Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
glenn said:
here is the Radar plots of the CRYSTAL JEWEL & the BRITISH AVIATOR taken from the Times Atlas & Encylopaedia of the Sea. The full story is in there
Glenn, thanks for posting that - very useful and rather dramatic. (Applause)

+

John a great thread - well done Sir. (Applause)

·
Registered
22 Posts
British Scout

John_F said:
Azimuth,
There is a photo of her in the gallery:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2550/sort/1/cat/503/page/1
She was built by Swan Hunter & completed on 13th October 1922. She got safely through the war & didn't go for scrap until April 1957 - 35 years with BP, not bad for a tanker.
Kind regards,
John F
Many thanks. More or less as I remember her with affection. The BP funnel logo is an addition since my time which is now more distant than I care to think about!

·
Registered
344 Posts
British Gratitude

Hi Has anyone got a photo of Br Gratitude, she was my first "on my own"
ship as R/O in 1955, mostly on the Baltic/Norway/Grangemouth run and I believe she was the first BTC tanker to have a BP logo on the chimney, I
did hear a rumour she ran aground on Bornholm Island after I left her and was
shanghaid for a few years on the Indian Coast with BI
Ern Barrett

·
Registered
66 Posts
British Gratitude

ernhelenbarrett said:
ship as R/O in 1955, mostly on the Baltic/Norway/Grangemouth run and I believe she was the first BTC tanker to have a BP logo on the chimney, I
Ern Barrett
Ern,
Photo of British Gratitude prior to bp logo on funnel, on my website (must get round to updating it) www.macjackson.net page 2, can rescan from BP original and forward to you, send pm if required.
Regards,
Mac

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
azimuth said:
Anyone remember the "British Scout?" Probably the smallest of the fleet and consequently was capable of performing some intersting gymnastic movement. I believe I have a photograph of her alongside at Plymouth. I was lucky enough to see a beautiful sustained example of St. Elmo's Fire play from stem to stern, from rail to mast-head. Spooky!
I also put another pic of the Scout on the other BP thread-- attached again for your info

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
ernhelenbarrett said:
Ern Barrett
Ern,
Here's another one to complement Macjack's.
Taken from BP Tankers: A Group Fleet History (Harvey & Solly)
Kind regards,
John.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
BP Aden tugs

I am building a website about the BP tugs and tuggies (my dad was engineerr on BP Warden), does the book have any info on Farahmand, Firuzmand renambed BP Guard and BP Warden after they escaped to Aden from persia ? I am very short of info for the site, so anything is likely to be of use !!! [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I am building a website about the BP tugs and tuggies (my dad was engineerr on BP Warden), does the book have any info on Farahmand, Firuzmand renambed BP Guard and BP Warden after they escaped to Aden from persia ? I am very short of info for the site, so anything is likely to be of use !!! [email protected]
Gordon,
Farahmand was launched in May 1950 by Ferguson Bros (Port Glasgow) Ltd for the Petroleum Steamship Company Ltd. She was completed in August of that year bor the British Tanker Co. (BP). In 1955 she was renamed BP Guard. In 1972 she was transferred to the BP Clyde Tanker Co. In 1975 she was sold to Gulf Shipping Co S.A. & renamed Farrokh. In 1998 her entry was removed from Lloyds Registry as her continued existence was in doubt.
Firuzmand was launched in November 1950 by Scott & Sons, Bowling, for the Petroleum Steamship Company Ltd. She was completed in February 1951 for the British Tanker Co. (BP). In 1955 she was renamed BP Warden. In 1972 she was transferred to the BP Clyde Tanker Co. In 1976 she was sold to Gulf Shipping Co S.A. & renamed Firouzmand. In 1998 her entry was removed from Lloyds Registry as her continued existence was in doubt.
Photo attached of Farahmand - Regret that I do not have one of Firuzmand.
Photo & details from BP Tankers - A Group Fleet History. (Harvey & Solly)
If you need measurements, tonnage, etc., let me know.
Kind regards,
John F.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Newbie here ..... I can confirm the Br Ambassador did sink. Minor correction - it was 600m from Iwo Jima. It was also bl&&dy cold and wet - especially in the lifeboat. I was 2/O at the time. An interesting voyage all round. 1/O &3/O both sent home in disgrace and then we sank. Deep joy !!!
Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
I received on of the marine publications from Europe yesterday and I see in one of the pictures of the British Fidelity,that BP or BTC as it was known have reverted to their old stack marks of the early fifties,perhaps times are changing again they say everything goes round in circles,or is that just womens fashions

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
They changed the funnel colorus back in the early 90s. The reason for this was that the PR department told them to get rid of the BP Shield from the funnel, as this would generate adverse publicity should there be an accident. That is, everyone would know who the ship belonged to!
They failed to grasp that it was easy enough if you had a copy of Lloyds List...
That and they still kept the 'British' prefix.
Shell, Esso and Chevron followed suit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I, too sailed with Stew LeFevre, when I was first trip Apprentice and he 2/0 on the CORPORAL in 55/56. Great guy, he taught me how to iron shirts and his words stick with me to this day. His young son came on a coastal voyage with us and all he ever ate was a dollop of tomato sauce on his plate. If anyone does the book, I've got some photos! Thanks for the memory!
Best wishes
Rod

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi macjak

I am really impressed that you have the little picture of "two whistles Joe" from the apprentices news letter from all those years ago, I wonder if anyone has a picture of "Rudolph" his engineering mate when the engineering apprentices appeared on the scene
Robert

·
Registered
315 Posts
I sailed with Stuart LeFevre on probably his last seagoing command (Reliance, vlcc), perhaps just before he went to Aberdeen. Joined in Curacao and went round to the gulf, I think he left in Capetown. I was 2/0 and he was great to sail with, completely laid back, just let you get on with the job.
Geoff.

·
Registered
344 Posts
To John F
Many thanks for the photo of BR Gratitude, forgot my password so only got back onto the site yesterday Many thanks once again. Do you know if she did run aground in the Baltic
Regards Ern Barrett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
To John F
Many thanks for the photo of BR Gratitude, forgot my password so only got back onto the site yesterday Many thanks once again. Do you know if she did run aground in the Baltic
Regards Ern Barrett
Ern,
Sorry - I've no information as to whether she went aground in the Baltic. Maybe Alastair or another BP member can help.
Kind regards,
John

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ern, had a good trawl through all my sources but couldn't find any mention of the British Gratitude grounding off Bornholm which doesn't mean she didn't, just can't find any evidence. Thought you might be interested in this snipit about the Gratitude which was news to me: "During 1952 BP signed contracts with BECHTEL of the USA and WIMPEY of the UK for building the new refinery at little Aden which began in November 1952. It was concluded after 21 months on 15th July 1954. The first British tanker - called British Gratitude- carrying Kuwaiti crude oil arrived at Aden on 29th July 1954." Nice trip for her!
Regards,
Alastair

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sailed with Stuart LeFevre on probably his last seagoing command (Reliance, vlcc), perhaps just before he went to Aberdeen. Joined in Curacao and went round to the gulf, I think he left in Capetown. I was 2/0 and he was great to sail with, completely laid back, just let you get on with the job.
Geoff.
Hello Geoff,
I sailed with Stuart maiden voyage "British Industry" Feb 1957(amongst the first with goal posts ? ) he 2/0 I as 3/0 Capt Jefferies. Stuart introduced me to my wife, still in touch. He is still as always "Laid Back" enjoying life, very involved with bowling club Woodland Trust, Rotary Club, swims most mornings.Stuart on bicycle " British Reliance" and Stuart prize winner 2005!.
Regards,
Mac.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
British Gratitude

Ern, had a good trawl through all my sources but couldn't find any mention of the British Gratitude grounding off Bornholm which doesn't mean she didn't, just can't find any evidence. Thought you might be interested in this snipit about the Gratitude which was news to me: "During 1952 BP signed contracts with BECHTEL of the USA and WIMPEY of the UK for building the new refinery at little Aden which began in November 1952. It was concluded after 21 months on 15th July 1954. The first British tanker - called British Gratitude- carrying Kuwaiti crude oil arrived at Aden on 29th July 1954." Nice trip for her!
Regards,
Alastair
I Joined "British Gratitude" Smiths Dock April 1955 signed off IOG Dec 1955Nav Apprentice, Capt Skea. I recall from discharge book (running agreement?) we were doing a lot of continental and Scandinavian runs, I also recall going aground for a short period in Scandinavia, I cannot recall any details whatsoever, or even that it was the Gratitude - 50 yrs ago, but it could tie in. The only other "coasting I did was on the Drummer 1957.
Regards,
Mac.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 109 Posts