Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard 06.30 CET on French radio that the Calypso, cruise liner? is on fire off SE coast of England with 700? aboard. Haven't been able to find any confirmation......

·
Registered
161 Posts
ITV news cofirmed engine room fire and passengers ordered to lifeboats (?) Fire extinguished and inspection to be carried out to see if she is able to return to port under her own steam. They said Tilbury.

Regards

Allan

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
She is coming into Southampton under tow I understand by Anglia Monarch. I may go over to see her. There are three cruise ships in today, Oceana, Legend of the Seas, and Sea Princess. Calypso was sailing from Tilbury to St Peter Port Guernsey. David

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Radio Solent is saying she could come into Southampton. Calypso is 11,162 gt. If she comes into Southampton while I am over there, I will post some pictures on the site. David

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Just heard that Calypso in definitely coming into Southampton to access damage. Local coastguard just been speaking to Radio Solent. David

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Have just posted pictures of Calypso being towed up Southampton Water. Sorry for poor quaility and spelling mistake of the tug towing her, but I am desperately tired and hungry.

I have been over Southampton all day waiting for her staying at the Red Funnel terminal in case she went down the the western docks. What a place Red Funnel and Ocean Terminal is. The cafe has very limted food, which costs an arm and a leg. So I had nothing to eat all day not wanting to go into town unless I missed her. A person told me she was waiting off Ryde waiting for the three cruise ships to leave who all left at 1700, Sea Princess, Legend of the Seas, and Oceana. So I to decide catch the 1900 ferry back to Cowes hoping we would pass her up Southampton Water because the weather was closing in fast. Luckily, I just managed to see her through the pouring rain and fog. I am now very VERY tired, and off to bed having done what I set out to achieve to put her pictures on the site when learning she was to be towed into Southampton. But I won't go without my usual afternoon nap every day. So if another ship catches fire, and comes to Southampton, I may give it a miss for a day or two?!!. David

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Thanks to All

It is nice to be kept up to date by members od SN as opposed to worlsd News > I would not have known about this except by SN . Keep up the good work ! .
Derek

·
Banned
3 Posts
Living on the other side of the world and being kept up to date by members-on-the-scene, has been great. Learnt and seen more from SN than we have from news bulletins.
Great stuff guys. (Applause)

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yea David,
Congrats from Downunder...
Hell would have frozen before we got news of anything like this in the Oz print media.
Regards
David D.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
David:
Thanks for going beyond the call of duty to get accurate info and pic's to the SN readership. First news we got in Canada was at 0900 on our TV stations mentioning that an "English" cruise ship had caught fire. Of course our well educated, super jock journalists don't know the difference between England and the English Channel. I immediately checked the SN postings to get the true story.
Hope you finally got a decent meal and a good kip.
Bob

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Many thanks for above comments, and comments on the pictures I took. Yes, I did get a quick bite to eat Bob before hitting the sack!. But I was determined to get those pictures which is why I stuck around all day dodging the heavy showers, and trying to find out where she was. A chap who works on the Netley ferry was in contact with his mate who was tuned into VTS. Like a fool, I did not take my own scanner. But at 1730ish when all three cruise ships had gone, this chap told me that she was west of Ryde inbound and ETA at Dock Head was 1930. So I knew that if I caught the 1900 Red Funnel car ferry we should meet her in Southampton Water. We passed her around Fawley, but the weather was closing in fast. I tried to get behind a baulkhead to shelter from the rain, but it was touch and go if the fog would clear enough to see her, but there was just enough visibility and my waiting was not in vain!!.

Will keep you updated on her progress because Radio Solent is very good at getting up to date information now that she is on their patch. David

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The Calyso in Southampton

Good work indeed David.!...you poor, but dedicated fellow.!

The Claypso is shown at present on berths 38 / 39 and a planned movement to berth 102 is booked for sometime tomorrow morning.

For people interested in Southampton movements, the port has an excellent website -

www.southamptonvts.co.uk

As well as giving detailed movements reports, there is also a radar map on it, where you can track ships.

From Guernsey The Calypso was due to sail to Invergordon (12th), Stornaway (13th), Tobermory (14th), Dublin (15th), Scilly Isles (16th) and Guernsey on the 17th, then back to Tilbury.

Cheers,

Rushie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts