Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,

For all of you CP "lovers", found in the famous old shoebox some of the CP vessels, all taken in the Rotterdam area mid/end '70's

CP Discoverer 1971
CP Trader 1971
CP Voyageur 1970

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Beaveroak

Worked on Beaveroak while being built at Vicker Armstrongs Navel Yard Walker in the late 60s along with the p boats for Blue flu line a smart vessel .

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Last CP Ship

For all you old CP folks. Two photos of the Beaveroak. Copied from a book I have.

Regards

Blair lagerstedt
NZ
I stood by the building of the 'Beaveroak' in 1995 as Company Representative. I was the Mate and the Master, Captain Basil Ford only joined at the last moment, prior to the Trials (He had no experience of the Great Lakes and their Navigational and Operational requirements).
I left CP December 1965 to eimigrate to Canada.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I was in St John N.B. sometime in 1944 when the so called "lucky" BEAVERHILL had a problem sailing fully laden. She grounded on the Hillyards Reef and stayed there. I watched it happening. Is there anyone around who was there at the time, or knows anything about? Hugh Ferguson.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ahoy,

For all of you CP "lovers", found in the famous old shoebox some of the CP vessels, all taken in the Rotterdam area mid/end '70's

CP Discoverer 1971
CP Trader 1971
CP Voyageur 1970
Thanks Ruud, I was on the CP Voyageur in 1972 - good to see her again.

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was shanghied of the :E OF FRANCE"to "BEAVERBURN"in Monteal early one
morning... Empire Boat and really "heavy" on deck, German Deck crew,Dutch
Steward Dept.,and Flemish Firemen: signed on and of every port in Europe and
never returned to UK. Old Man made me do all chartwork on Flying Bridge,no
cover from sleet , pine trees in the St Lawrence instead of buoys, ready for ice.

·
sailor63
74 Posts
Hi Geoff, Not quite your time, a year in front actually. I did what amounts to a season on the Beaverfir from 25th march 1964, ( still using ice-breakers on the St. Lawrence!) till19th. december, 1964. ( 5 trips) home just in time for xmas. Only 3000 tons gross! she rolled like a barrel! I well remember surfing across the laundry room deck while hand scrubbing my dungys. lol. She was sold 3 times, 1972 to Liberia, 1975 to Venezuela, 1980 to cayman Islands, was wrecked on 20th. september 1982 at a place called Barra De Santigo. (Scribe) Cheers Colin Knight, (Deck).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Geoff
I was on the Beaverelm for one trip in Oct/Nov 1966 as 4th eng after joining her from the Imperial Star (a terrible ship,B&W poppet valve 9 cylinder twin screw) which was then tied up in front of her. Excellent ship. Des? was Chief Keith Dancy was 2nd. I cannot remember anyone else. I then joined the R.B. Angus and stayed with her until she sank. I joined the Beaverfir in May or June 1967 for a trip and then went to the H,R,McMillan.
Cheers

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello all ,I joined Beaverelm in Dec 62 as Chippy,more or less straight out of my apprenticeship.I did four trips in her then joined the Fir for eight trips,my last trip was back on the Elm sailng in June 67 .plus i did stints working by in the Vic.I enjoyed my time at C.P.especially on the Great Lakes ,not so good in the winter as you know,talk about rock n roll.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Served my time with CPR (as it was known then). Aboard the Beaverford when she was 'iced in' alongside in Montreal October 1958 to February 1959. Interesting times!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello Geoff, Did you say that you were 4th Eng. on the Beaverfir in 1966. I was 4th Eng. on her in 1962. Were all the beer labels still stuck inside the wardrobe in the 4ths cabin?
An interesting fact that I just uncovered yesterday. Canadian Pacific bought the fleet of Beaver ships from Elder Dempster in 1903. Hey, where would we be without computers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There is a lot of confusing information on the Web. I know that it was definately the Empress of Canada that caught fire in Gladstone dock in 1953. There is another reference to the Empress of Canada being torpedoed by an Italian submarine in either 1942 or 1943. Strangely she was carrying Italian POWs and an awful lot of them were lost. I can only put this down to the fact that CP was forever changing the names of their ships. I`m sure that they lost another ship by a fire. I remember one thing they were very strict about fire drill. We would be questioned about Fire extinguishers and Fire exits and if you didn`t know the locations you were in trouble.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I kept my testimonials that you got on leaving a ship and I`ve just found that the Chief Engineer on the Beaverfir 1962 to 1963 was J McKibbon. I get a good laugh when I sometimes dig them out and see the Report as to Sobriety---- Very Good. How bad had you to be to be called a drunk??????

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Hello Geoff, Did you say that you were 4th Eng. on the Beaverfir in 1966. I was 4th Eng. on her in 1962. Were all the beer labels still stuck inside the wardrobe in the 4ths cabin?
An interesting fact that I just uncovered yesterday. Canadian Pacific bought the fleet of Beaver ships from Elder Dempster in 1903. Hey, where would we be without computers.
Geoff hasn't been to SN since April 2009. I hope he's OK.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Shipmates,I sailed on the Empress of England 67/68 It was a great ship to be on.I joined at the tail of the bank on the clyde with a piper playing in full regalia as passengers were boarding.I was catering boy and on Joining found myself promoted to the platehouse.good move as wages trebled.Then made my way into the Kitchen as Assistant Cook.I think it was a Jim Jeffries who was Chef and George Sandys.I remember sailing down the clyde on her when The Q E 2 was doing her trials. She was astern of us when she developed problems.
Some of my best seagoing memories were of that vessel,liverpool for me was the best run ashore in the World bar none and that after a career at sea of over eighteen years.Sailing to Montreal in the summer and then on to the cruising.Those were the days.Regards to any who were there at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray
Geoff; just re-registered on the site. Getting a little bit older, but delighted at first visit to see reference to CP Ships:
Joined - Beaveroak/CP Ambassador, NR Crump, then sent to TSU for the Maiden of the TG Shaughnessy on which I served for a while.
Left CP late '74 and joined ZAPATA Marine to work the Nigerian Oil Base at WARRI. First post for years will keep it short.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sailed on the Scotland as A.B,late 50s cruising out of New York. Was the the Empress boat that was previously the DeGrasse I think it was the France,they used to say at the Pool as she was going thro looking for a crew(Keep of the Grass) maybe some Liverpool crew will remember this and why it was said.

·
Registered
209 Posts
timelink site.

Geoff
What is the url for the website for CP Ships ex employees
Regards

Gand00k1n
You requested the url for the timelink site. Just had an email back from Marshall Christie today, re uploading photos. The only one that can upload on the site is himself.

copy of the paragraph

'Thanks for yours – yes I can upload photos onto the website but no one else can!!!'

Can't say I blame him. Most of the ones I have are 'happy snappies' of parties and not everyone wants to be remembered of their youth taking part in fancy dress parties etc.

Lucy Knight

41 - 60 of 119 Posts