Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of 4 built in 1976 for Scottish Ship Management(Lyle/Hogarth).2 had Hogarth names,BARON PENTLAND and BARON NAPIER and the other 2 were
CAPE RODNEY and CAPE ORTEGAL.
This shot was taken as CAPE RODNEY sailed on her delivery voyage in 1976.She is now a bulk sugar carrier CHL INNOVATOR.

Attachments

·
Banned
3 Posts
"CHL Innovator" on her first (and only, I think) visit to Timaru, NZ in early 1995.
She was the first ship to discharge directly into the Bulk Sugar facility built by Port of Timaru Ltd.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
At the end 2003 were in service BARON PENTLAND reg. Shanghai as HUA ZHEN
and CAPE RODNEY as CHL INNOVATOR

·
Registered
138 Posts
The conversion of Cape Rodney from bulker to Cargo Handling Liner ( CHL )has taken more than 2 years in France. It was just a gamble whether the system of Bulk In Bags Out (BI-BO) should be successfull. The system proved to be successfull and several more vessels followed whereof one complete newbuilding in Harlingen Holland for cement.
All done through the former TFL/TNT office in Rotterdam. The office still exists, however under an other name. One of the older vessels, as far as I can remember the CHL Innovator, was converted in rotterdam at Wilton-Fijenoord Shipyard to meet the australian/new zealand union requirements and regulations.
B/Regards
Aadje

·
Registered
9 Posts
Done the Cape Rodney's third crew voyage in July 77. After leaving her sister ship the Baron Napier after 6 month trip joining her in Vancouver in Oct 76 and paying off in Mar 77 Ravenna...please feel free to visit the SSM website @ www.scottishshipmanagement.com Regards Iain

Hopefully attached is the two other sister ships, the Baron's Napier and Pentland

Attachments

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Hogarth

Fairfield said:
One of 4 built in 1976 for Scottish Ship Management(Lyle/Hogarth).2 had Hogarth names,BARON PENTLAND and BARON NAPIER and the other 2 were
CAPE RODNEY and CAPE ORTEGAL.
This shot was taken as CAPE RODNEY sailed on her delivery voyage in 1976.She is now a bulk sugar carrier CHL INNOVATOR.
Is this the same company that used to be referred to as Hungry Hogarth, the story went that the crew were on minimal rations and other conditions were not very good?

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
thunderd said:
Is this the same company that used to be referred to as Hungry Hogarth, the story went that the crew were on minimal rations and other conditions were not very good?
Scottish ship Management were originally an amalgamation of Hogarths, Lyles (of Glasgow) and Lamberts of London.

Hogarths did have the nickname "Hungry Hogarths" (wasn't Harrisons of Liverpool also so named?). Whatever the conditions of the past, Scottish Ship Management in the '70s and '80s were as good as any and better than most British companies. I was with them for a couple of years in the early '70s and sailed with far worse companies.

John T.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Were these vessels not known as the "Cardiff" class of bulk carrier from the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, Govan yard in the mid-seventies?

Ownership of "CHL Innovator" was by Commodity Handling Pte.Ltd., Singapore (hence the CHL), a company owned jointly by E.D. & F. Man of London and TNT Shipping and Development, Sydney. She had been converted specifically for the carriage of refined sugar, on the basis of "bulk in/ bagged out" for Mackay Refined Sugars Ltd, Queensland - carried TNT funnel colours - was managed by Holyman Ltd., Sydney through its Rotterdam office and had an Australian crew managed by ASP Ship Management, Melbourne.

In 1994, E.D. & F. Man contracted the Welgelegen Shipyard in Holland to build a replacement for "CHL Innovator" - she was delivered in 1996 as "MRS Pioneer" with Australian registry/manning and management by BHP Transport, Melbourne. She has since had the "MRS" part of her name dropped and operates today as "Pioneer" in the refined sugar trade out of Mackay, Queensland.

----------------
Mike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pioneer

Some up to date stuff on the BIBO Pioneer of which I'm presently Chief Engineer.
From delivery in 1996 she has been employed in mostly spot cargoes around Asia with a couple to Bander Abbas. Since 2001 we have been trading to Singapore discharging with our Portable Bagging Unit (PBU) into 1000kg bags and simultaneously into 50kg bags via the on-board Bagging Plant. The system was modified again to allow discharge in bulk to road tankers while discharging to bags.
Singapore Sugar has now built a bulk facility and we are now employed on an eight year contact with seven trips per year from Mackay - Queensland, and the usual trips to Sydney in between. Sadly, the Bagging Plant is in mothballs at present.
cheers Phil

·
Registered
211 Posts
Eric Wallace

I sailed on the first Cape Rodney as a Jr Eng back in 1956.owned by the Lyle Shipping Co.our first trip was to the states,be glad to hear from Norm,Jim and anyone else who was on board then.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Derek
Hungry Hogarth were not a myth believe me.
When they ammaliginated to SSM I am told they were better.
Not when I was there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sailed on the Clyde built Cape Rodney twice - 1978 and 1979. Nice vessel and good crew. Her master was the company Comodore at the time - Captain Alex Fraser.
Refrence Hungry Hogarth .. I beleive the nickname was superflous when Scottish Ship Management took over the running of Hogarth and Lyle vessels (along with Lamberts for a time).
Both Hogarth and Lyle had been known as poor feeders thus "Hungry Hogarth" and "Lean Lyle" however during my time with Scottish Ship Management (1969 to 1980) I beleive I only did one trip where the nickname was appropriate and that was down to the Chief Steward not the Company.
Great crowd to work for .. just had our annual reunion and considering the comany is no longer in existance, the numbers attending our annual reunions bares testiment to the comradeship built up over the years by those who served on the Cape, Baron and Temple Boats.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts