Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Dutch "kustvaartforum" is a question about Chant tankers. I know Everard sailed with them. During the late sixties I had often to work on them when they where at the pier of the 'Nieuwe Matex" Vlaardingen. Floating coffins we used to call them. Because I cann't find back much about Everard, I hope someone can help with photo's and/or further info.
greatings
Jan van der Pluijm

·
Registered
106 Posts
chant

new to this so bear with me, all i can tell you about the chants is the fact that my father, a sea going cook from 1928-1968 was in the chant 22 in world war 2, or shortly after, and was the only vessel that made him constantly sea-sick!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Chant

There were 43 Chants (Channel Tanker) built, all in 1944.
Details: 142ft bp (148ft oa) x 27ft. 400 tdw. Oil engines. 7.5 knots.
I don't know that Everard had many. My old Empire Ships book shows Chant 27 becoming Auspicity in 1955, that's the only Everard name.
regards,
Alex

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,

Here the Auspicity ex Chant 27-Frans;

Averity ex Chant 53-Theodora

http://www.1250ships.com/models/wirral/images/wms11_wl_expand.jpg

F.T. Everard & Sons have compiled an "Everard Dictionary". The following extract is taken from this dictionary. FIRMITY-Strength-solidity, FIXITY-Fixed-state, FESTIVITY-Gaiety-joyfulness, FORMALITY-Observance of form, FORTUNITY-Happiness, FRIVOLITY -Acts or habits of trifling, AUSPICITY-Auspice, AVERITY-Aver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shell Singapore had Two Chants in the Far East Fleet ...The Seladang ..chant 65 and the Rusa ..chant 43 Master ..2 Mates and an Engineer plus plus 14 Chinese crew ..I was on the Seladang for 12 months as 2nd Mate sailing around Indonesia in 1958 and wondering what i was doing out there !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Everards Chants.

Ahoy There.
A few more Everard Chants. Futurity (Emp Fanal). Fluidity (Emp Fame). Formality (Emp Favourite). Flexity (Emp Facility). Frivolity (Emp Fashion). Ken.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
ruud said:
Ahoy,

Here the Auspicity ex Chant 27-Frans;

Averity ex Chant 53-Theodora

http://www.1250ships.com/models/wirral/images/wms11_wl_expand.jpg

F.T. Everard & Sons have compiled an "Everard Dictionary". The following extract is taken from this dictionary. FIRMITY-Strength-solidity, FIXITY-Fixed-state, FESTIVITY-Gaiety-joyfulness, FORMALITY-Observance of form, FORTUNITY-Happiness, FRIVOLITY -Acts or habits of trifling, AUSPICITY-Auspice, AVERITY-Aver.

You forgot the "Leftitty" and the "Rightitty"

·
Registered
5,898 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
KenLin39 said:
Ahoy There.
A few more Everard Chants. Futurity (Emp Fanal). Fluidity (Emp Fame). Formality (Emp Favourite). Flexity (Emp Facility). Frivolity (Emp Fashion). Ken.
These were actually all Empire F Class dry cargo coasters and not CHANT tankers. However they had the same dimensions, deadweight and speed as the CHANTs; that's real standardisation!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Chants

(*)) Does anybody remember Capt. Griffin's Chant Tanker 'Farringay',[ex 'empire Farringay'] she was a regular trader around the UK Coast in the 1950s and 1960s. Her hull, superstructure and masts were painted black,[not much cutting in to do]. I believe the ships operation was very much a family affair.
Bruce.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Chants, Correction

I mistakenly said that the 'Farringay' was a tanker, she was not. I remember
her well, in the china clay ports of the west country and other parts of the coast, obviously a dry cargo vessel. Sorry for the blip.
Bruce. (*))

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I joined Everards in 1958-59. I spent my first two day aboard a chant on buoys at Greenhithe.Just two of us aboard.There were two along side each other, ca'nt remember if they were Tankers or Cargo. Third day I was sent to the Argosity Tanker. I was on her forabout nine months. Do'es anyone Know why the Argosity is not mentioned on any ship lists. Not even on Everards own list. Barney

·
Banned
38 Posts
I seem to re-collect that a good few years ago now one of the Chants was purchased by an Owner/Master from Canada. I believe she went across the big pond and traded on the Great Lakes. Can anyone confirm this please? (Read)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Chants

Peter,
Yes I believe at least five Chants ended up on the St. Lawrence river, the 'Fermont' was one most notable, a fascinating story about the varied career of this little ship can be Googled under the title 'Empire Farringay'. I found this information quite by chance this morning while looking for something else.
Briefly, the ship was launched in 1944 as the 'Empire Fathom' and purchased by Hullgates in 1946 and renamed 'Fosdyke Trader' and later that year sold to Great Yarmouth Shipping Co.
In 1961 the ship was sold to a Canadian Co. for work in the St Lawrence River and was renamed 'Fort Carillon', she had a further name change in 1972 to the 'Janolyne' before becoming the 'Fermont in 1975.
The various hapenings between 1975 and the time that she ran aground off 'Seal Island' Nova Scotia in the 1990s are too numerous to recount here, but make very good reading.
I found also that the 'Farringay', which I inquired about yesterday was sold to Spanish ship breakers as the 'Claire' in 1981. One interesting snippet of information, the 'Farringay' carried the last last cargo of coal to leave Cardiff Docks, 25th. August 1964.
Bruce

·
Banned
38 Posts
Bruce
Thank you very much for that, I am pleased that my memory didn't fail me! Just one other little interesting point, why did Everards always seem to insist on painting the square sterns a shade of bright sky blue?

·
Registered
68 Posts
In addition to Everards operating Chants Rowbothams old Leadsman was also a Chant. She was the Chant 11 launched in Hessle by Henry Scarr Ltd in 1944. Operated by Rowbothams as Leadsman form 1951 to 1962. She was broken up in Spain in 1974.

·
Registered
24 Posts
R736476 said:
There were 43 Chants (Channel Tanker) built, all in 1944.
Details: 142ft bp (148ft oa) x 27ft. 400 tdw. Oil engines. 7.5 knots.
I don't know that Everard had many. My old Empire Ships book shows Chant 27 becoming Auspicity in 1955, that's the only Everard name.
regards,
Alex
can't be positive,but wasn't everards "mv grit" a chant.
ian

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Chants

Ian,
There have been seven Everard ships named 'Grit', to my knowledge none of them were Chants.
Bruce (*))

1 - 20 of 37 Posts