Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cargo ship aground off so.africa ahas been posted on here a number of times,i have just read a report that there was more containers on board than first thought
the article states ,there were 595 containers on board,slightly more than the original estimate of 581,14 containers might not seem a lot but there must of been a loading plan showing how many containers were on board when she sailed?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, but not that many surely?, Five hundred and eighty one thousand and fourteen? Comma misplaced? Gotta be.

581 plus 14 does make 595 though. Hmmmm.....My Sunday mystery. My first pint is gonna choke me trying to figure this one out.

I knew I was right all along. Ever since they brought those container ships out. Too confusing. Men lose count. A wooden crate full of bikes O.K, but a container is just another container.
Bring back the proper ships, with their derricks and canvas covered hatches with uncovered mixed cargo down below. Steam winches and spirit compasses and sextants.
Officers who took the ships across with no aids other than the sun and stars.
Crews whose sole aim was getting pissed and bagging off.

Don't know what to think of this sanitized seagoing these days. (Night)

Oh-oh, now I'm gonna get it.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I would think the mate onboard would know exactly how many boxes were onboard but maybe the office were not too sure, I remember when I was mate on a small container ship, containers kept arriving right up to it was time to sail so the office would have no idea of the exact number onboard until after we sailed and on some occasions not until we arrived at our next port. Many times containers would arrive just to late and be left on the quay till another trip.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
But surely....

Let's hope someone knows exactly how many are on board....and more important (taking the Oz debacle last month into account) what is in the things.! (Night)

·
Registered
723 Posts
gone but not forgotten

oldbosun said:
Yeah, but not that many surely?, Five hundred and eighty one thousand and fourteen? Comma misplaced? Gotta be.

581 plus 14 does make 595 though. Hmmmm.....My Sunday mystery. My first pint is gonna choke me trying to figure this one out.

I knew I was right all along. Ever since they brought those container ships out. Too confusing. Men lose count. A wooden crate full of bikes O.K, but a container is just another container.
Bring back the proper ships, with their derricks and canvas covered hatches with uncovered mixed cargo down below. Steam winches and spirit compasses and sextants.
Officers who took the ships across with no aids other than the sun and stars.
Crews whose sole aim was getting pissed and bagging off.

Don't know what to think of this sanitized seagoing these days. (Night)

Oh-oh, now I'm gonna get it.
Oh for the days of the fid and the marline spike and kolza oil, If I was dead I'd be turning in my grave now Tell

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dom

your right,commer misplaced, 581 containers,plus 14
me,never counted them, only lashed them.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Loved your comments 'Oldbosun' - encapsulates the ships I sailed on exactly.

Well, maybe not exactly - the officers were also looking to have a few drinks and make lucky, even if they had to pay for it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts