Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
British Argosy off Cape Town, South Africa 01/01/1969 I joined her later in June 1969 Loch Long, Scotland as a second trip deck boy, and off to Kharg Island we went. I paid off in Tilbury 17th August 1969 and we where told it was the biggest ship that had ever sailed that far up the Thames, and my small claim to fame was that I was "on the Wheel" all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
...and I was 2/O on this my last BP Tanker in '75. Did the 'Hole-in-the-Wall' southbound out of the Gulf which was generally considered a no-no undertaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
paul0510 said:
...and I was 2/O on this my last BP Tanker in '75. Did the 'Hole-in-the-Wall' southbound out of the Gulf which was generally considered a no-no undertaking.
Paul,
We were going to attempt it on the British Renown (only 16,000 tons!) but at the last minute the old man got cold feet. I have a photo somewhere of "The Hole" & will try to find it. There is a very good description & photos of this transit on Ambrose Jones site:
http://www.free-internet.co.uk/users/ambrose.jones/The_Quoins.html
Regards,
John

·
Registered
960 Posts
paul0510 said:
There were a few places which were in the no-go category for BP tankers, it would void the insurance. I know that the passage north of the islands off the Omani coast (Kuria Muria ?) was one, couldn't go there on Luxor when she was on BP charter, and I imagine the hole would also be. Went through on Luminetta with the engine room serang on the wheel !

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help with some info, or photos would be marvellous, of the Bristish Argosy when she dry-docked at Camell Lairds on the Mersey in Aug / Sept 1972.

My father was the 1st mate and had also previously skippered her.

I remember the time well as I was able to visit and stay on the ship whilst she was in port.

I remember that she made it into the dry dock with feet to spare, her bows overhanging the dockyard and her stern above the river! She was 112000 tons!

The night before they were due to sail to the Gulf the ship was boarded by dockers who broke into the freezers and threw the contents into the river, where they were collected by people in boats. I believe that the incident became so high profile that BP refused to dry dock any of their ships in the UK.

Any info is welcome.

Cheers,

Rushie

·
Banned
8 Posts
They must have changed their minds again Rushie, as my records show I piloted the British Spey in 1979 the British Commadore in 1980 the British Tamar in 1988 and 1997 also the Border Castle by then also under BP in 1979, all in the Tyne. Bearing in mind I was one of fifty odd Pilots on the Tyne in the 1970s they must have been drydocking on the Tyne quite often then.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
rushie said:
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help with some info, or photos would be marvellous, of the Bristish Argosy when she dry-docked at Camell Lairds on the Mersey in Aug / Sept 1972.

My father was the 1st mate and had also previously skippered her.

I remember the time well as I was able to visit and stay on the ship whilst she was in port.

I remember that she made it into the dry dock with feet to spare, her bows overhanging the dockyard and her stern above the river! She was 112000 tons!

The night before they were due to sail to the Gulf the ship was boarded by dockers who broke into the freezers and threw the contents into the river, where they were collected by people in boats. I believe that the incident became so high profile that BP refused to dry dock any of their ships in the UK.

Any info is welcome.

Cheers,

Rushie
Rushie
Theres a photo of her at sea on the following webpage

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/british argosy.html

I think some one is pulling your leg as BP docked alot of Vessels in Uk before and after that date as I was on two at Smiths Docks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks mate....apparently mechanically she was a b*gger to handle...often not reaching the speeds or performances she was apparently built for, breakdowns were also frequent. One of the last ss ships they had....at least my dad gained his first command on on eof the worst they could have supplied him with..!!

Cheers,

Rushie

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
They must have changed their minds again Rushie, as my records show I piloted the British Spey in 1979 the British Commadore in 1980 the British Tamar in 1988 and 1997 also the Border Castle by then also under BP in 1979, all in the Tyne. Bearing in mind I was one of fifty odd Pilots on the Tyne in the 1970s they must have been drydocking on the Tyne quite often then.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mate,

Perhaps it was a ban on visiting the thieving yards of Cammell Lairds and not a UK thing then. On the whole...very sad. Perhaps the yard can look back and think of what it missed out on

Cheers Rushie

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I agree. Cammell Laird is one of many fine British shipyards and shipbuilders.

Unfortunately on this occassion they let themselves down. That has precluded in downscaling over the years and now the yard, like most other British yards they have degenerated into a token political gesture to keep them open. The Commy union led disruptions of the early 70's (same time the British Argosy got robbed) led to the shambles in the 80's when any Gov said..."got yourselves to blame...get on with it"...I have some sympathy now as I do not wish to see a yard with so much history, and some proud workforce (who were too afraid to speak up during the 70's lightning strike periods) being dissused.

Why the hell was Queen Mary 2 built in France under a Labour Gov..?

Anyway...rant over..!

Fact is British Argosy was sent to a British yard for overhaul...and was robbed. Truly not in the true British fashion of things in my book!

Cheers,

Rushie

·
Registered
92 Posts
It was around early 1960 ish when first British neuclear sub visited cammel laird for one reason or another. Security was very high,nobody was allowed near They put her on the end of a jetty away from prying eyes. 24 our gaurd etc. etc. In the morning when the sun came up painted along her side in white paint.

LIVERPOOL RAG

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just a prelude...

Forgot to mention my dad's name - he was Gareth Roberts.

If anyone served on the Argosy between Dec 70 and May 72 I'd be delighted to hear from you!!

One entry in his record book shows Clyde Ports. I can only assume this may refer to the time he went to Garrelochead. Anyone got any other ideas or info..?

Cheers,

Rushie.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
rushie said:
Just a prelude...

Forgot to mention my dad's name - he was Gareth Roberts.

If anyone served on the Argosy between Dec 70 and May 72 I'd be delighted to hear from you!!

One entry in his record book shows Clyde Ports. I can only assume this may refer to the time he went to Garrelochead. Anyone got any other ideas or info..?

Cheers,

Rushie.
British Argosy on the Clyde .. must have been Finnart Oil Terminal, Loch Long. Garelochhead is over the hill from Finnart. (Thumb)

·
Banned
8 Posts
I dont think QM2 would have been a government decision rushie and to say commie unions were to blame for the closure of shipyards is an over simplification I think.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Jeff,

Saw a superb picture (slide show last night) of the Britsh Hazel arriving on the Tyne for dry-docking in 1969....were you around for that one..?

Cheers,

Rushie.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry just missed me I see I signed on British argosy 27/11/72

One of the best ships I sailed on crew wise.

BTW I joined Esso Severn before maiden Voyage, in the Canada Dock Liverpool.

She had been towed over from Cammel Laird as the yard was on strike.

I distinctly remember the hook on my cabin door where some one had drilled 3 holes before getting the position right.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Cheers Harry,

Dad had sailed on her as Mate before taking command, and he enjoyed the ship...although he used to tell me that she was rather prone to "mechanical faults".!

She was absolutely huge compared to his other ships that I'd visited.!....then I went on the Shoush, and the Argosy was like a dinky toy.!

Rushie

1 - 20 of 81 Posts