Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Does anybody have any details/history/pics of Chapman & Willan's BRIGHTON 6073grt built in 1960

Thanks in advance

Regards

NigelC

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Ciao
Built Short Brothers Ltd,Sunderland,for C.& W.ltd Newcastle Upon-The-Tyne
6,073 g.t. 11,000 d.w. 476.2 ft l.o.a-60,25 ft Breadth-25,95 ft draught,3 cyl,Doxford diesel by N.E.M,3,150 b.h.p. 11 knots. (Thumb)
Gp

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Addition :BRIGHTON -70-KAPTAYANNI-73-MAREANTES-75-LOUKIA-76 and finnally MELPO ,laid up in 1980 i suppose scrapped few time after. (*))
Gp

·
Registered
683 Posts
addition info on Chapmans who started a new build program at Shorts Sunderland in 1955 the first two delivered was the Lynton & Scorton, 1957 followed by the Grainton in 1958. then came the Amberton & Norton in 1959, and the last two was the Clearton & Brighton in 1960 the ships known as the severn sisters, I sailed in the Lynton and Clearton I done 16 month trip on lynton & 4 month trip on the Clearton, I also done 13 months on the Ingleton in 1958/9. all the sister were practically identical cheers Seemore.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
"Brighton"was in the news in 1961. When Shaw Savill's "Runic" was wrecked on Middleton Reef on 19 February the "Brighton"stood by until salvage tugs arrived. She then went on her merry way, the remains of the "Runic" are still there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dave

that was how my interest in her commenced from her involvement with the Runic

Thanks

Regards

NigelC

·
Registered
231 Posts
Following on from above info
Sold in 81 renamed Despoula k. (Greece)
Wrecked 2.9.81 14 miles off Monrovia in position 06.30N.10.57W. after breaking adrift in heavy seas whilst bound in tow from Monrovia to Yugoslavia where she was to be broken up.
Taken from the book Chapmans Of Newcastle by John Lingwood & Harold Appleyard
Cheers
Spartan.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi John

Sorry can't help you there although there is propably one in the book Spartan mentioned, the ISBN no. 0905617355.

Regards

NigelC

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi John,
There is a photo of the GRAINTON in the book Chapman of Newcastle with the following information
Renamed
LA BAHIA May 57
SAN JOHN in 61 (Lebanon flag) On the 4th October that year she stranded 20 miles N.W.of Churchill on voyage from Tyne to Churchill declared a C.T.L.She was however repaired an renamed LEDRA in 65.Wrecked on the 11th November 67 on voyage from Madras to Poland.
Cheers
Spartan

·
Registered
164 Posts
Chapman&Willan Brighton

Sailed as 2/Eng on the Brighton Aug 67 to April 68. Prior to that I coasted the Ingleton(ex Thisle Line) and the Amberton.

Brighton was typical 3 cyl Doxford not built for speed but kept going. Chapmans had a poor reputation however after coasting the Amberton they agreed to pay me at collage for 6 weeks to complete 2nds ticket, which I passed. Joined the Brighton with new 2nds ticket and the Chief was most upset as he lost his bonus for sailing with dispensation second. They had a Superintendent called Coates, a great guy, I met up with him in later life when I was working ashore. he was one of the old school.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Seemore
I sailed on the Lynton from June 1970 until December 1970. I joined her in Antwerp from the London pool office. Not many from the London pool had heard of her but they said Chapmans had a bad reputation.I was a bit shocked when I arrived at the ship side as I had been led to beleive she was a modern ship with all the luxuries such as a crew bar and air conditioning. Still I was given the oppurtunity by the skipper to return home if I wished but as I was skint at the time I signed on.She was a rough old ship but I remember a few good times.I have a photo somewhere I will dig it out and post it on the forum.
Roy.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts