1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone knows much about these two historic shipping lines:

1. US & Brazil Mail SSC; and
2. Liverpool Brazil and River Plate company

I'm interest to know what happened to them and if they still exist so that I can contact someone to see what records survived of their voyages. I'm particular interested in voyages between Rio De Janeiro and New York between 1889 and 1891. I wondered if there is a schedule somewhere showing the timetables.

In my research I couldn't find much about US & Brazil Mail SSC. I found the owner of Liverpool Brazil and River Plate was Lamport and Holt (L&H) which appears to be Blue Star Line.

Any help, comments gratefully received.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Neil,
I know a tiny bit. The mail craze got somewhat overshadowed during this period by the craze for rubber, which turned Brazil from quiet coffees and cigars to an industrial rubber collecting gold mine. The mail ships, at least some, turn cargo for mail into cargo for people. The Amazon and the Plate, or Plata, or Plat depending on which country, was the Silver River. The time tables I don't have, but I have found a site in Spanish that lists all of the ships and when they first Launched for L&H. I have found many of the passenger lists coming into New York during that time from Rio and from where the Mail and Plate lanes ran, if that is what you might be interested in. Some of my ancestors came from Rio to NY in 1898 to 1927, so those records are fragile, but familiar, and can be found on line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts