Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the Shell Tanker "Achatina" at the fitting out berth at Bremer Vulkan in early December 1958. Astern of us was a Liner also fitting out, and for the life of me I cannot remember which one. Can anyone jolt my memory?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Bremen

The old Cie Sudatlantique liner Pasteur (1939; 29,253 tons) spent her post-war years as a troopship, until she was laid-up in 1956. She was sold to North German Lloyd the following year and arrived at Bremer Vulkan in January 1958 for rebuilding and for new boilers. She was renamed Bremen and sailed on her first voyage in July 1959.

Fred (Thumb)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fred henderson said:
The old Cie Sudatlantique liner Pasteur (1939; 29,253 tons) spent her post-war years as a troopship, until she was laid-up in 1956. She was sold to North German Lloyd the following year and arrived at Bremer Vulkan in January 1958 for rebuilding and for new boilers. She was renamed Bremen and sailed on her first voyage in July 1959.

Fred (Thumb)
Fred, Many thanks that is it. We actually sailed on the maiden voyage on Dec.4th. but returned to Bremer Vulkan on May 17th.1959 to repair some serious weather damage. That would have been the time we were ahead of the Bremen.Great stuff. Many thanks. Colin

·
Registered
278 Posts
Did the Pasteur not have the record of the largest stack at one time,I remember seeing her a few times in the Med and in transit at the Suez canal

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Dear All,
Bremer Vulkan, can anyone confirm that Bremer Vulkan has or had a fabulous bridge front plaque, showing Thor at his forge.
I understand that a well known British Company (let it be whispered Blue *) were refused the plaque during a shipyard dispute.
Yours aye,
John Kelly
R694263

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
janbonde said:
Did the Pasteur not have the record of the largest stack at one time,I remember seeing her a few times in the Med and in transit at the Suez canal
I do not no if Pasteur had the largest stack at the time, but it was certainly huge. She is a ship that generates a lot support and condemnation. I think she was a badly balanced, ugly design but others love her.
There is a photo in the gallery: - http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4676

Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts