Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is the start of the page for the cargo ship from which was lost apprentice in tragic cir***stances.

An addition by a member:Re the loss of Robert Crammon in NZ - I was an apprentice with him on that voyage and have responded privately to his brother with a description of events - through the haze of 50 years, along with some pictures - equally hazy! What a great job of tracking down the gravesite picture and particularly the one of the funeral posted in the Gallery. I believe it is the first time I have seen it & it brought the whole event back to me.This was an eventful trip with our female 2nd. Eng. and the 2nd. Mate's 9 hours in the water - I have provided my take on these events in the appropriate threads. I may have the details wrong but the voyage started in Bremen through the Magellan Str. to NZ - the Canal dues were more than Messrs. Raeburn and Verel could afford, even with the cheap labour of 6 apprentices! Then Fiji - Vancouver - East Coast US - Baton Rouge - Japan- Nauru -Europe. Probably a few more legs also. For the apprentices, one of the highlights was the money we made humping mail bags that we took from Auckland to New Plymouth. Road and rail links were washed out I believe and the Post Office regs required us to be paid. Made more than a months apprentice wages!She was a good ship with a great crowd. I wrapped up my apprenticeship on her with a spell as 3rd Mate at the end. Would love to hear from any other Monarch Line apprentices of this era, but suspect there won't be a whole lot of us left.

She was a Raeburn & Verel ship from Glasgow, they named all their ships 'xxx Monarch'

1 - 1 of 1 Posts