Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... I am trying to find infomation on ships my father was on during WW2.

They were: San Roberto, S.S Daleby, Gaisdale, Penhale, Empire Faun, Wave Emperor, Samvannah, W.W. Longwood I think was one. I know some were sunk, as he survived many sinkings. He recently passed away, but the family would like to find out info on them if we can.
Thanks Helen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Helen
Some info on the Daleby
Daleby (2) 1929 4,640 Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle Ex Kitty Taylor, 1934 purchased from Eros Steamships and renamed Daleby, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-89 in North Atlantic. Position given is very rough as 57 degrees North 36 degrees West Approx which puts it in the mid Atlantic. She belonged to a company called Ropners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... this is great, will tell the family about it. I do have a photo of the glaisdale and the Samvannah which I found in a Merchant navy web site.
Helen

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Clare, Just found your post a little info on the "San Roberto"
Official No 146632 San Roberto. ss 8,325 dwt. Built by Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co Ltd, Walker-on Tyne. Launched, July 25th 1922, by Lady Waley Cohen. Delivered, September 19th 1922.
During the last War under command of Captain C. Allison, she was employed trading on the east coast of Great Britain and was twice bombed and damaged by German aircraft, May 10th and July 20th 1941. On January 1st 1945, her Gunners shot down a German aircraft in the River Scheldt. For further details of the San Roberto’s war service see Chapter V. from the publication “Eagle Fleet “
On November 15th 1949, she was sold to British Iron and Steel Corp (Salvage) Ltd for breaking up.
My Interest is tofind a little more out about the loss of Herbert Clark Born 11th Sept 1900 a death certificate has been obtained

Died 5th July 1941 4 Hr 10 Mins PM, aged 41, place of death is recorded as on board the “ss San Roberto” The docks, Grangemouth, cause of death Angina Pectoris , informed by Captain Cyril Allison ( intimate friend present at the death ) registered at Grangemouth 7th July 1941 He was buried 9th July 1941 , and buried in Harton cemetery in South Shields, There is a flower vase with the inscription from the personnel of the “San Roberto” age given on memorial as 40, This ties up with my Mothers memory of the event that he had rejoined the ship (although she always said it was in Rosyth ) and died when re-boarding , it was said as a result of the 10th of May attack although he was not physically hurt it was not know if this happened when he rejoined at Immingham or elsewhere or whilst at sea and the Captain put in to Grangemouth, I would have thought that a mention would be in the captains log

There is quite a bit on the web site http://www.eagleoiltankers.co.uk/sanroberto.htm

Which may be of Interest

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hi Helen,
For your info:
Empire Faun:wartime emergency built coastal tanker of Empire Cadet class. Built 1943 by Goole Shipbuilding. 196ft loa x 31ft. 890tons dwt. Steam triple expansion, 9.5knots.
1951-58 - on loan to Greek Navy as Posseidon.
!961-renamed Sirius.
!962 - purchased by Greek Navy. Was still around in 1972 but don't know when scrapped.
Wave Emperor. Standard fast tanker built in 1944 by Furness Shipbuilding, Haverton Hill. 8196 grt 494x64 x35.5ft. 15 knots, steam turbine. Operated by RFA and took part in Pacific War. Scrapped 1966
Samvannah- Liberty ship built by Southeastern Shipbuilding Corporation in 1943. Laid down as Louis A. Godey and completed as Samvannah for Lease-lend to UK Ministry Of War Transport (MOWT). Don't know who operated Samvannah for MOWT. All Lease -lend Liberty Ships for MOWT had names beginning Sam. 1948 returned to US Government and scrapped in 1961.
Sorry I can't help you with others, but the old salts out there surely can.
Best regards
Alex

·
Registered
436 Posts
Name: Daleby
Type: Steam merchant
Tonnage: 4.640 tons
Completed: 1929 - W.G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co Ltd, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Owner: Sir R. Ropner & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool
Homeport: West Hartlepool
Date of attack: 4 Nov, 1942 Nationality: British

Fate: Sunk by U-89 (Dietrich Lohmann)

Position: 57.24N, 35.54W - Grid AL 1926
- See location on a map -

Complement: 47 (0 dead and 47 survivors).
Convoy: SC-107
Route: Halifax (27 Oct) - London
Cargo: 8500 tons of grain, tanks and motor parts
History: Built as Kitty Taylor, 1934 renamed Daleby
Notes on loss: At 22.35 hours on 4 Nov, 1942, the Daleby (Master John Edward Elsdon) in convoy SC-107 was torpedoed and sunk by U-89 southeast of Cape Farewell. The master, 39 crew members and seven gunners were picked up by the Icelandic steam merchant Brúarfoss and landed at Reykjavik. The men were both in lifeboats and onboard the sinking ship, the rescue thus was difficult and ten crew members and one passenger were commended for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
as any one information about merchant navy ships and creww 19471950?? ss talapo the arogoanni sscavena and the new york city?? my dad bill smith served on them any one familiar

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm trying to find info on ss Dalegarth Force, I believe she was damaged by enemy action In the English channel, I would like to know the extent of the damage and the repairs that followed Tell

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dalegarth Force, 825grt had been sailing from the Tyne with a cargo of coal for Poole when she came under fire from German shore batteries and was hit by a shell 1 mile South of Dover and set on fire. The ship was taken into Dover, sailing under tow on the 5th August 1944, arriving for repairs on the Tyne three days later. 3 dead.

FITZGIBBONS, Chief Officer, CHARLES, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 37. Son of Sarah Ann Fitzgibbons, Birkenhead. Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.

Tower Hill Memorial Panel 34

ELLIS, Mate, WILLIAM, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 22nd March 1942. Age 63. Son of Robert and Jane Ellis; husband of Elizabeth Ellis, of Port Dinorwic, Caernarvonshire.

FRANCIS, Boatswain, WILLIAM LEONARD MURLEY, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 20. Son of Capt. W. J. Francis and Mrs. J. E. Francis, of Moelfre, Anglesey.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Regarding SS Penhale,

Perman, F.C. London (Chellew Navigation Co. Ltd) Built 1924. grt 4100.

Sorry dont know the fate of this vessel.
She was involved in some of the convoys listed below:

SC19, SC65, OS119/KMS93, OS93/KMS67, OS103/KMS77, HX303, ONS5.

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
723 Posts
ray1buck1 said:
Dalegarth Force, 825grt had been sailing from the Tyne with a cargo of coal for Poole when she came under fire from German shore batteries and was hit by a shell 1 mile South of Dover and set on fire. The ship was taken into Dover, sailing under tow on the 5th August 1944, arriving for repairs on the Tyne three days later. 3 dead.

FITZGIBBONS, Chief Officer, CHARLES, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 37. Son of Sarah Ann Fitzgibbons, Birkenhead. Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.

Tower Hill Memorial Panel 34

ELLIS, Mate, WILLIAM, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 22nd March 1942. Age 63. Son of Robert and Jane Ellis; husband of Elizabeth Ellis, of Port Dinorwic, Caernarvonshire.

FRANCIS, Boatswain, WILLIAM LEONARD MURLEY, S.S. Dalegarth Force (Whitehaven). Merchant Navy. 28th June 1944. Age 20. Son of Capt. W. J. Francis and Mrs. J. E. Francis, of Moelfre, Anglesey.
Im very grateful for that info, I was in her in later years and her superstructure was much different to the earlier photos I've seen of her thanks a lot Tell

·
Registered
56 Posts
the clare said:
Thanks guys... this is great, will tell the family about it. I do have a photo of the glaisdale and the Samvannah which I found in a Merchant navy web site.
Helen
Hi Helen,

I sailed on the Glaisdale but do not have a pic of her. Can you please tell me where you found her pic. Thank you.

Steve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cheers,

Trying to find information re S.T.Thorland....a tanker owned by SAFMARINE and reistered in Panama. Some time after mid 1968 a tank explosion for'd caused casualties and tremendous damage. Having sailed in the vessel I am interested in finding out her ultimate destination and any other facts.

Any help appreciated,

Regards standby (R345910)

·
Registered
73 Posts
ST Thorland

I know more than most about this sad ship, but before replying where can I view any previous replies?

Trying to find information re S.T.Thorland....a tanker owned by SAFMARINE and reistered in Panama. Some time after mid 1968 a tank explosion for'd caused casualties and tremendous damage. Having sailed in the vessel I am interested in finding out her ultimate destination and any other facts.

Any help appreciated,

Regards standby (R345910)[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts