Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a call from Chrissie Macgregor to inform me of the passing of her husband E D Macgregor (92), on 17th May, and was buried at Broadford, Isle of Skye on 26th May. I sailed with ED on the Naess Endeavour and the Dunkyle. She expressed her desire for those who remembered him and sailed with him in Denholms, to be informed of the passing of yet another of the old Denholm masters.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
As always, RIP Capt. But then again, he had a good innings! Fair wind and calm seas...........
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hello Angus.

Sorry to hear of ED's passing - I sailed with him on the maiden voyage of the Naess Clipper for about 5 months in 1961/62. Fine fellow to sail with.

He was related to the Roddy MacSweens in some way.

Black Roddy is also buried in Broadford, and had I known I would have made the effort to go.

Is Chrissie his widow?

Best Regards,

Roddie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Roddy
I always knew that ED's wife Chrissie (who called me with this news) was Roddy Macsween's sister. However, it was only when i read your message that i was left i doubt as to which Roddy - as we had them both in Denholms. Maybe the Broadford connection confirms?
She also referred to her brother-in- law, who of course was A.T. Macgregor, another Denholm master. She informs me that he passed away some years ago.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hello Angus.

Now you've got me thinking.

I went to Black Roddy's funeral and met his sister, and at that time she was living in Stornoway, and I gather had been working for the NHS there for many years, so I don't think that was the one that was married to ED.

White Roddy was there too, but I just spoke to him briefly.

I knew big Alec too, he was mate on the Naess Endeavour on my first trip to sea, and I think I relieved him on the Bangkok many years later.

I have some scources I can call on, so I'll see what I can dig up.

Best Regards,

Roddie.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just back from few weeks away with the caravan and have just seen thgis notice of E D 's passing.
Sailed with him as second mate on the Dunkyle. I let him down once with being late back on board
on sailing S.Shields. I apologised to him next day and he never held it against me. A fine fellow and
as General Patton once said ' we should not mourn those who have passed away , we should be
thankful that they lived ".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts