who lost her life in the collision but none of us ever saw her. She was, in fact, a very happy ship while I was on her and the scariest thing I encountered was when a lot of us took one of the motor life boats on a picnic and the lagging round the exhuast, (oil soaked), caught fire. The Mate promptly emptied the CTC extinguisher onto the fire which put it out but nearly did for us all with the Phosgene gas produced in the process! If you wanted a taste of trenches in 1914/18 just try one of these on a real fire!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Group Fleet History

Thanks for the information about the book. Have just received my copy in the post this morning (£32). From first perusal it certainly appears to be an excellent reference. Notwithstanding its focus on the tanker fleet I was a little disappointed to see the only photo of the "North Sea" vessels being represented by the Forties Kiwi. Your point about the fleet incidents like the 'Aviator collision and fire on the 'Queen are well taken, but there are probably so many that we are talking about another book!. Incidentally there is no mention about the British Baron and Duke, if my memeory serves me correctly, being designated towing vessels and equipped with special towing winches on the poop.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts