Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CAPTAIN SR GARRATT M.N. Sydney Robert Died 16th October 2019 in the Royal Preston hospital. A loving Husband of Pat, Brother of Ailsa and Phil and Uncle. Funeral service will be held at Beetham Hall Crematorium at 2.00pm on Monday 11th November.

One of the best men I have ever known.

Fair winds.

S2182

·
Registered
37 Posts
Captain Syd Garratt

I am sure I sailed with him on the Spey in 84 on the Oz Fiji NZ run

His wife ran a guest house I believe

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I came across Syd Garratt in 2003, he was a 1961 BP Tanker Co Navigating Apprentice.
Here is a little of his career that I could find,

Photo 7/78 FN( Fleet News),
Loyalty NA 4/62, Seafarer NA62/63(JP61), Resource NA 63, Guardsman NA 6/63, Sovereign NA 1/11/64,

2nd Mate Cert 64/66,

Osprey CO 4/73, Pride CO 9/80, Willow 4/82 (JEP)

Master Vic Bilh 12/82. Master Spey 9/84. Willow 6/82. Located 2003

His fellow Navigating Apprentice on the Loyalty was PSA Williams, who is now extremely deaf and living in Surrey. Peter sailed as Master out of Vancouver with Teekay. I'll let him know of Syd's passing
Graham

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Graham
While I didn't know Captain Garratt, I'm sorry to hear of Captain Williams loss of hearing. Let him know that I'm having the same problem with my hearing but apparently not as bad as his.
Wally

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Graham
While I didn't know Captain Garratt, I'm sorry to hear of Captain Williams loss of hearing. Let him know that I'm having the same problem with my hearing but apparently not as bad as his.
Wally
Wally, I did that for you, he mentioned your nickname (beginning with C) on the large piece of land you had further North from where you are now.

Graham

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Many thanks Graham.
Very much appreciated.
I have just remembered, Peter said he thought Syd's father was a BP Master.

I have a December 1955 issue of BP Masters and Chief Engineers at sea, there are four Williams listed, JO, RT, EP and JN.
It would be a bit of a coincidence if it were JO Williams, he was Master on the Justice in 1959 when I was a second trip EA

Graham

1 - 10 of 10 Posts