Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with Facebook accounts there is a new page designed for ex-students and staff who attended the Maritime Radio course at the college. Plenty of photographs, memories and updates on what happened to students. Simply search for Brunel Technical College: Radio Communications and Radar - and request to join.

Good fun in these uncertain times.

Larry +

· Registered
22 Posts
Joining your new Facebook Group

Hi Larry. I have made a request to join a little earlier today. I attended the College in 1963-1964 when it was Bristol Technical College. I see the posts talk of many lecturers I knew but certainly not your members - I am too old to know them !!! It would be intersting if any of the students from my era are still around ! Roger

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did my PMG cert there in 1968-69. I also will not join Facebook, but seem to remember that 'FB' was the nickname of our morse code instructor (Mr Brouder?)
That'll be Phil Brouder no doubt. Splendid chap, once we got him going about his experiences at sea that was the next hour sorted....sadly RIP but some great memories.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi Larry. I have made a request to join a little earlier today. I attended the College in 1963-1964 when it was Bristol Technical College. I see the posts talk of many lecturers I knew but certainly not your members - I am too old to know them !!! It would be intersting if any of the students from my era are still around ! Roger
Hi :)
I attended the Bristol tech 1964 for two years Did 2nd class PMG and Radar
certs. I went to sea immediately afterwards. I also find Facebook totally creepy and have never used it.
Regards
Peter Bailey

· Registered
5 Posts
G'day

Hi :)
I was there 1964-67. Did the 2nd class and Radar cert. Went to sea immediately afterwards.
Regards
Pete Bailey

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi Pete. I have joined the group on Facebook. I am aware of the doubts you have regarding FB but consider it a small price to pay for the convenience. The FB Brunel College Group is interesting and I hope it expands. I was in quite a small class and started under the Lecturer Norman Rush? in 1963/64 at Davey House and later move to Muller House. Obviously memory is fading a bit now but some of the class members I remember were Dave Spencer, Ian Smith, Siegried Knorr,xxx Denny. There was a student from Nigeria who I have forgotten the name. It seems that a number were not planning to go to sea but would be interested to see if they did. We did not have much contact with other years students so I cannot remember you - I expect we would have been in the cafe at the same time. I started January 1963 I did go straight through 2nd Class , 1st Class and then Radar and so finished after 2 years late 1964. I then went to work with Cunard-Brocklebanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
For those with Facebook accounts there is a new page designed for ex-students and staff who attended the Maritime Radio course at the college. Plenty of photographs, memories and updates on what happened to students. Simply search for Brunel Technical College: Radio Communications and Radar - and request to join.

Good fun in these uncertain times.

Larry +
Hi Larry
I was at Brunel 89-92 although did not go to sea. I am on that group and there are a wide range of ages/experiences etc. I absolutely understand some of the comments re: Facebook & privacy etc, but this group is a very friendly place and it would be good to get more ‘Brunel Vets’ on there. Likewise I will point the group to this forum. Best wishes to all.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi Larry, I attended the School of Marine Radio and Radar at Bristol Technical College (as it was then known as) in RAD109 in 1965/66 to obtain my 2nd class certificate. I went to sea and Australia, where I obtained my 1st class ticket. I also am very hesitant about FB, but really want to see what and who is on this site. I'll probably get my daughter to set me up on it (I was a radio man not a software one).
Cheers
Nigel

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi Larry, I attended the School of Marine Radio and Radar at Bristol Technical College (as it was then known as) in RAD109 in 1965/66 to obtain my 2nd class certificate. I went to sea and Australia, where I obtained my 1st class ticket. I also am very hesitant about FB, but really want to see what and who is on this site. I'll probably get my daughter to set me up on it (I was a radio man not a software one).
Cheers
Nigel
Hi Nigel, if you can get your Facebook page sorted you'll find the Brunel Tech page fascinating. Plenty of stories of lecturers and students, as well as quite a few 'episodes' which are great to look back on. You were before my time (I was RAD186 between 1976-79) but there are a few of your vintage who contribute to the page.
Cheers
Larry

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi Nigel, if you can get your Facebook page sorted you'll find the Brunel Tech page fascinating. Plenty of stories of lecturers and students, as well as quite a few 'episodes' which are great to look back on. You were before my time (I was RAD186 between 1976-79) but there a few of your vintage who contribute to the page.
Cheers
Larry
Hi Larry, many thanks for your response. I'll get my daughter, and grandson, to sort it our for this poor old dinisaur.
Cheers
Nigel

· Registered
314 Posts
I'm another one who does not do FacelessBook.
I was in Muller's Orphan Home from Sept '63 to Sept '65.
Got my 2nd, 1st, Radar & did the summer pre-sea course.
My best mate on the course was George Gascoyne who sadly went Silent Key some months ago.
I didn't keep up with any of the others.
Memories of two students from "white man's grave" land who were railway Morse men.
Their Morse was and continued to be execrable - a nightmare if paired up with them!
"Nunky" Kneeshaw.
The Jehovas Witness lecturer who sat every lunchtime with his sandwiches studying the Watch Tower and making copious notes.
The excellent radar course lecturer made the difficult material understandable.

Went back for two terms Jan-July 1969 for the Electronics Officer courses. I still have the A3 certificates signed by the legendary Ballsdrop!

Happy memories of my time there.

Bruce MORRIS GW4XXF

· Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bruce,

The JW lecturer you recall was the 'legendary' Norman Rush. I had him as my head tutor in 1976 and he had a unique teaching method which sometimes included hurling board rubbers and even chairs at students who dared to fall asleep during his lectures. His diagrams were always meticulously drawn on the blackboard. He always enjoyed his MvcEwans Export and the occasional 'bribe' of a 4-pack on his desk would ensure a day off the following day.....A lovely chap though, and he took me under his wing when I was getting in 'bad company' in my class. Will always thank him for that. No doubt the radar course lecturer would have been Pete Masters? Knew his stuff backwards and a joy to be taught by him.
Happy days indeed.

Larry

· Registered
14 Posts
I'm another one who does not do FacelessBook.
I was in Muller's Orphan Home from Sept '63 to Sept '65.
Got my 2nd, 1st, Radar & did the summer pre-sea course.
My best mate on the course was George Gascoyne who sadly went Silent Key some months ago.
I didn't keep up with any of the others.
Memories of two students from "white man's grave" land who were railway Morse men.
Their Morse was and continued to be execrable - a nightmare if paired up with them!
"Nunky" Kneeshaw.
The Jehovas Witness lecturer who sat every lunchtime with his sandwiches studying the Watch Tower and making copious notes.
The excellent radar course lecturer made the difficult material understandable.

Went back for two terms Jan-July 1969 for the Electronics Officer courses. I still have the A3 certificates signed by the legendary Ballsdrop!

Happy memories of my time there.

Bruce MORRIS GW4XXF
Good morning Bruce, sitting out on our verandah in sunny Mandurah Western Australia, all of these posts on the Bristol Technical College (Marine Radio and Radar) brought on great bouts of nostalgia. It sent me indoors to a book cupboard, and low and behold their was still my copy of the Bristol Technical College Students Union Handbook 1965-66. Staring out at me were pictures of a young Bruce Morris, George Gascoyne and Chris Riddet being Radio Department representatives on the Union. Another Radio Department face was that of Malcolm Herring as Rag Chairman. Didn't know any of you, but there you are, kept in posterity in Mandurah WA. Amazing what one decides to keep when moving around the world.
Cheers
Nigel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts