Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the connection between Broughton Hall in Liverpool and the Titanic. Be careful the answer is a bit tricky

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dunno if this is what you are looking for but it seems that the White Star Line who owned Titanic was set up over a game of billiards at Broughton Hall.

What a strange conversation that must have been. "Bugger, missed that cannon - think I'll give up trying to make my fortune out of playing billiards and start a shipping line instead!".

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite Benjidog but your gettin' there. You're on the right lines with White Star but think more Harland and Wolff.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R651400 said:
I still say Benjidog has terrier blood somewhere.You have to hand it to him for his tenacity on this forum.
I confess m'lud to much googling to get the answer but it does enlighten one on the big deals made over a simple game of billiards all those years ago.
Broughton Hall was the home of German financier Schaube whose nephew was Wolff of H&W...
White Star Line was created over a game of billiards between Ismay and Imrie at BH. Company to be financed by Schaube, ships to be built by of H&W.
Malcolm
Go on, Go on,you're on the right lines but forget the billiards, that clue is all balls LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK Oul hand - how about this then?

Harland and Wolff was set up in 1861 by Edward Harland and Gustav Wilhelm Wolff who was a German. Wolff's mother's name was Schwabe. His mother and uncle Gustav Schwabe, who owned Broughton Hall, were the financial backers of the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast which was expanding under the partnership. It is unlikely that H&W would have been able to expand without this help.

There is a further connection - in 1868 H&W were up against the wall following a big losss on an Admiralty contract. They had built a ship (No 44) called the Broughton (after Broughton Hall) on spec and didn't have a buyer for it.

Thomas Henry Ismay had purchased the bankrupt White Star line in 1857 and was looking for more ships. Uncle Gustav came up trumps by putting Ismay in touch with H&W. With his financial assistance Ismay purchased the Broughton.

White Star used H&W to build many ships including the Titanic.

Anywhere near what you have in mind?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you're not a terrier Benjidog?? Almost 100% correct. Ismay bought the Broughton at Schwabe's suggestion to prevent the fledgling H&W from going belly up. He really didn't want it but Schwabe offered him a cargo contract on condition he purchased the vessel. Ismay, as you state, founded the White Star Line managers of the Titanic as I'm sure you know the actual owners were the IMM group owned by American banker J P Morgan who bought White Star from Thomas Ismay some years later.
Obviously you are the kind gentleman who purchased the other copy of my book. (Applause)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Oul Hand,

Just read your profile and realised I am talking to an expert! I should have checked it first and would maybe have picked up on H&W a lot earlier! I am afraid I didn't know about your book until now but I am sure it was excellent. I hope you had nothing to do with that bloody Celine Dion song on the James Cameron film - if so you have a lot to answer for. (Whaaa)

I am nothing if not persistent. The real Benjidog on the avatar is a Bearded Collie and is only persistent when it comes to food.

Good puzzle!

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Brian,

Oul hand is indeed famous - he did the backing vocals on Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" track. Wonderful wasn't it! (Jester)

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gulpers said:
Brian,

Oul hand is indeed famous - he did the backing vocals on Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" track. Wonderful wasn't it! (Jester)
Awww shut up!!! I was three sheets to the wind at the time and Celine made me an offer I couldn't refuse (*)) (it involved cream, trifle and a big spoon but that's another story) Gulpers you are FAR too young for such details. (EEK) Now Kate Winslett OOOOOOOHHHHHHH LOL

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gulpers said:
Brian,

Don't you mean infamous. LOL

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
benjidog said:
Hi Oul Hand,

Just read your profile and realised I am talking to an expert! I should have checked it first and would maybe have picked up on H&W a lot earlier! I am afraid I didn't know about your book until now but I am sure it was excellent. I hope you had nothing to do with that bloody Celine Dion song on the James Cameron film - if so you have a lot to answer for. (Whaaa)

I am nothing if not persistent. The real Benjidog on the avatar is a Bearded Collie and is only persistent when it comes to food.

Good puzzle!
Not me Benjidog, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, come to think of it neither can Celine. LOL

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Tmac1720 said:
Awww shut up!!! I was three sheets to the wind at the time and Celine made me an offer I couldn't refuse (*)) (it involved cream, trifle and a big spoon but that's another story) Gulpers you are FAR too young for such details. (EEK) Now Kate Winslett OOOOOOOHHHHHHH LOL
Careful Oul hand, watch the Blood Pressure!
Go and have a cold shower immediately. (Jester)

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did with Kate, who do you think was under her dress during the sinking scenes? didn't know where to put my hands. (*))

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Lucky B! So the water was cold - we all thought she was "Peanut Smuggling!" (Jester)

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gulpers said:
Lucky B! So the water was cold - we all thought she was "Peanut Smuggling!" (Jester)
Har Har Har, avast behind!! Actually it wasn't that cold and you should have seen where she kept her hot water bottle. (Eats)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts