Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Does anybody have any photos of Chakla? There is lots of stuff about the built for BI shoips, but little about Jelunga and Chakla?

Keith.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Keith,
Chakla was not built for BI and she was not one of the standard BI C class, I think she was built for Ropners originally.
The Jelunga was built for the New Zealand Shjipping Co/Federal and later aquired by BI. I am not sure about former names, but I'm sure someone here will know!

regards
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I think her earlier name was Swiftpool. But she certainly was not swift when I was on her in the early 70's.

Keith

·
Registered
954 Posts
Keith,
Chakla built as Swiftpool for Pool Shipping (Ropners) 1954, Jelunga buiult as Middlesex for Federal Steam Navigation Co. Try BI ship.com for any other info.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keith,
What do you need to know about the Jelunga? She was the first ship I went deep sea on - some good memories from Australia on her.
James.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jelunga

Thanks James. You must be the same James on the BI Ships Group and Engineers section secretary thingy?

Jelunga was my first ship in BI, joined at Newcastle and left at KG V dry dock in London. Not enough lifeboat capacity I was told. Pity, I found her quite interesting with the engine configuration and the magnetic clutches. This must have been 1971 approx. Will check my discharge book and notes.
Were you on at the time?

Keith
Chota sahib

·
Registered
401 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts