Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that after a particularly harrowing day in the Commons last week Teresa May returned to the relative calm of No.10 where she and her husband prepared a baked beans on toast supper. It is said she opened the can while he made the toast. The country is very obviously in save hands. On par with Drake finishing his game of bowls on Plymouth Hoe.

The article did not mention what libation they enjoyed while eating their beans, but i doubt if it was tea

Nick

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
With Brexit at Our doorstep , I feel I ought to make a long diatrabe about this gem, but I just can·t!.....seems to sum it ALL up!!... Well spotted Nick!

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
So the Brits were living it up while still having both feet in the EU? You would not have noticed it from reading this forum...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Harold Wilson left a bottle or two of HP Sauce in No 10 kitchen to use with "beanza beanza beanza beanz on toast". (sing to Finiculi Finicula)
Isn't HP Sauce made in the Netherlands now? Then it will not be available after Brexit any more. It went downhill when they put it into plastic upside down bottles. "Oi likes beanz oi do, for when oi eats beanz oi farts, and when oi farts oi knows ois 'ealthy" (speak like a yokel) Beans with HP sauce, one of lifes finer things.

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Please note that The Pig & Whistle is: General Chit-Chat. Lightweight Off-topic Discussion, nothing political or heavy.

If this thread becomes political or heavy it will be moved to Stormy Weather in line with site rules. That would be a pity because some members are not members of Stormy Weather so will miss out on the debate.

Roy made a great post regarding a former advert. Lets keep it that way. The only stormy weather Mrs May would have had was windy after those beans (Jester)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Isn't the crucial question "What wine goes with beans on toast?"

I once encountered baked beans in spaghetti bolognese. Any comments?

"...pick up a tin of beans and say, "You'll have bloody beans and like 'em.""

I find it takes Worcester sauce to make baked beans begin to become palatable. We should discuss all this with the Mays. It could solve everything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If my mother was dishing up beans on toast, you ate them or didn't eat ! There were no fussy eaters in our family( or you would have starved)!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
HP sauce has been reformulated at some time, at least part of which change is to reduce the salt content. I imagine that must have saved countless lives, everyone knows that brown sauce should not be more than 60% of a general diet so the saline reduction is extremely welcome. It now tastes awful, the last bottle lasted for years and then got thrown away.

Choice of meals? I don't think so. When you have three brothers, what you didn't eat someone else did, and pretty sharpish. We were all brilliant at assessing the largest bun, slice, spoonful.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
There is always A-1 Sauce or Heinze 57 if HP goes away, Beans on toast is my favorite meal followed by Melted cheese on toast,

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Beans, beans they are good for the heart, the more you eat the more you fart, the more you fart the better you feel, so we'll have beans for every meal.

Anon.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
There was an old ditty,

Beans, beans, they are good for the heart
The more you eat the more you fart
The more You fart the better you will be
So eat lots of beans and be so healthy

T M

1 - 20 of 102 Posts