Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mystery, no indication of a colour background to the sleeve rings-Suggests a deck officer. The cap interesting if correct? He has scrabbled egg on the peak, suggesting MN commodore of the fleet, but alas his arm/sleeve band only show 3 rings, not those of a master. I t may be a dress up occassion of an actor/player.
It is not the wavy navy or RN or a commonweath navy?? I believe.
It may be some shop or naval out fitter flogging their uniforms at the turn of the centuary???
Alas I can not be positive!!!!! Sorry.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
This is the old style ROYAL NAVY RESERVE ( same as RNVR wave but is 'double'). The present RNR braid is the same as RN, but with the small letter 'R' in the curl dates from 1951.

Cap 'scrambled eggs' is same as RN and is used on the rank of Commander (three full stripes) Captain (four full stripes).

The photo shows Lt Cdr braid. 2 + 1/2 stripe.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Ah the B&C braid. The curl and the 1/16 inch braid!!!!! Sorry... just trying to wind you up... too early in the am.

I'm a bit 'annoyed' with today's braid. No mater they are British 'cruise ships' they have all decied to use Norwegian braid, with the diamond on the top. Even more silly, cruise masters are wearing 1 wide band of gold with 3 stripes above. That is like the Admiral's markings!
Here is Master of QM2 in his office. Hmmm... the painting on the bulkhead is one of mine. I thought it has been half-inched!

Stephen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Again interesting? Does it answer= What Is MN and RN and RNVR Braid/
I sailed with BP tankers, as a mark of respect I understood that due to the losses in WW11 the company was permitted to allow its offices [All} to wear the braid with the RN LOOP;
As master of the QE" 2, is this master all smiles a RNR/RNVR Officer and hence permitted to wear the loop and the broad band? out of respect, or is this a photo shoot/or were Cunnard permited by the Admiralty to allow all its officers to wear the RN LOOP and not the MN Diamond??
Answers on a postcard please, Not just a pretty picture of who's who?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another querry// dear sirs/ Please/ Should the master of a vessel in the MN hold the rank of a RNR or RNVR officer, are they entitled to fly the BLUE ENSIGN, as opposed to the RED Duster? Following on from this should the /a MN Vessel have a number [5/6] RNR/RNVR officers serving on board-not necessarily the master, can this vessel also fly the blue ensign while these offices are on board? What maybe the minimum of officers/ratings in the RNR/RNVR that must be on board not including the Master to fly the Blue ensign??
Answers again on a post card, not just pretty pictures.
From a scallywagxx

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
RN, RNR, RNVR have their own 'regulations'. There is also a 'standard' MN... with the diamond 'within' the stripes. This braid is used by the 'Merchant Navy'. Of course there are companies like, P&O, Cunard, White Starr, BP, Ben, Cayzer Irvine etc and they have their own style. The only that one that used 'identical' RN braid is Ben Line. Cunard, Shaw Savill use straight stripes, no loop, no diamond etc. White Star (back in the old day) wore RN braid. BP and Cayzer use the loop, but not the thick RN stripe, it is thinner.

Oh, BP wearing the RN loop 'as a mark of respect due to losses in the war'... that is a myth. Here is a photo of a British Tanker Company (later became BP) with a BTC 3rd Officer, photo taken 1940. The loop on the epaulette is clearly show. The war had only just started.

Cunard wore straight stripes, no loop, no diamond. Some years ago (like 20) Seabourn Cruises became part of Carnival Corporation. A lot of Norwegian officers came from Seabourn and some moved to Cunard. Someone thought the Norwegian style uniform, the braid and also the 6 button, not 8 button old reefer, looked better than Cunard, So... there it is. Done for 'style'. Here is the rub. The engineers (then on QE2) were quite happy with their braid. They didn't want any Scandinavian nonsense, they demanded to keep their old style. Here is photo of a Cunard 'Cheng'... straight braid with purple between.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I respectfully ask? are some of us Bent or Curly? or are we all straight?? HEE HEE? Some of us like mixed sex crews and officers are true 'Diamonds'?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Some very interesting responses here, particularly from Stephen Card. It wasn't until I looked more closely at he two photographs that I realised that, at least until the end of WWI according to Royal Navy Reserve Officer Rank Insignia, WW1 , Royal Naval Reserve officers wore a different cap badges from Royal Navy officers. Curiously enough, I also note from the link that, for a period at least, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Lieutenant Commanders wore a straight half stripe like Royal Naval Reserve, rather than a wavy one.

Royal Naval Reserve officers now wear exactly the same rank markings as Royal Navy officers, and the only officers sporting old style Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve rank markings are those in the RN Combined Cadet Force and the Sea Cadet Corps.

I particularly agree with Stephen about cruise ship masters masquerading as Italian admirals!

Jack

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's along time ago now, but I think Shaw Savill had variations on the standard MN braid, at least for deck officers.

1 stripe-uncert 3/O
2 stripes-certificated 3/O
2 1/2 stripes 2/O
Then three for C/O and four for Master.

But I seem to recall that if they had served a certain amount of time on the passenger ships then they did wear a diamond as well.

Martyn

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
It's along time ago now, but I think Shaw Savill had variations on the standard MN braid, at least for deck officers.
But I seem to recall that if they had served a certain amount of time on the passenger ships then they did wear a diamond as well.

Martyn
I sailed briefly with SS&A. 2 1/2 stripe... 2nd Mate. Went back to J&J and the OM asked me about the braid, "Ah, that is 'Reefer Braid'. Went up to C/O and went for the SS&A braid too. Even later when master.

I don't think SS&A wore the diamond on teh top... even in the passenger ship. Have seen several photos and some video showing the plain braid. Here is a photo from Capt Aitchison on the Royal Yacht GOTHIC... still with RED ensign! Shows the officers with plain stripes.
Stephen

Photograph White Hat Coat Standing

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sailed briefly with SS&A. 2 1/2 stripe... 2nd Mate. Went back to J&J and the OM asked me about the braid, "Ah, that is 'Reefer Braid'. Went up to C/O and went for the SS&A braid too. Even later when master.

I don't think SS&A wore the diamond on teh top... even in the passenger ship. Have seen several photos and some video showing the plain braid. Here is a photo from Capt Aitchison on the Royal Yacht GOTHIC... still with RED ensign! Shows the officers with plain stripes.
Stephen

View attachment 688687
we are the silent service, just strips of gold, and a heart of gold, signing up for our country; NEVER MIND WERE WE FINISH UP/ , as the quote ''THE RED DUSTER'' We polish the 'BRASS'??

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
We provide during war time and the rest of the time we are just uselss layabouts.

RN goes ships to sea for training. In the Merch we come ashore to get our training [exercise' Kanaalstraat, Reeperbahn or Blythswood Square or even at 'The Gut' in Valetta. !!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts