Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I never at any time enjoyed doing the Masters inspections but it was a requirement off the company. Mainly to see their property was being cared for and no unauthorized fitting or electrical equipment installed.
I even remember when there had to be an entry in the official log book 'anti scabotics issued"( to stop scurvy) that was the BOT lime juice which was kept in the bonded locker as it had alcohol
I remember getting lime juice as an unsweetened concentrated light brown liquid, it was incredibly refreshing with a very weak concentrations. One bottle to an Olympic swimming pool, I would think.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I remember getting lime juice as an unsweetened concentrated light brown liquid, it was incredibly refreshing with a very weak concentrations. One bottle to an Olympic swimming pool, I would think.
A splash of that and some raw sugar (from the cargo) and a large tot of the famous elixir Four Bells Rum and you had a wonderful refreshing bevy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
No wonder some of these characters had a hard time when They finally came ashore..... Captains and Chief Officers doing Engine Room inspections?? Jesus!!During My years I sailed with a couple of Chief Engineers who DIDN·T know where the Engine WAS!! Well You know what I mean, and good blokes They were too!They KNEW exactly what was going on .One of Them had a chat with the Second, And Me, and the freezer, EVERY morning at 8 oclock in His office, Perfect.Advice given and received, He then went back to typing His Memoirs.During a 4month voyage I think We saw him in theE/R Twice , once after a slight collision wih the dock .. on a very windy night in Marseille , and once when the Lads were pulling a unit.He used to say it was "TOO bloody noisy down there for Me"And I think He meant IT. The OM: an d the C:O: would never have got in to do an inspection.And regulations apart I don·t remember Him taking part in any Sunday inspections, HE was a 6ft 4 EX R:N: Eng Commadore and one of the RN last" hard hat" Divers ......Lovely Bloke!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Usually these took place once a week, I remember the ritual of cleaning the fridges the night before and getting a bottle of rum, not forgetting overtime. Does anyone have any memories of these inspections, I remember a certain Captain (can,t remember his name) in Houlders who insisted the toilet rolls hung outwards!!!
Its got to be the same Master I sailed with on the Beauval, my DB was lost years ago,so I can't remember his name either.He was a bit of a kleptomaniac and even after inspecting Chippy's locker the 2nd Steward would return a screwdriver or a chisel or even a handful of nails!Other than that he was quite harmless!

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
No wonder some of these characters had a hard time when They finally came ashore..... Captains and Chief Officers doing Engine Room inspections?? Jesus!!During My years I sailed with a couple of Chief Engineers who DIDN·T know where the Engine WAS!! Well You know what I mean, and good blokes They were too!They KNEW exactly what was going on .One of Them had a chat with the Second, And Me, and the freezer, EVERY morning at 8 oclock in His office, Perfect.Advice given and received, He then went back to typing His Memoirs.During a 4month voyage I think We saw him in theE/R Twice , once after a slight collision wih the dock .. on a very windy night in Marseille , and once when the Lads were pulling a unit.He used to say it was "TOO bloody noisy down there for Me"And I think He meant IT. The OM: an d the C:O: would never have got in to do an inspection.And regulations apart I don·t remember Him taking part in any Sunday inspections, HE was a 6ft 4 EX R:N: Eng Commadore and one of the RN last" hard hat" Divers ......Lovely Bloke!
One C/E, who only made brief appearances when STBY was rung, decided during BoT games to have a "fire" in the engine room and simulate smoke by turning the lights off.

Now, the way into the control room was directl fwd from the lift in the accom internal ladder well which accessed all decks. Left, was the pressure lock for the ER. Access to the top plates was by one of two doors at either end of the main control panel. Outside the doors ran a pipe which the engineers knew to duck under as they went out.

Well, C/E in ER, lights turned off and, brandishing his brand new torch, he led the way to "fight fire". Luckily he had a safety helmet on: Yes, straight into the pipe he went! The 2/E just said "get the bluddy lights on!". The drill was then changed to medevac of inhured crewmember from ER.

Although the C/E continued to make his rare appearances, never again did I see him exit the CR to the topplates! Lift/CR/Lift was the rule!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
278 Posts
One C/E, who only made brief appearances when STBY was rung, decided during BoT games to have a "fire" in the engine room and simulate smoke by turning the lights off.

Now, the way into the control room was directl fwd from the lift in the accom internal ladder well which accessed all decks. Left, was the pressure lock for the ER. Access to the top plates was by one of two doors at either end of the main control panel. Outside the doors ran a pipe which the engineers knew to duck under as they went out.

Well, C/E in ER, lights turned off and, brandishing his brand new torch, he led the way to "fight fire". Luckily he had a safety helmet on: Yes, straight into the pipe he went! The 2/E just said "get the bluddy lights on!". The drill was then changed to medevac of inhured crewmember from ER.

Although the C/E continued to make his rare appearances, never again did I see him exit the CR to the topplates! Lift/CR/Lift was the rule!

Rgds.
Dave
On long standby somewhere, all manual operation, Harland and Wolff engine, I was junior, when phone went - I answered and chief asked if second wanted a meal relief to which sec said yes please. Reply was call one of the thirds!!
Dannic

·
Registered
3,517 Posts

Rgds.
Dave
WE had a Chief Engineer in Bank Line who, desperate to be in charge of a fire, wrapped rags round a weeping HP fuel joint on the fuel pumps. Eventually his dream was fulfilled!!

The same man requested that the crank case doors be removed at full speed - because he thought he could hear a banging from within.

I learned a lot from him, principally how not to be a Chief Engineer!!

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
WE had a Chief Engineer in Bank Line who, desperate to be in charge of a fire, wrapped rags round a weeping HP fuel joint on the fuel pumps. Eventually his dream was fulfilled!!

The same man requested that the crank case doors be removed at full speed - because he thought he could hear a banging from within.

Holy Cow! Duncan! They walk among us and breed!
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dad, Captain Bill Pascoe, was a stickler for hygiene. One time he was on the Sunday rounds, inspecting the toilet next to the saloon pantry. "There's no soap or towel in this bathroom. Get some in here immediately!" - and the steward told someone to get them because "This captain wants people to wash their hands after they use the toilet." Which incensed my dad because the steward just didn't get the point. Just thought it was yet another of the Old Man's quirks.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Same Chief who opened the CO2 valve into the engine room on the Meadowbank just as I was about to start fighting the fire in No. 4 Lower Hold?
On being told by wee me to shut the ******* thing his answer was "Lets all calm down and act professionaly"
Think he retired to his cabin for a beer whilst the 3rd engineer bemoaned the fact he actually had to fight a fire ! I do recall you puting him right Duncan.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Same Chief who opened the CO2 valve into the engine room on the Meadowbank just as I was about to start fighting the fire in No. 4 Lower Hold?
On being told by wee me to shut the ******* thing his answer was "Lets all calm down and act professionaly"
Think he retired to his cabin for a beer whilst the 3rd engineer bemoaned the fact he actually had to fight a fire ! I do recall you putting him right Duncan.
Not him, I'll PM you with the identity, this man was far more dangerous in that he came downstairs and fiddled!!

As an aside about the CO2 flooding one thing I learned is that the first indication you get down the ER when bulk CO2 is being applied (remember the lorry and hose to the manifold?) and the pressure switgh alarm bypassed is that the paint falls off the pipes as they contract due to the cold?

Two companies further on, I was Chief on one vessel about 12 hours from Long Beach and the fire alarm went off, wandered downstairs to find the reefer switchboard well ablaze and my troops about to use a hose on it. Told them this was not a good idea and got the CO2 hand helds out. The smoke was thick so I asked the Old Man to send a BA party down, 3/O arrives with BA set in hand says "There you are Chief" and buggers off. You couldn't make it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sailed on the STS Leeuwin with Capt Chris Blake brilliant square rig capt, we carried up to forty young people, Capt's round was always interesting, his party trick was to go into the toilets in the trainee accom. put reach his hand into a previously well-cleaned toilet bowl and pronounce it to be clean enough. Brought a lot of the kids undone !

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
“In the old days” when there was only a plunger or caustic available, or a trip over the side to clear the flapper valve. The old man would find on his inspection the odd blocked toilet, usually, after a lengthy stay in port, that the shareholders responsible would leave as is, ‘because !!’. The standard reply to that would be – ‘it’s only chewed bread’ – ‘get your hand in and clear it’ – or the alternative when next in port.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha, talking about inspections, how many remember the 'The Short Arm' inspections carried out by the Port Doctor in Wellington, normally done on the Boat Deck on return from a trip from overseas. This inspection was being done in the late 50's as I remember.
Ewen

121 - 134 of 134 Posts