Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing a short profile on British Hussar and would be interested in any anecdotes of members who may have sailed on her; also when the vessel was sold by BP, and when she was sold for demolition.

I only found this website today, so this is my first foray at posting something. I hope someone out there can help.

Many thanks for reading this.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
Welcome to the site David, always a good place to find out information! Good crowd on here too. Heres the info I have on her:

S.T. British Hussar
32341 grt, 18391 nrt, 52546 dwt
Length: 759 feet 8, Breadth: 97 feet 3, Draught: 42 feet 9
Port of Registry: London
Propulsion: 2 Steam turbines dr geared to sc shaft 16000shp 15.5 knots machy aft.
23.01.1962 Launched by John Brown & Co Ltd, Clydebank.
30.05.1962 Completed and handed over to the BP Tanker Company Ltd.
26.12.1975 Arrived at Kaoshiung pending sale for scrap.
05.01.1976 Sold for demolition to local breakers.

One of our members should be able to supply a photo.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi David and welcome aboard our site,

As you can see the reply's have started coming in allready and I'm sure someone will point you in the direction of some photo's as well. Hope you enjoy the site and what we have to offer and we look forward to seeing any photo's etc you think our members would be interested in.

Julian

G

·
welcome frae Bonnie Scotland

As they you don't have to be mad here
But It sure does help.
And all the help you will ever need
Best Banter on the net.
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
David,
Have you tried BP direct? They supplied me with photos of all the vessels on which I served. Try e-mailing Beverley Meader at BP if she's still there:
[email protected]
She was very helpful. Make sure you let her know which Hussar you want a picture of as there were at least 2 of them.
Kind regards,
John_F

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Look no further than the Tankers Forum for a excellent piece of artwork by our appropriately named member,Tanker!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,

Thanks for the contact name. I will approach BP. I received some good information from another member also.

Best regards,
David

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the site David, always a good place to find out information! Good crowd on here too. Heres the info I have on her:

S.T. British Hussar
32341 grt, 18391 nrt, 52546 dwt
Length: 759 feet 8, Breadth: 97 feet 3, Draught: 42 feet 9
Port of Registry: London
Propulsion: 2 Steam turbines dr geared to sc shaft 16000shp 15.5 knots machy aft.
23.01.1962 Launched by John Brown & Co Ltd, Clydebank.
30.05.1962 Completed and handed over to the BP Tanker Company Ltd.
26.12.1975 Arrived at Kaoshiung pending sale for scrap.
05.01.1976 Sold for demolition to local breakers.

One of our members should be able to supply a photo.
Ahoy James,
Well it should be me to post the wanted HUSSAR,taken on 07-07-1971 on the Rotterdam New Waterway.
Found some unusually shots of BP tankers taken in the early 70's in the "old box":)
Will post more of them in the next coming days,as most of them are rare found.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ruud,

If your dates are correct, I was C/E on the Hussar when they were taken.

According to my records we were at Rotterdam for repairs from 5th to the 11th July 1971. But as the previous port had been Mersa El Brega I think we must have discharged at Rotterdam and then proceeded for repairs. Unfortunately I cannot remember what repairs were carried out.

After leaving Amsterdam drydock in May, we had experienced problems with the astern guarding valve leaking and boiler tube failure, so it may have been connected with these.

I also notice that I have written C/E £4,116.00 to £5,382.00, min'm after 7 yrs £4,608.00! These are obviously the new rates of pay for that year, can anyone supply a ball park figure for the present rates for comparison.

Regards.

Gerry Taylor

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi,
The British Hussar was my first ship as N/A . Joined her at Angle bay Sept 1967. Spent the next 5.5 months doing the Cape run to the Gulf.............fairly un-eventful really but a happy ship as I remember. Skipper was Captain Temple who had his wife with him. The only event comes to mind was a very sad one. We were about midway between the Canaries and Cape Town when the 4th Engineer who I had joined with took ill and died. He collapsed in the engine room and passed away about 2 hours later. The best diagnosis was a Brain tumour ! The captains wife was a nurse so we had some medical help.About 8 hours After he died and with agreement with the relevant authorities and his wife we buried him at sea. He was sewn into a canvas bag and weighed down with a shackle. The Captain did the service. We stopped and after he went over the side the ship circled the spot blowing the horn. A number of officers threw there caps in the sea as you can imagine a very emotional moment for all. His wife visited us when we came back to the I.O.G.

John Hunter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahoy! Henniganol, Aka, Chief Tailor,
Joined 'Hussar' Amsterdam Floating Dry dock 'May 71'
Had great time on her. Though dont remember many of the crew. Cook was a Scot.2nd cook a Sunderlander, Second Engineer had his wife with him, lovley girl, Fell out with 2nd/cook, Her tab'naps were better than his.
Only lowly mess-man myself, First trip B.P, Finally paid off as engineers stwd.in 'Ras el' if memory serves, Discharge book not available but will look up dates when next home, did a few more years With the company ended up as Cat/off before going private, Happy days of polishing wood & cleaning up oil & grease after you dirty Buggers!!!! Yep, Happy days. Art
After thought, Did not the officers stw'd,Name of Jim, (Thin weedy bloke, Bit Efeminate,) Did he not paint a picture for you, Family members if memory serves again, He did for someone Uptop/down aft! Ter'ra

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Art,

I always thought it was the 2/Stwd. who looked after me, but I could well be wrong. I do remember the C/Stwd. complaining to me that the bedding from one of the spare J/Es' cabins had been removed and from the noise the 4/E's wife use to make in their cabin next to mine, when he came off watch, I had a good idea who was guilty.

I remember the 2/E's wife, I think her name was Sally and she came from Glasgow. There lies a tale because the 2/E sh*t himself when I walked on board, as I had thrown him off the same ship two years earlier in drydock, when he was 3/E and I was 2/E. As it happens he turned out to be alright.

I can't remember the engineers' steward, he certainly didn't do a painting for me

Thinking back on it I don't think that it was too bad a trip, I was releived after four months and transferred to the British Sailor, and thereby hangs another tale.

Gerry Taylor

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hussar/Dragoon

This must have been an unsuccessful class of ships if she went to scrap at only 14 years old, does anyone know the story?
I sailed on the Dragoon around 1980, she was a one-off straggler, from the name i guess she was from this class? I have a vague recollection that half were built with centre accomodation and the other half all-aft. Dragoon was all-aft.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nick,
All of this class of 8 vessels, with the exception of the Dragoon, were sold for demolition within 15 years of completion. Half of them had centrecastles & the other half were "all aft." The accommodation on the ones with centrecastles was very spacious & comfortable. The Dragoon lasted until 1982, a life of 19 years but only because she had been converted by BP for lightering duties.
The speed of progress in tanker building overtook this class of 50 - 55,000 dwt, built between 1959 & 1963 & they proved uneconomic when tankers of 3 - 4 times that size were being produced with cheaper running costs.
Kind regards,
John F.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts