Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great picture of her on her trials off the Isle of Arran.
She was built by John Brown on the Clyde & launched by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother in 1959. At the time, she was the largest tanker in the world, I believe.
I served on her in 1962 & she was my last ship as an (senior) apprentice.
I think she suffered a fire at sea sometime late in her life & the engineers' accommodation aft was gutted.
On one occasion coming through the Canal, she stopped at Port Said for a hull paint job. When it came to re-painting her name, the letter 'N' was replaced with an 'R'.....
Marine Superintendant at discharge port not best pleased.......
Finally scrapped in 1975 at Kaohsiung.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi John-F I heard many years ago that something similar happened to the BR Workman,it was repainted Workhouse do not know if it was true,and never met anyone who could verify it

·
Registered
573 Posts
Br Workman

Hi Salty, I was on the Workman in 66 and that same story was going around then, as far as i know its true. About 10 years ago I was chatting to a guy in a pub in west London, an ex seafarer; he was talking about said ship, "I'll tell you a story about the workman" says he to which I replyed "I know what your going to say". So there you are it's been going around for a few years.
Trevor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Salty,

Like Trevor, I had also heard the story about the Workman but I don't know how true it is. There are others - Serenity to Senility springs to mind - but I think some of them were just nicknames rather than repaint jobs.
Kind regards,
John F.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, I think we've all heard the "Workman to Workhouse" tale; it was floating around when I was at sea. I was on the Spey when the "e" had faded off and we were trading around Europe as the British Spy . . . (Gleam)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi John-F I heard many years ago that something similar happened to the BR Workman,it was repainted Workhouse do not know if it was true,and never met anyone who could verify it
In Oct 61 I joined the Clyde Explorer on the the Tyne as AB. (really British Explorer but renamed by BP as a Tax dodge )With a mixed crowd of Geordies and Jocks. We were heading for a few months work on the Aussie Coast. At Port Said waiting for the Northbound Convoy to clear, we heard that The Workman was coming North. She was full of fellow Geordies and we all knew each other. As she passed us there was lots of screaming and shouting between ships,Great hilarity, and they were pointing to the backend. Then we started see the name as she passed !first the letter e the s and so on, esuohkrow hsitirb. Someone had been over the stern through the night coming through the canal.
So was very true.
We did 11 months on Explorer, 5 months on the Oz coast 2 months on the Indian coast. then between Abidan,Port Sudan,Mombasa and Aden for the rest. No A/C or Cold Water. ****ty little fan in each cabin. was Great fun. I got a DR for conduct and a VG for ability. Great days, I loved every minute.
To this day I still REFUTE my DR as the Capt Ch/Mate and Ch/eng were a trio of *****s. 18 years later after doing all my tickets I took my first command as Captain, but certainly did have them as my role models.
So there you go Saltie LOL

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
1973 Bremerhaven, she was the first "Out port", job I did for Cockburns at Lloyd Werft, full survey of maneuvering and Emergency valves. It seems that the Chief had bet the super DM20 that I wouldn't get the valves to operate in, "One-finger Mode", after I'd warmed through and set up the steam system did the usual tests and the Chief lost his 20mark note! The Super and I drank it at dinner, in the Hotel, that night. Met the Chief many years later in Rotterdam, he'd become a DTI surveyor and examiner, but he hadn't forgotten me!

·
Registered
779 Posts
BRITISH QUEEN,built 1959,32431 g.t.16 knots,in an impressive shot of the era.
(old pic collect.)
First post on here!

This picture was on the wall of the dining room of the hostel at South Shields - I'm sorry I can't remember its name as it was so long ago (1970/71).

B & W photo, properly framed and mounted.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
I have a drydockcrew list when she left drydock March 1961, J/E's Dick Payne, David Jones and JR Henton were three of my buddies. Are you interested?

Graham
Graham,
Was Dick Payne from Barrow (***bria) or thereabouts?
I'm sure I sailed with an E/Cdt a few years back by the name of James Payne and I think he mentioned his father had been with the company.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Graham,
Was Dick Payne from Barrow (***bria) or thereabouts?
I'm sure I sailed with an E/Cdt a few years back by the name of James Payne and I think he mentioned his father had been with the company.
Jim,
Dick (RD) Payne came from Surbiton, 1955 E/A and died 2004.
I have note of MD Payne a 1960/61 E/A and an SD Payne 1972 E/C. There was also Brian H Payne ex BP C/E 1981/82, however I do not think he was an ex E/A
I think there is yet another Payne I have noted in some Ships Movements, but cannot find him at present.

Graham

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the above info, would they have sailed with her when I was aboard
Uskside

That I do not know, it is most likely they joined at drydock so were starting out on her, in those times we stayed aboard for 6+ months so it is highly likely you were on at the same time. I do not have any further information on either of the 3 on that ship. I know Henton died in mid 1980's, a C/E.................a very heavy smoker I am told.

Graham

1 - 20 of 59 Posts