Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for Cargo Liners that would of ported in Baltimore, MD in the 1950s or 1960s. I am building a model railroad that includes one of the Baltimore Ports. Would like to include a 1:48 scale model preferably less then 500 feet in length. The Baltimore Mail Line's four ships would have been ideal but that were all mothballed in 46 and scraped in 57. Also the Grace Lines and the various fruit haulers but can't seem to fine any that ported in Baltimore or even stopped in Baltimore. Last resort, I will use modelers license and build something I like the looks of.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I made three trips around the world on the SS President Jackson, a converted Mariner class ship. We would routinely call in Baltimore every trip during the "loop". Sailing west bound across the Atlantic, we'd initially call in New York (Newark, NJ), then transit the Cape Cod canal to Boston, then south to Norfolk, Baltimore, transit the C&D canal to Philadelphia, and then back to Newark to load out before continuing south to Panama and up to LA and San Francisco.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wallace, thanks for the information. About what year(s) did you make these trips? Also was this ship a APA-18 class or a C4-S-1 built in 1953 and owned by American President Lines?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have you worked out the length of a 500' ship in 1;48 scale?

A C3 type in US N gauge (1;160) is 37" long.......according to me, a ship of the length and scale you propose is about 10.4' long! Mind you, that would be a heck of a model if you do build it.

This is a link to a US N gauge version;

C3 Break Bulk Freighter Beavercove in N | N Scale Ships

Martyn (ex seafearer, now modelling ships in UK N gauge or thereabouts, 1;148)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have worked out the length and width based on O Scale which is 1:48. As a result I have found it is bigger than the room I have for a dock on my model railroad.

So now I have decided to instead build a model of another Cargo Liner, the MS Polarlys. It carried 174 passengers plus cargo. It is 265 feet long which works out to be 66-1/4 inch in O Scale. My dock space for the port of Baltimore on my layout is 72 inches long. I also have another dock at the site of an Amusement Park which will hold the SS District of Columbia a steam boat of the era that visited Baltimore every other day. It will haul passengers from downtown to the park.

So now I have to find or create a plan for the hull of the MS Polarlys for my water level model. I have full plans for the steam boat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That must be one heck of a model railway!

Best of luck with future plans.

Martyn, modelling British N scale railways (and ships).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is in my basement and is 30 x 60 feet. So yes pretty large even for layouts in the US. I have 3-4 retired guys helping once a week. If you are on Facebook, check out Jay Beckhams O Scale Layout. One of my helpers posts photos there once a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for Cargo Liners that would of ported in Baltimore, MD in the 1950s or 1960s. I am building a model railroad that includes one of the Baltimore Ports. Would like to include a 1:48 scale model preferably less then 500 feet in length. The Baltimore Mail Line's four ships would have been ideal but that were all mothballed in 46 and scraped in 57. Also the Grace Lines and the various fruit haulers but can't seem to fine any that ported in Baltimore or even stopped in Baltimore. Last resort, I will use modelers license and build something I like the looks of.
My uncle served as Oiler on the SS Georges Fribourg which plied between Baltimore and South America in the 1950s. One record I have shows him arriving in Baltimore on that ship from Rio de Janeiro on 24th April 1956. The ship then left for Vitoria Brazil returning to Baltimore in July. Your project sounds great. Good luck with it - Gary

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HI GaryK
Tried to find a photo of her but couldn't. What type of ship was she? Any idea about size?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Jay, She was originally named Oakley Wood. Go to www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87745/title/oakley-wood/cat/510

Built as a Liberty Ship in 1944 also name Keystone State at one stage, sold in 1955 to United Steamship Corp Panama and renamed Georges Fribourg.

Good Luck - Gary
I'm sorry - that link doesn't seem to work now. I found the attached image from the Gallery but that was some time ago. If you search on the old name it might come up.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I made several trips on the Marengo in 1958, sailing from Hull to various ports on the Eastern Seaboard of the US. At least one of those trips included Baltimore.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts