Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ahoy John,
The HOLMSIDE[2] was built in 1941 as EMPIRE SEDGE at Gray 2852 tons,and traded for Burnett from 1945-1956.
Sold in 1956 as GRANSHA[British]
Sold in 1960 as DANIELA T[Italy]
Sold in 1972 as VULCA[Italy]
Broken up 06-1974 at La Spezia
Ahoy Ruud- do you possibly have any pics of the Empire Sedge, (or pics of the subsequent names.)?
Am desperately trying to get a photo.
Tonyy

·
Registered
350 Posts
I joined Burnetts in 1973 as mate on their managed vessels, run from Milburn House in Newcastle and was captain with them from late 74 to 77 when they folded. They managed the Swedish Orient Line ships, Thebeland, Tundraland, Thuleland & Traneland as well as the ro-ro Federal Byblos. Swedish Orient and Fedcom had an arrangement to trade on SOL routes in the winter and the Canadian Arctic in the summer (I have posted photos of the Arctic trips). In 77 Fedcom closed the Newcastle Office and transferred management to Dalgliesh but that lasted only a few months before the lot folded. John (Jack) Robson was the M.Director of Burnetts an absolute gentleman.

Hi capkelly
Do you know if this Shipping Company opetated around the Aussie Coasy in the 1960's at all ?
Thanks
joller6

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dear John,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to reply and post such a complete history of the Burnett Company. I am trying to do a history of the family and I am very grateful for your help. Emily Swift.
I sailed on the Tynemouth in the 1964, 65 with Capt Joe Barrass, and when he left the ship the mate took over, being Capt Tom Burke from Tynemouth or nearby. I have some pictures of the ship I could publish and here's one in the Welland Canal downbound with a full holds of grain and a deck cargo of timber. Happy days they were up the great lakes, & Eastern Canada. The collision with Inverewe was not spectacular, just bent the bow a bit.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Burnett Steamship Company

Hi was surfing the net today and decided to enter Burnett Steamship in google, to my surprise I found lots of information had been posted. I worked for this firm office based from August 1964 until September 1977 when I transferred to RS Dalglish. I recall John (Jack) Robson catching me outside Milburn House in July 1964 asking if I would like to work from him at Burnetts. Afper my interview with the then Company Secretary Stanley Harrison was offered the job as Office Junior, I accepted and after that never really looked back. I had a super time with this old established Tyneside Shipping Firm. I was involved in all aspects of the firm from Office/Crew Accounts, signing on/off crews home and abroad, stores, and had the pleasure of travelling to Canada, Scandinavia, Europe where I met a host of ships officers/crews agents etc. It was such a sad occasion when Burnetts finally stopped trading. It is true they were taken over by a Canadian Firm, Federal Commerce and Navigation Co I think about the early 1970's and later amalgamated with another old Tyneside Shipping Company Chapman and Willan. I have lots of great memories from this time and am sure have photographs of some of the vessels previously mentioned in earlier threads in the attic somewhere! Will dig them out. I have photographs of vessels loading at Montreal Harbour for the Artic, think it was the MV Thebeland, I worked in Montreal for a short time in August 1972 and think the Capt was called David Bone. Will give some thought to remembering more names etc and updated again later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear sir.Wouldyou by any change have a picture of the Federal Humber ex Federal Byblos.I made severlal trips on her way back in the 70's and i cant find a picture of her. I also saild on the Federal Avalon.
Greetings kees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear sir.Wouldyou by any change have a picture of the Federal Humber ex Federal Byblos.I made severlal trips on her way back in the 70's and i cant find a picture of her. I also saild on the Federal Avalon.
Greetings kees.
Hi although I was on the Federal Byblos whilst she underwent overhaul on the Tyne back in the seventies, I unfortunatgely do not have any photographs. I seem to recall she went out the the middle east at some stage. Will attempot to dig out some photos at some stage and get tghem uploaded. Regards. Roy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sailed on the Tynemouth in the 1964, 65 with Capt Joe Barrass, and when he left the ship the mate took over, being Capt Tom Burke from Tynemouth or nearby. I have some pictures of the ship I could publish and here's one in the Welland Canal downbound with a full holds of grain and a deck cargo of timber. Happy days they were up the great lakes, & Eastern Canada. The collision with Inverewe was not spectacular, just bent the bow a bit.

Andrew
Hi, I sailed as a cabin boy on the Tynemouth around 1966/7 , would be interested in any pics and info you could send me,thanks
John Taylor

·
Registered
3 Posts
SS Tynemouth

Hi, I sailed as a cabin boy on the Tynemouth around 1966/7 , would be interested in any pics and info you could send me,thanks
John Taylor
Hi John, just saw your message re the old SS Tynemouth. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this particular vessel. Case you didn't know the vessel was purchased way back in the late 1960's/early 70's by a Taiwanese company and renamed the Eastern River, I see from an earlier post on here that the vessel was scrapped after running aground or something worse many years ago. I worked within the office from 1964-1977 and had many happy memories of the firm and the ships and crews. Great days, sadly missed on the Tyne these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ss wallsend wreck found in israel

Hello,
My name is Flaviu and I think i found the ss wallsend ship wrecked on the seashore in Israel (wallsend (3) 1924-1934).
To complit the research and I need the plans of the ship.
Somebody can help me with information where I can find them?
Thanks a lot Flaviu

·
Registered
8 Posts
S.S. Holmside

Hi
I sailed on the Burnett SS Co ss Holmside ex Empire Sedge in 1953 I have been able to get quite a lot of info on this vessel but the Co seems to have disapeared I think it was taken over by a Canadian Co but any info would be gratefully received
Hi
My Dad, Vivian Squibbs was 2nd Mate on the Holmside for 2 trips:
16.10.1968 - 1st out from Sorel, Canada and back to Tyne & Wear Ports with Master J Crab?? (not sure about his surname). Dad's wage slip was stamped 31.1.1969 Tyne & Wear Port. 2nd trip 23.2.1969 to 8.5.1969 was out from Tyne & Wear, returning to Brake.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts