Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attached is a detail from a plan of a WW2 Steam Gunboat (the "Denny" Grey Class) showing upper superstructure and mast/mast stays. My question is, what are the round black objects shown halfway up each of the eight mast stays? Photos of the Class show that most of the vessels had these round 'black blobs' while a few had elongated (sausage) shapes that must have been about 2-3 feet long. I'm well on with making a model of the class and like to know that I'm getting it right. One suggestion was 'silencers' to cut down rigging noise but what do you think? I will place a pint behind the bar of my local for the most convincing answer. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents,

The Class had its aerials slung fore and aft via the mast. As far as available plans and photographs show, at the upper end the stays terminate at mast brackets and at the lower end to the deck via rigging screws. If it helps, there were 4 upper stays (2 fore/2aft) and 4 lower stays (2 fore/2 aft). If these are insulators, thats an awful lot of aerials?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ratty,

I go along with the idea of insulators but there is no DF loop on the plan. You must be confusing it with something else.

Thanks to all who replied, especially John/gwzm who wins the pint. I can now model away happily in the knowledge that I now know what I'm making. Cheers!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
R651400 - Sorry, that "DF Loop" is an 18" searchlight seen in side elevation!

Billyboy - The Grey Goose outlasted all her sisters until 1955 when she was used as a floating testbed for gas turbine propulsion. As far as I know, she was scrapped on completion of trials.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.