Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brotherly Love.

An unknown, middle-aged man walks into the village pub and orders three pints of Guinness. He pays for them, takes them to a table where, alone, he drinks all three pints. He then takes his leave, thanking the barman on the way out. The following day, exactly the same happens.

On the third day, the barman feels comfortable enough to enquire as to the strange ritual. The customer explains, “I have recently moved into the village. I live alone. I have two brothers, one of whom emigrated to Australia and the other to Canada. We always enjoyed a drink together – and this is the most practicable way to maintain that most pleasant of habits.”

The habit continued daily for several weeks until, one day, the customer ordered only two pints, but otherwise maintained the ritual. It was a small village. On the third day of the two-pint ritual, the barman ventured, “ Please accept my condolences. I have noticed the change and a group of us in the village are so touched by your loyalty to your brothers that we have opened a book of condolence to mark you loss. We are very sorry.”

The customer replied, “Thank you, but I’m pleased to say that both of my brothers are in the best of health. All that has happened is that I have given up drink for Lent.”

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Intelligent man, as all Guinness drinkers are.

Thanks for the reminder that Lent is approaching, I haven't decided what to give up, anyone any ideas? And what are youse giving up?
Answers and ideas on a sheet of foolscap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts