Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am researching the life and career of Captain Eric John Lougheed (1901-1975). He makes a couple of appearances in Sea Hazard, firstly as Chief Officer of the ill-fated Beacon Grange (2) of 1938 when she was torpedoed in 1941, and secondly as Master of the Baronesa at Malta in 1944, and he is mentioned several times in the archives here. I would be delighted to hear any anecdotes or memories anyone may have of him, and/or to see photographs. Can you help?

ATB
Mike

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Hi Mike,
He has a CR 10 card held in the Fourth Register of Seamen which shows his photo as a young apprentice.
He was serving aboard CAPE TRANSPORT from November 1919 to 30.4.1920. He has a WW1 and WW2 medal file held at Kew which can both be downloaded for free if you sign in to the site.

BT 351/1/83916 for WW1

BT 395/1/58021 for WW2

He should also have a CRS 10 - service record - beginning Jan 1941 until leaving the service. It should be held at Kew in piece BT 382/1034
This file is best obtained by visit to Kew or via a researcher. Also he should have some records in Lloyd's Captains Register which is held at the London Metropolitan Archives.
If you would like the card with photo pass me your email by private conversation and I will be happy to send it on to you.
Regards
Hugh

Reactions: mikehm

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hello Mike
BARONESA, Official number 140583 Arrived Malta 2/2/1944 and sailed 11/2/44. Her 1944 crew agreements and logbooks are available from TNA Kew
BEACON GRANGE O/N 166436 Her last logbook and Crew agreement seems to have been lost or destroyed
Her official Survivors report should be at Kew in ADM 199/2133 page 246a
You probably have this. Some details from uboat.net

regards
Roger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, Roger and Hugh.

I should probably have explained in more detail what I have already done.

Lougheed actually has two CR10 cards with photographs, and I have downloaded these. I have also downloaded copies of his BT351 and BT395 index cards, his entries in the 1911 Census, the 1939 Register, the Electoral Roll, and the Plymouth Telephone Directory, and searched the British Newspaper Archives, finding only the story of a "former minor canon of Ely Cathedral" who had worked his passage home from South Africa in 1945 as a Steward on the Baronesa. I have his entry in the Death Register and a copy of his burial record. I have trawled the web, and found rather a nice picture taken on the Condesa in early 1960 showing "Mr James Wiles, grandson of Mrs Houlder and a great grandson of the founder of the Houlder Line; Captain Lougheed; Mrs Houlder, Mr R. Dossor, chairman of the Marlborough Harbour Board" in the archives of the Marlborough Express, which can be seen here: Negative, Photographic : 2016.027.2112

I have asked my researcher, Kevin Asplin, to dig out Lougheed's pouch from BT382 (although the NA is not currently permitting access to these as part of its strict anti-COVID procedures), and the Beacon Grange survivors' reports from ADM199. The NA also holds a microfilm copy of Lloyd's Captains' Register, and that is on Kevin's To Do List as well.

As you suspected, I had seen the uboat.net entry for the Beacon Grange. In fact, I noticed that their records of those who survived the sinking were inaccurate, and I sent them a copy of the list of officers on board at the time of the sinking from Sea Hazard.

I had not, however, thought to look at the Crew Agreements and Logbooks, so I am indebted to you for checking what is available, and for providing the link for the Baronesa.

ATB,
Mike

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
No worries Mike, the other CR 10 was issued due to a change of his RS2 number.
Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
Houlder Bros cargo ships,tankers and offshore.
132 Posts
Hello sailed on Houlder Bros. Hardwicke Grange--refrigerator ship--Falmouth--Buenos Aires--London--Falmouth late 1966. Capt. Loughheed was Master and I believe "Houlders Commodore" as HG was "flagship" for Houlders. Recall nice ship --good feeder-- and occasional meeting with Capt. Lougheed as a "gentleman" Just recall deepsea early mornings he would have me throwing the medicine ball to him--over the No.4 starboard derrick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts