Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Done three trips with SSM in the catering department, Hogarths may have been hungry but SSM WERE NOT, the food was first class and there was plenty of it, and im sure most of the SSM lads would back me up on this.
Geordie

·
Registered
262 Posts
Done three trips with SSM in the catering department, Hogarths may have been hungry but SSM WERE NOT, the food was first class and there was plenty of it, and im sure most of the SSM lads would back me up on this.
Geordie
agree with you geordie. sailed on capes grenville,nelson,sable and baron renfrew, excellent cooks and nothing hungry about ssm.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I stood by the Cape St Vincent the Rodney's sister in J Browns while she was fitting out and then went on the trials. It was around the time of the seamans' strike and the co sent me there for something to do before going off to join the Cape Rodney in Porto Maghera for a ten month trip.

Although I had done time in the ore carriers I found the New Bulkers a rude shock - hardly any time in port - I don't think I had a total of 20hrs ashore in ten months. I remember paying off in Immingham and going home by train feeling I guess like someone who has just been let out of jail.

Lyles were a good company though - bulkers were just not for me. The rest of my career at sea I now realise was a headlong flight from progress - but it caught up in the end.

·
Registered
444 Posts
They had some medium speed engines on some of their ships I cant recall the names. I never sailed with the company. They had some real disasters with them.
The boys needed good grub to keep that lot going.
A lot of the engineers were local Glasgow boys and I met them quite often.

best regards
jimmys

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re Hungry Hogarths, they got the name as poor feeders but Harrisons also had that name and were known as two of fat, one of lean because of the stripes on their funnels, in 1955 BTC didnt feed you that well either, though that could have been the Ch.Stwds fault, I remember being told on the British Gratitude at lunch that if I wanted a second helping "to bring back what you have left"
Ern Barrett

·
Registered
501 Posts
I did maiden voyage on "Cape Rodney" joining her in Govan March '76 as 1st trip catering boy and paid off in Hong Kong in August. Had a brilliant 1st trip to sea and Capt Alex Frazer was a really nice bloke...i remember when he would play the bagpipes on the bridge wing at sea and in the foc'sle store sometimes in port. I remember he liked to use his white gloves and torch on inspection days...a lack of it these day where i am currantly employed!! Also sailed on "Cape Horn" and briefly on "Baron Renfrew"

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Stevie B. I was on the Horn with you and remember the trip well. I bet that you will never forget the R/O falling over the wall off Muscat.
He was one lucky bloke that day, picking him up after almost 4 hours in the sea was fortunate for him.
Notice thay you were missing from the reunion on 10th december.
Try & make the effort next year & get Ernie along too.
Best wishes for 2009, JD

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi Stevie B. I was on the Horn with you and remember the trip well. I bet that you will never forget the R/O falling over the wall off Muscat.
He was one lucky bloke that day, picking him up after almost 4 hours in the sea was fortunate for him.
Notice thay you were missing from the reunion on 10th december.
Try & make the effort next year & get Ernie along too.
Best wishes for 2009, JD
Hi JD,Will certainly never forget that day indeed...am sure it was myself that spotted him,i think there was oil in the water which probably saved him from the sharks...have spoke about the incedent many times over the years.Had to pick up the company's new catamaran South of Spain so only arrived back home 9th Dec...not seen Ernie for about 8 or 9 years...living quietly i should think. Anyway best wishes for 2009 to you too...Stevie B.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of 4 built in 1976 for Scottish Ship Management(Lyle/Hogarth).2 had Hogarth names,BARON PENTLAND and BARON NAPIER and the other 2 were
CAPE RODNEY and CAPE ORTEGAL.
This shot was taken as CAPE RODNEY sailed on her delivery voyage in 1976.She is now a bulk sugar carrier CHL INNOVATOR.
Very similar hull lines corrugated accommodation block bulkheads other similarities to K Class General cargo ship built for UASC mid 70’s Must have been Standard designed off the shelf hull B&W 6 cyl 2 stroke M/E. 3 x 500 kw Ruston Genny’s. Multitude of Clarke Chapman deck cranes. 1 x 105 t Stulken Derrick [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Done the Cape Rodney's third crew voyage in July 77. After leaving her sister ship the Baron Napier after 6 month trip joining her in Vancouver in Oct 76 and paying off in Mar 77 Ravenna...please feel free to visit the SSM website @ www.scottishshipmanagement.com Regards Iain

Hopefully attached is the two other sister ships, the Baron's Napier and Pentland
Very similar hull lines corrugated accommodation block bulkheads other similarities to K Class General cargo ship built for UASC mid 70’s Must have been Standard designed off the shelf hull B&W 6 cyl 2 stroke M/E. 3 x 500 kw Ruston Genny’s. Multitude of Clarke Chapman deck cranes. 1 x 105 t Stulken Derrick [email protected]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sailed on, Pentland,Ortegal and Napier, all had Bratvagg cranes (spelling) if I remember correctly . The three I was on ran very well,
Andy

21 - 34 of 34 Posts