Ships Nostalgia banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Lay Up Unit 83/84.

Here's another one from the same era.The match was one organised against a Malaysian Airforce team.We also played them at rugby a couple of weeks later.We made the mistake of underestimating them because they were smaller than us.They might have been smaller but they were very fit,anyone was fit compared to us,and they ran us ragged when they got the ball.Sport was all very well but could they do a full case on a Sunday Jolly!The only name I can put to anyone is on the front row,far left.He was called Hoey and was from Northern Island.I should know the lad next but one to him on the right.I sailed with him a couple of time when he was 3/O.

Attachments

· Registered
170 Posts
I was having a sort out and found a photo album from the lay up unit around Christmas 1983.I can only think that the buffet was a Xmas party for us and the shore based staff.I think the shoreside super is in the light blue shorts,called John from the Consett area?The 3/E in the fore ground was my team leader,Tom McQueen?,and I think he is talking to a Cat Off.The other gent in the group was a C/O called Massingham I think.I was out there from Nov 83 till March 84.Like some others when I had done my time I jumped on the BA flight to Sidney and spent a month touring Australia.On the flight home I joined up with the lads from the unit,including one Sam Thomson from Ayr.Not a pretty sight at the end.
I was out there May to August 1983, and I can remember Tom being there. If this around Christmas, perhaps he did another trip? I also remember Sam Thomson. He was my junior on one ship, but which one is now a mystery!

· Registered
1,484 Posts
I was out there May to August 1983, and I can remember Tom being there. If this around Christmas, perhaps he did another trip? I also remember Sam Thomson. He was my junior on one ship, but which one is now a mystery!
Dave,

I can probably answer that if you wish?

I have the feeling , Tom "McQueen " is not correct

(Dec1983; Dobson, Foster, Fielding, Hunt, Nimmo, Macrae, Thompson, Thomas,Turnbull). Take your pick.

Or; (June 1983; Bromhead, Pope, McLay, Morgan, Voss)

A shortage of 3E's for the rest of the fleet? mind you the "Fleet" in 1983 was 34 ships, including North Sea units (4)

Graham.

· Registered
11,475 Posts
Was talking to Sam (and possibly absorbing a few pints) just a few weeks ago - he's a fleet director at V Ships.

· Registered
170 Posts
Sam Thompson was I think a 1974 EC, 4E on the Wye (with David Rundle Master) during the Falklands .

Last note I have on him was CE on the Success June 2001.

Graham
Graham, that may be the one. I joined the Wye when she returned from the Falklands at Portland. We stayed on MOD charter for several months but she never went back to the Falklands during that time.

· Registered
170 Posts
[/COLOR]
Dave,

I can probably answer that if you wish?

I have the feeling , Tom "McQueen " is not correct

(Dec1983; Dobson, Foster, Fielding, Hunt, Nimmo, Macrae, Thompson, Thomas,Turnbull). Take your pick.

Or; (June 1983; Bromhead, Pope, McLay, Morgan, Voss)

A shortage of 3E's for the rest of the fleet? mind you the "Fleet" in 1983 was 34 ships, including North Sea units (4)

Graham.
Graham, yes you are right, it's not McQueen, but I'm sure that is Tom Nimmo. Your post triggered a memory cell or two to come back to life. Your June 83 list also brings back a couple names from the past, John Broomhead (did phase 3 with John, Glasgow, 1974) and Adrian Voss. Also sailed with Adrian on one ship. Again, the ship eludes me, but I think I was 3/E and he was the 4/E.

· Registered
211 Posts
Here's another one from the same era.The match was one organised against a Malaysian Airforce team.We also played them at rugby a couple of weeks later.We made the mistake of underestimating them because they were smaller than us.They might have been smaller but they were very fit,anyone was fit compared to us,and they ran us ragged when they got the ball.Sport was all very well but could they do a full case on a Sunday Jolly!The only name I can put to anyone is on the front row,far left.He was called Hoey and was from Northern Island.I should know the lad next but one to him on the right.I sailed with him a couple of time when he was 3/O.
Back row fifth from left. Steve Harding? Lancashire lad sailed with him when he was a junior and 4/eng.

· Registered
170 Posts
Was talking to Sam (and possibly absorbing a few pints) just a few weeks ago - he's a fleet director at V Ships.
So Sam is still in the business then. I cant re-call too many of the folk I sailed with (although Graham's prompts do help dredge up a name or two from the past) but I do remember Sam. He was (is?) a tall, dark haired, strapping lad whose size and strength were handy for a bit of lifting of heavy plant.

PS. Just to add he was a very pleasant shipmate, very easy to get along with.

· Registered
30 Posts
I was having a sort out and found a photo album from the lay up unit around Christmas 1983.I can only think that the buffet was a Xmas party for us and the shore based staff.I think the shoreside super is in the light blue shorts,called John from the Consett area?The 3/E in the fore ground was my team leader,Tom McQueen?,and I think he is talking to a Cat Off.The other gent in the group was a C/O called Massingham I think.I was out there from Nov 83 till March 84.Like some others when I had done my time I jumped on the BA flight to Sidney and spent a month touring Australia.On the flight home I joined up with the lads from the unit,including one Sam Thomson from Ayr.Not a pretty sight at the end.
Yep thats me Ray Massingham I Was C/O at the time

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Graham,

David P Rowland was 4th engineer that trip.

Keith
Keith,

What made you pick his name out? of course he was an EC 1974 I think. But then there were a lot of ex EA/EC's aboard around that time

As far as I know Falklands started April 2nd 1982 and ended June 14th 1982, 74 days

Wye May 1982, MOD Charter
CE, KG (62 EA),
2E, KGP (63EA)
3E, RRH (73EC)
4E, DPR(74?EC)
JE's, ACL(76? EC), GJG (76? EC), RCD

June 1982 MOD Charter
CE, KG, WMIW
2E, KGP, LN
3E, RRH
4E, DPR
JE's, RCD, PDL(76?EC), ACL(76?EC)

July 1982 still on MOD Charter
CE, KG, BRHJ (60EA)
2E, KGP, DGP ( EC?)
3E, RRH, DWM (EC 70EC)
4E, DPR , ST ( 74EC)
JE's,RFM ( 79?EC), RCD, ACL

Graham

· Registered
170 Posts
July 1982 still on MOD Charter
CE, KG, BRHJ (60EA)
2E, KGP, DGP ( EC?)
3E, RRH, DWM (EC 70EC)
4E, DPR , ST ( 74EC)
JE's,RFM ( 79?EC), RCD, ACL

Graham
Graham, I am the DWM here but I was a 1971 E/C, not 1970. Checking my discharge book, I joined the Wye at Portland on 11/07/82 on her return from the south Atlantic. I seem to remember we were there for about a week before sailing via Suez to Bahrain, where we loaded a cargo for Singapore.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I have BP files coming out of the ying-yang, two of them listed you as 1970 and two as 1971. Now all corrected!

Do you realise it was 2009 when we were in touch, I have all your emails on file, in actual fact all emails from every BP contact I have made......... except one John Crosbie when in our early years I managed to delete a couple of old ones transferring to a new computer.

That's well over 1000 personnel, not including all the non BP ex MN personnel, they are on file as well.

Graham

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Dave,

I forgot to mention, you were quite correct about Singapore.

Wye shown 11 August 1982; Portland - Singapore - Bahrein - NWE. Sld Portland 22/7

Wye Oct 1982; arrived Portsmouth 11/10

And I notice that Simon Tompkings was then a Deck Cadet on her, he was my godson, ref a previous SN BP thread in 2009

Graham

81 - 100 of 137 Posts