Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched in 1943 the Mahanada was the first Brocklebank ship to carry an Electrician, during the next twenty years Brocks built 17 ships and all carried at least One Electrician, many of them Two.
Question Where the hell are you all, lets have some input from you gentlemen
and keep this show on the road, the Deck, Engine Room and Sparkies are doing all the work and performing very well indeed Speak up all you Batty Sahibs and lets hear your patter. I have reason to believe that it was the Electrical Dept that brought " COUTH " to the Company ???
Ken Carr.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ken,

It seems you may have missed the "UN" off your chosen description of Brocklebank electricians. (Is this enough to sting into action our highly illuminated and shockingly under-represented electrical brothers into making contact?)

David Byrne

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David,
I have reason to believe that the "UN" was in existance prior to the arrival of the the Electrical personnel, with skill, patience,and a very high grade of Techhnical Ability we removed the "UN" and replaced it with "COUTH"
Hopefully,that answers your question?. Now come on you Electrical Officers, I need your help and back-up, or these guys will burn me.
Regards Ken Carr

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Come on Mr Macleod, here's your chance. For the record when Don gets round to replying he is very much on the "Couth" side of the Electric fence (sorry).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ken,

Some of us are still alive and well in other parts fo the world. I totally agree that we bought couth to the seafaring world. I was always a perfect gentleman when inebriated and always knew when I'd had enough, I passed out.
My record with Brocks was 2 trips deep sea on the Matra 1 trip on the Luminous and my last trip, on the Manipur (Ex Ivernia).
For the most part they were good trips, good crews, apart from Chief Engineers, Second engineers and Chief Officers who all thought they were omnipotent or impotent whatever the word is. Had some good times, a lot of hard work and wouldn't have missed it for anything, that why I'm on this site.
I always felt that we were there as an unneccessary evil, but we were always there to keep the cargo moving and I at least never had too many complaints from those above. Other than my drinking of course but what the heck!

Cheers,

Nick Jones.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Launched in 1943 the Mahanada was the first Brocklebank ship to carry an Electrician, during the next twenty years Brocks built 17 ships and all carried at least One Electrician, many of them Two.
and keep this show on the road, the Deck, Engine Room and Sparkies are doing all the work and performing very well indeed Speak up all you Batty Sahibs and lets hear your patter. I have reason to believe that it was the Electrical Dept that brought " COUTH " to the Company ???
Ken Carr.
I was going to respond Ken(time permitting but Dr. Selman has prompted me to expidite a message). Never met you though I was aware of you in crew lists or whatever.
I have often wondered how many of the Elect.Dept. are still around as there have been no messages on SN and that made things rather difficult.Now it appears there are some of us still around.
A correction re number of ships built after MAHANADA,it was 18 so which one did you miss?!
"The Black four" MAHSEER,MATRA.MANAAR,MAIPURA,MASKELIYA,MATURATA,MAKRANA,MAWANA,MANGLA,MATHURA,MARKOR,MAHOUT,MAIHAR AND MAHSUD.
Of that lot the only ones I never sailed on(coasting or deepsea) were MAIDAN,MAGDAPUR,MAKRANA and MARKOR.That was between 62 and 75, of course throw in a couple of tankers(old ones mind you!).
As regards the "couth" well I will admit there were instances when I could admit to having th "un" added on, but then we all had bad moments!
Now that we've got the "leckies"on line we should try and keep posting. Many stories to tell. Regards Donald

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ken Carr.
I stand corrected Ken,have just read your message again and you are correct with17. You did state twenty years from 1943 and I forgot MASIRAH,the grey cells tend to let you down sometimes.Of course MAIHAR and MAHSUD were later,apologies.Donald .

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
I shall be posting a picture in the Gallery soon of the offficers and a couple of crew members of the Maihar taken the same day after the gear box explosion which occured in Tokyo bay . Ian Seery ( Elec ) is prominant in the picture for those of you who remember him . I shall also be posting a detailed account of the disaster for those of you who are interested .

Derek

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Salaams, After the 1993 reunion I collated and put to CD all the addresses of ex Brocklebank personnel - I had been given these by Noel Grayson who had organised that reunion. The idea being that they would be recorded in case of any future reunions. One of the lists is titled General List 3 and Electricians, I had a look at it again but sadly there is no positive ident as to who was what. However I was intrigued to see that one gentleman was merely listed as Mr Gay! Thought someone may know who he was. Regards, Roger Bentley

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks gentlemen for your interesting and supportive replies your worthy of a high degree of " COUTH ". Well Nick & Donald it looks like we three are all thats left of Brocks electrical people, I just can't believe it, it's only 50 years, lets leave it till next weekend, hopefully a few more Leckies may show up. Now wake up you electricians log in and join the most technical group of Brocklebanks Regards Ken Carr

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ken and Co, Electricians I recall are Stan Robinson who was older than most as I remember and he was on the Masirah in 1957. Others were J Lyon (known as Black La), S Brownell, Dennis Williams (deceased) and Jimmy Dalbv (he was from Liverpool and had actually been in tanks at close of WW2) who was on the Maidan with me in 1954. I wonder if it was not perceived as a long term sea going career and after National Service requirements people just moved on. This is not to suggest avoidance of NS was a factor, lots of R/Os also used service in the MN to avoid a spell in Khaki and at the same time travel the world and generally have a good time. As far as I recall if you stayed at sea until you were 26 you were exempt. I left at the age of 28 and then spent most of my other career working with the military in one form or another! Salaams Roger

·
Registered
689 Posts
I remember Hector Million and Tommy McGuigan, first and second leckies respectively on the Mahronda. Les Dow was on the Mahseer when I did my first trip. No other names emerging from the (old & tired) grey cells at the moment

John/gwzm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Braighe

Gentlemen. Who remembers Ian King-Gabb on Matra 1954/55. 1st Electrician.
I was 2 R/O with John Caddy 1st R/O. Master was Paddy? Penston and Ted Hannah Ch Steward. Grey cells working overtime - reluctantly!!. Willie.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Electricians

I did my last trip with Brocklebanks on the Mahanada 1957/58,I must say that Ken was without a doubt a gentleman at all times and it was I who led him astray.There are pictures in the Gallery to prove it.We worked well together I was senior deck Apprentice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Many thanks gentlemen for your interesting and supportive replies your worthy of a high degree of " COUTH ". Well Nick & Donald it looks like we three are all thats left of Brocks electrical people, I just can't believe it, it's only 50 years, lets leave it till next weekend, hopefully a few more Leckies may show up. Now wake up you electricians log in and join the most technical group of Brocklebanks Regards Ken Carr
Ken, I feel here are a few more "Batys" out there who could come forward, but it's their choice! 50 years you say,crikey I only joined MATRA early 63 so you are a real "old timer"!

When I was finally promoted to senior leckie it was the MAHANADA I was assigned to but it never came about and was sent to the MAIPURA instead,a great ship but missed the "elect winches".

As you say we were the "really" technical dept. in the company!(now this is going to cause a real disruption on the site!). But we were very prominent in getting ships from A to B. Enough for now. Donald

·
Registered
398 Posts
Electricians I recall on Manipur were Les Dow, Harry Allison and Alan Barr
James, were you on the MANIPUR circa 61/62? I was working on her (Sunderland Forge) Johnny McCallum was chief also were Hugh Neil, Ken Sanderson and Les Dow was Sen, Elect.I was asked if I wished to complete the last year of my apprenticeship with the company and going deep sea on her.I declined,little knowing then that I was going to take her on her last voyage six or seven years later. Donald.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Quote: As you say we were the "really" technical dept. in the company!(now this is going to cause a real disruption on the site!). But we were very prominent in getting ships from A to B. Enough for now. Donald. Unquote

Now then Mr Macleod there is no need for inflamatory remarks that everyone knows are clearly not true. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote: As you say we were the "really" technical dept. in the company!(now this is going to cause a real disruption on the site!). But we were very prominent in getting ships from A to B. Enough for now. Donald. Unquote

Now then Mr Macleod there is no need for inflamatory remarks that everyone knows are clearly not true. :)
Earned the wooden spoon on a couple of occassions Tony, on my last trip on the MATRA I'm sure Ernie Ferrie was "chippy" and he presented me with a six foot long spoon which he'd made out of a bit of hatchboard.Still can't figure out why I was a s**t stirrer! Mind you I suppose some leckies were mad,well who was willing to go back to LUCIGEN for a second term.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gentlemen. Who remembers Ian King-Gabb on Matra 1954/55. 1st Electrician.
I was 2 R/O with John Caddy 1st R/O. Master was Paddy? Penston and Ted Hannah Ch Steward. Grey cells working overtime - reluctantly!!. Willie.
Relieved King-Gabb some years later when he was on the MATHURA(his ship as Bill Croft and Jack McGuire had moved onto MARKOR and MAHOUT).His last words to me after the handover for coasting were "make sure your second man inverts the tins of paint and Shellac every morning "strange the things that stay in your memory,must admit he kept her good.Seem to think Willie that he was from Greenock.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts