Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
nigelcollett said:
Can anybody help with the subsequent history of the following five colliers all of which were still in service in 1984.

Sir Johnstone Wright (3382g/1952)
Castle Point (5628g/1965) Ex Hudson Light
Dolphin Point (4850g/1965 Ex Corcester
Fort Point (4396g/1698) Ex Dunvegan Head
Beacon Point (4440g/1969) Ex Duncansby Head

Tks in advance

NigelC
Ahoy Nigel,
Bought me a "few" colliers,(*)) all made by © A.Duncan, so all credits/courtesy to him.
Here you are:

Attachments

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Nigel,
Bought me a "few" colliers,(*)) all made by © A.Duncan, so all credits/courtesy to him, and like to share these.
Here you are:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did somebody mention Genever ? fred's favourite, have a glass or three at regular intevals. If I go over to Brussels or Strasbourg again this year I'll fill up as usual.
Love it with the lemon, keep it in the freezer !

fred

" I see your glass is empty- I'll just away and wash it "

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
fredkinghorn said:
Did somebody mention Genever ? fred's favourite, have a glass or three at regular intevals. If I go over to Brussels or Strasbourg again this year I'll fill up as usual.
Love it with the lemon, keep it in the freezer !

fred

" I see your glass is empty- I'll just away and wash it "
Ahoy Fred,
Mine's too, daily consumer, 'a borrel[shot/nip] a day keeps the doctor away' uses as a nightcap.[icecold]

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Colliers

The names of these point ships bring back memorys for me, as the majority all came into Blyth, many a time I was aboard the tug Maximus swinging these up west to berth at Bates Staithes.
Can any one remember the Hudson Light and Rogate, did these become Point boats under charter to the CEGB.
I can remember two green painted colliers coming into Blyth during the 70's and 80,s on a regular basis, sisters they could have been, one was called Ferryhill if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would the master have been Jimmy Grant...? I was the agent at Ipswich for these vessels and the Duncansby Head was his regular command , the Dunvegan Head 's being Hughie Mackay, then later Arthur Alvis. All quite different characters but really good guys from my viewpoint. Jimmy was well past normal retiring age, and I spent an Easter weekend with the vessel in 71 when I was at a loose end and she was heading out from Cliff Quay power station in Ipswich for Blyth. Unfortunately, the Bates Colliery berth at Blyth was occupied by Captain J M Donaldson so we had to moor on a lay by outside Hughes Bolckows scrapyard. Actually ended up with a lift back South on the Donaldson to West Thurrock with Capt Tommy Purvis, & c/o later master, Gordon Williamson ...another two good guys. Nice way to spend the weekend.

Cheers, Ron

·
Registered
231 Posts
Micky
Crusader Point built 1980 (launched as Beate)
Converted to L.P.G tanker 87
Renamed Olefine Gas
Chem Olefine 90
Norgas Traveller 91 (still listed in Equasis)
Cheers
Spartan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Ron

I remember Captain Alvis. A very nice man and I came across him when he was master of the Cantick Head. I could be wrong but I think he brought her out new. Often loaded in Blyth with domestic coal for Corals on the South coast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sir Johnstone Wright

Miramar site now reports her fate... was broken up as FANIS between 14/12/84 to 15/2/85 at Aspropyrgos, which believe is Piraeus.

Regards
Ron

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Nigel, Their were 3 CEGB Ships mothballed in Harlepool. Two were the Dolphin Point & the English Point.I was so strapped for cash I started work on them on New years Day! We refurbished them as they were bought by Italians Crewed by Hungarians. Biggest problem was condensation, We had to dry every motor out. One was built on the Tyne originally called the Hudson Bay Trader, I have a photograph of her on her maiden voyage. I also have the Brass engineroom plaque. They all sailed and I never heard about them again till now. I do remember their new flag- which was ying and yang! Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Hi Nigel, Their were 3 CEGB Ships mothballed in Harlepool. Two were the Dolphin Point & the English Point.I was so strapped for cash I started work on them on New years Day! We refurbished them as they were bought by Italians Crewed by Hungarians. Biggest problem was condensation, We had to dry every motor out. One was built on the Tyne originally called the Hudson Bay Trader, I have a photograph of her on her maiden voyage. I also have the Brass engineroom plaque. They all sailed and I never heard about them again till now. I do remember their new flag- which was ying and yang! Hope this helps
DOLPHIN POINT was ex CORCHESTER and in 1987 was sold as CORA
CASTLE POINT was ex HUDSON LIGHT and in 1987 was sold as SONIA I

FORT POINT was ex DUNCANSBY HEAD or DUNVEGAN HEAD
BEACON POINT was ex DUNCANSBY HEAD or DUNVEGAN HEAD

Other POINT named vessels were later added but no record of an ENGLISH POINT

CRUSADER POINT and at least one other the name of which escapes me at present

21 - 40 of 52 Posts