Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Capt David Lycett

Hello Rachel,
I've just had a very chill feeling run up my spine and down again. I never sailed with your Dad, but I sailed with his brother Christopher.
It was a shock to see the name again since I know the story (being a shipmate of Christopher's).
Unfortunately I can't help you about your Dad, except to say that it was a sad and cruel way to end a career.
Bye the way, does Uncle Chris know you are looking?
Regards,
Tony Reynolds

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear Rachael,
I thought I had found my long lost shipmate, Dave (Snoddy), but alas what I had thought had happened was true and it was you, his daughter, who had posted the message. Your Dad and I served on a ship called the Ebro way back in 1967, we were appentices. I was the senior apprentice although your dad was a few years older than the rest of us due to his late apprenticeship in the Merchant Navy. I know he had started out as a Royal navy "Middy" but his pacifist nature made him change his career. I made two trips down the West Coast of South America with your Dad and great times we had down there.
I remember him so well. The captain, John Chesters (a man I admired by the way), was a strict disiplinarian and for some reason used to make fun of your dad because of the Royal Navy connection, hence the name "Snoddy" a shortened version of Snodgrash. Where he got that from I don't know. Anyway, hard but far with us as we apprentices were the backbone of his officers as there was big crew problems with the "Scouse" crew.
At the time your Dad was a staunch Libral supporter, and although I wasn't much into politics I sometimes used to wind him up about it in our free time. This often resulted in a"friendly???" free for all in one of our cabins. Although we as apprentices were very fit, your Dad was bigger and stronger the me and the usual outcome was us laughing as I begged for mercy.
We were just boys, but your dad, even then, had his principals which again, even then I admired him for.
I believe he visited my Mum while I was at sea one time but unfortunatley she didn't take his address so the conract was lost. Was he ever living in North Wales? this was the only thing she could remember and even that was probably not 100%
Memories flooding back. My email address is [email protected] if you want to speak more this way. I have a photo of us from those times, unfortunatly I am in the process of shipping out to live in Spain and all of that stuff is in storage. When I get settled and unpack I will dig it out, I reckon I know where it .
Greg Caldecott

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi Old Wimpy Seadog

Dear Rachael,
I thought I had found my long lost shipmate, Dave (Snoddy), but alas what I had thought had happened was true and it was you, his daughter, who had posted the message. Your Dad and I served on a ship called the Ebro way back in 1967, we were appentices. I was the senior apprentice although your dad was a few years older than the rest of us due to his late apprenticeship in the Merchant Navy. I know he had started out as a Royal navy "Middy" but his pacifist nature made him change his career. I made two trips down the West Coast of South America with your Dad and great times we had down there.
I remember him so well. The captain, John Chesters (a man I admired by the way), was a strict disiplinarian and for some reason used to make fun of your dad because of the Royal Navy connection, hence the name "Snoddy" a shortened version of Snodgrash. Where he got that from I don't know. Anyway, hard but far with us as we apprentices were the backbone of his officers as there was big crew problems with the "Scouse" crew.
At the time your Dad was a staunch Libral supporter, and although I wasn't much into politics I sometimes used to wind him up about it in our free time. This often resulted in a"friendly???" free for all in one of our cabins. Although we as apprentices were very fit, your Dad was bigger and stronger the me and the usual outcome was us laughing as I begged for mercy.
We were just boys, but your dad, even then, had his principals which again, even then I admired him for.
I believe he visited my Mum while I was at sea one time but unfortunatley she didn't take his address so the conract was lost. Was he ever living in North Wales? this was the only thing she could remember and even that was probably not 100%
Memories flooding back. My email address is [email protected] if you want to speak more this way. I have a photo of us from those times, unfortunatly I am in the process of shipping out to live in Spain and all of that stuff is in storage. When I get settled and unpack I will dig it out, I reckon I know where it .
Greg Caldecott
His nickname Snoddy is probably from his RN Midshipman time as they were known as Snottys Hope that may explain ?
Regards Vic..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am trying to find anyone who sailed with my Dad Captain David Lycett who was killed at sea on the Al Safaniya in 1986. Many thanks.
I sailed with David in the 80,s on the gastankers al berry ,al bida. David was chief mate and I was 2nd/chief. if you want contact please use my email address. He was a fine sailor and friend.
Hans de Haan
jdehaan&kabelfoon.nl
Poeldijk, the Netherlands

1 - 20 of 21 Posts