Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
I stood by both the "Avon" the 1st of the series and the "Tweed" the 3rd od the five.

I remember loading the fresh water in Southhampton through six fire hoses - all that the Port Authority would allow us. It was quite strange loading with the tank lids all open. No need for Inert gas!

I also recall while discharging in Gibralter that it pored with rain the whole time we were there.

RAF
We did exactly the same on the Nordic Breeze (Wallem Shipmanagement UK), 6 fire-hoses through the tanktops to load 32, 000t of freshwater on the QE2 berth!

In Gib, the only berth that could take us was the naval one used by the old Ark Royal, so they laid hoses up the jetty for us to discharge along .. pump for 4 hours, then stop for about 10!!
Great maiden voyage!!!

· Registered
814 Posts
Didn't Gil Barber fly the Welsh flag, claiming to be the commander in chief of the Welsh Navy?
Gil Barber used to insist on the Welsh flag being flown on the Unity when I was cadet with him, it was my job to look after it and ensure it was hoisted .. much to the annoyance of the mate, Frank Preece!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.