Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Rudolf V/v. sailed as a J/E in the period you are looking for. Great crowd of engineers. maybe 64/65. We had a 4 engineer Rudolf Henerson who insisted that an accommodation steam drain return was in the clossed position: Every time on watch this vavle had to be checked (Regardless of reason) and it became know to us enginneers at that time as the Rudolph V/V and as such entered into the dirty log. Rudolph I had previosly sailed with on the Queen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
British hussar

I am writing a short profile on British Hussar and would be interested in any anecdotes of members who may have sailed on her; also when the vessel was sold by BP, and when she was sold for demolition.(Whaaa)

I only found this website today, so this is my first foray at posting something. I hope someone out there can help.

Many thanks for reading this.
Hi David, would prefer to know if you are still around after all this time. I done my first trip to sea on the hussar on her maiden voyage, mike

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi,
The British Hussar was my first ship as N/A . Joined her at Angle bay Sept 1967. Spent the next 5.5 months doing the Cape run to the Gulf.............fairly un-eventful really but a happy ship as I remember. Skipper was Captain Temple who had his wife with him. The only event comes to mind was a very sad one. We were about midway between the Canaries and Cape Town when the 4th Engineer who I had joined with took ill and died. He collapsed in the engine room and passed away about 2 hours later. The best diagnosis was a Brain tumour ! The captains wife was a nurse so we had some medical help.About 8 hours After he died and with agreement with the relevant authorities and his wife we buried him at sea. He was sewn into a canvas bag and weighed down with a shackle. The Captain did the service. We stopped and after he went over the side the ship circled the spot blowing the horn. A number of officers threw there caps in the sea as you can imagine a very emotional moment for all. His wife visited us when we came back to the I.O.G.

John Hunter
The unfortunate 4E was Malcolm Coates a 1961 BP Engineering Apprentice. In late 2008 I came across someone who was one of the other watchkeeping engineers.
Quote,
He was 12 to 4 watch at 0200 approx when he collapsed on bottom plates by stbd l/o pump into a coma. His junior called me. We got Malcom to the "hospital midships" where the captain's wife (apparatly a nurse) declared he had died at about 06.00. We buried him at sea the same afternoon!
Unquote,

Wow! a couple of days off Capetown.

The 2 senior watchkeeping engineers had a pretty rough time from there on working 6 on /6 off to the Gulf and back to Wilemshaven. 2E did not work a watch and neither CE. Malcolm's replacement was a Motor CE doing steam time... I would have thought BP should/would have done better than that. This was after the Crown incident ......things were different back then!

I think a 'happy ship' is an an unusual statement, certainly not for the black gang!

Graham

I find it unfortunate that I know no more about Malcolm Coates from College years through to this sad incident.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Amazing - I'm tempted to put a bid in but where would I put it.................? At our time of life we are downsizing rather than collecting even more stuff !

·
Registered
13 Posts
malcom coates burial at sea

Hi,
The British Hussar was my first ship as N/A . Joined her at Angle bay Sept 1967. Spent the next 5.5 months doing the Cape run to the Gulf.............fairly un-eventful really but a happy ship as I remember. Skipper was Captain Temple who had his wife with him. The only event comes to mind was a very sad one. We were about midway between the Canaries and Cape Town when the 4th Engineer who I had joined with took ill and died. He collapsed in the engine room and passed away about 2 hours later. The best diagnosis was a Brain tumour ! The captains wife was a nurse so we had some medical help.About 8 hours After he died and with agreement with the relevant authorities and his wife we buried him at sea. He was sewn into a canvas bag and weighed down with a shackle. The Captain did the service. We stopped and after he went over the side the ship circled the spot blowing the horn. A number of officers threw there caps in the sea as you can imagine a very emotional moment for all. His wife visited us when we came back to the I.O.G.

John Hunter
I was one of the two engineers that worked 6 on 6off after the death of Malcom who I knew from South Shields college in 1963. I left B.P. after this trip as I was not happy with the way things were going. I am most interested in any information from other engineers who were on the Hussar at this time. Martin Lewis (known as Lew)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am writing a short profile on British Hussar and would be interested in any anecdotes of members who may have sailed on her; also when the vessel was sold by BP, and when she was sold for demolition.

I only found this website today, so this is my first foray at posting something. I hope someone out there can help.

I was sailing as 4th engineer on the Hussar in 1967 during which time the other 4th engineer Malcom Coates died whilst on watch.I am interested to know the other engineers names at the time, I seem to remember Whiehouse was the 2nd engineer. Martin Lewis (known as Lew)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The unfortunate 4E was Malcolm Coates a 1961 BP Engineering Apprentice. In late 2008 I came across someone who was one of the other watchkeeping engineers.
Quote,
He was 12 to 4 watch at 0200 approx when he collapsed on bottom plates by stbd l/o pump into a coma. His junior called me. We got Malcom to the "hospital midships" where the captain's wife (apparatly a nurse) declared he had died at about 06.00. We buried him at sea the same afternoon!
Unquote,

Wow! a couple of days off Capetown.

The 2 senior watchkeeping engineers had a pretty rough time from there on working 6 on /6 off to the Gulf and back to Wilemshaven. 2E did not work a watch and neither CE. Malcolm's replacement was a Motor CE doing steam time... I would have thought BP should/would have done better than that. This was after the Crown incident ......things were different back then!

I think a 'happy ship' is an an unusual statement, certainly not for the black gang!

Graham

I find it unfortunate that I know no more about Malcolm Coates from College years through to this sad incident.
I was one of the two engineers who did 6 on 6 off for the rest of that trip. Tough going. Martin Lewis (Lew)

·
Registered
13 Posts
British Hussar

I was an engineer on the Hussar when the other 4th engineer, Malcom Coates died and worked 6on 6 off back to Whilemshaven in 1967. I would like to see any information there is available. Martin Lewis (Lew)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I was one of the two engineers who did 6 on 6 off for the rest of that trip. Tough going. Martin Lewis (Lew)
Martin,

Long time since we were in touch (2008), How is Ralph Jenkins, still around? You were my contact that gave me the above info in 2008 about Malcolm.

I'll send you a shipsnostalgia email.

Graham

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am writing a short profile on British Hussar and would be interested in any anecdotes of members who may have sailed on her; also when the vessel was sold by BP, and when she was sold for demolition.

Hi David. Please find some photos of my late fathers, My dad was in charge of the repairs to shipping coming into the “Khedivial Mail Line” dry dock in Port Tewfik. Hope this is same Ship. Glad to see both ships were saved. The dry dock received lots of damaged shipping caused by collision in the gulf or hitting mines left over from the war. My father was an ex chief engineer in the merchant navy. Best regards Doug Bourne

E832EAE1-0389-4095-B0C9-EA83C47E2B66.jpeg
D3537304-484E-469C-8979-7263ED2BED39.jpeg
7FB6CBA1-E780-4477-BCC1-FC86D65ED680.jpeg
4D406F69-45F7-4020-A882-241A1D2531CC.jpeg
118AB38C-0857-46BE-8098-746CD417377A.jpeg
679759F7-6CCE-480F-B50E-1CA2074BFA6D.jpeg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Br Hussar first ship joined IoG November 10th 1966 as junior R/O through canal to Bandar Mahshahr then Kharg back through canal to Banias to top up and discharge in Finland. Only did 2months and 23 days as a junior R/O then promoted onboard to R/O finally left the ship in Birkenhead drydock. Stayed with BP as direct employ and contract until finally leaving the Loch Rannoch on the 11th November 2006, 40 years plus 1 day.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts