Ships Nostalgia banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Dave,

I forgot to mention, you were quite correct about Singapore.

Wye shown 11 August 1982; Portland - Singapore - Bahrein - NWE. Sld Portland 22/7

Wye Oct 1982; arrived Portsmouth 11/10

And I notice that Simon Tompkings was then a Deck Cadet on her, he was my godson, ref a previous SN BP thread in 2009

Graham
Yes, I remember that previous thread well. So it was on the Wye that I sailed with Simon, another piece of my BP jigsaw put into place!

· Registered
117 Posts
Keith,

What made you pick his name out? of course he was an EC 1974 I think. But then there were a lot of ex EA/EC's aboard around that time

As far as I know Falklands started April 2nd 1982 and ended June 14th 1982, 74 days

Wye May 1982, MOD Charter
CE, KG (62 EA),
2E, KGP (63EA)
3E, RRH (73EC)
4E, DPR(74?EC)
JE's, ACL(76? EC), GJG (76? EC), RCD

June 1982 MOD Charter
CE, KG, WMIW
2E, KGP, LN
3E, RRH
4E, DPR
JE's, RCD, PDL(76?EC), ACL(76?EC)

July 1982 still on MOD Charter
CE, KG, BRHJ (60EA)
2E, KGP, DGP ( EC?)
3E, RRH, DWM (EC 70EC)
4E, DPR , ST ( 74EC)
JE's,RFM ( 79?EC), RCD, ACL

Graham
Graham,

It was from the little booklet that was sent to all who participated. I attach page 27 (the last page) of the book. I have attached it to posts before, but never as a subject in itself.

Attachments

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Keith ,
So much for my attempt to keep full names secret, not that it really matters though. Quite a few guys there I have never come across

Actually I had a few pages off the Operation Corporate doc before , but recently down loaded the whole doc, which is much more useful to me. It was possibly your endeavour I took them from, Ta

Graham

· Registered
117 Posts
Keith ,
So much for my attempt to keep full names secret, not that it really matters though. Quite a few guys there I have never come across

Actually I had a few pages off the Operation Corporate doc before , but recently down loaded the whole doc, which is much more useful to me. It was possibly your endeavour I took them from, Ta

Graham
Oops, I see that now. Doh.

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Phil,

Yup, I from what I have heard, pretty rough, and the weekends just terrible having to 'work' ashore, tch.

But I did not know you had wives aboard, double duty that is! And what's that in the background of the second pic, a big black snake? (zip tied to the handrail)

Graham
When I arrived to do some work in preparation for rafting I had to live ashore in the hotel for about a month, really rough going.(Jester)

No wives, this was a party for shoreside people.

Many scuppers were used to collect rainwater piped via the "black snakes" to the water tanks.

· Registered
45 Posts
Spent four trips in Brunei two on purpose/ progress raft then two on the trident. The water was collected on the main deck for washing with and drinking water was collected from the monkey island. There was the yellow brick road on the raft that was an interesting as you could find you self in the right cabin but on the wrong ship, beer could have a lot to do with that as there was the two bars on the vessels.

· Registered
434 Posts
Spent four trips in Brunei two on purpose/ progress raft then two on the trident. The water was collected on the main deck for washing with and drinking water was collected from the monkey island. There was the yellow brick road on the raft that was an interesting as you could find you self in the right cabin but on the wrong ship, beer could have a lot to do with that as there was the two bars on the vessels.
Hi Campell47

I think I was on the purpose/progress the same time as you. However I didn't complete a full trip. I had to hurry home as my dad was in the final stages of terminal cancer :( I always found funny the mountain of beer cans on the maindeck in the morning after a good sundowners session the night before :)

· Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks Campbell Dave Farmer it is.

Cheers Doug, all the best to you and the family. Slowly falling apart here, just like a BP Eytie, considering being put down.

· Registered
4 Posts
Just joined the site & reminising
I was one of 3/O's Aug 83 to Dec 83 paying off just before xmas, that's me front row 2nd left, have loads of photos from that era parties, 3 legged hash run etc will upload soon

101 - 120 of 137 Posts