Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
K Hardie

Hi

Ken Hardie was my husband uncle. A very kind man and a gentleman.

Unfortunately he passed away in 1996, if I recall correctly just prior to his 81 birthday.

We now live in the house that he built and have an attic full of Ben Line Memrobila.

Regards

Shireen Fernie

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
A warm welcome Shireen to the site, plenty of ex Ben line sailors on this site, perhaps you have some photos to show us from your memorabilia.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did six trips with Ken Hardie on Bencruachan and Benalder (container ship). He was a real gentleman who treated his crews well and got their respect in return. Believe he was a harbour pilot in Singapore for a while and that would probably explain why he was such a good ship handler.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Wully,
Just home for the night !! The final 3 cruises start the morn !! Finish 14 th October, then dry dock for a few weeks !!! I should finish in November until February, it has been a long season !!
Aye Ken Hardie ~ I sailed with him fom 1966 to 1968 on the Bennevis and on the Cruachan from 1968 to 1970. He was a real gentleman.
Send my regards to all in Scrabster !!
Billy

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Ken Hardie was my husband uncle. A very kind man and a gentleman.

Unfortunately he passed away in 1996, if I recall correctly just prior to his 81 birthday.

We now live in the house that he built and have an attic full of Ben Line Memrobila.

Regards

Shireen Fernie
Sorry I have only found this recentlly. He was a great captain and pilot, I served with him on the Bennevis and Bencruachan 1966- 1970. He was an exeptional Captain, As he was a pilot out in Singapore for along time, I remember him in the Rejang River one late evening requestioning a pilot to sail as we had completed loading - The answer was NO -you cannot sail at night, but he did with the pilot flaber ghasted on the bridge as we only had a war time radar on board and an old Armour Brown gyro. I have many more stories about him. Great man.
Regards Billy

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Billy.
I never sailed with Ken Hardie but through the grapevine I heard of his abilities as ship master and also his qualities as a human being that made him so popular among his crews.
By the way what is the crack about a cruise ship,You,re not the guy that goes in and out of Invergordon on those big cruise boats Lol!!!!!
Or thinking the other way would you be aboard a certain little cruise ship with
Neil McKee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts