Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a Chevron Cadet in the mid nineties. Does anybody know what happened to most of their vessels, especially George H Weyerhaeuser, Carla Hills, R Hal Dean, and Charles B Renfrew? I think they were got rid of on the merger with Texaco. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
Hi Moaf - I was 3rd and 2nd Mate with Chevron Tankship UK in 1975-78. On Feluy, Burnaby and EH Wasson. See in your profile that kids got in the way of your long trips. Funnily enough that was why I left Chevron to come ashore in 1978! My old Chevron ships have all gone I think. Strange, when I was on them they were only a few years old! I shall be interested to read about developments from Chevron although I see as above that they have taken over texaco. See my pic of Chevron Burnaby in tanker gallery??

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good photo! I was on the newer lightering ships in Pascagoula. There was talk of merging with Texaco when I was there. Chevron couldn't compete with Exxon-Mobil or BP-Amoco as they were so big so the logical thing was to merge with someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chevron cadet

I too was a deck cadet with chevron Tankship, started 77 and left at the back end of 1979. Was on Howard W Bell, James E O Brien, Burnaby and Feluy. I didnt take many photos at the time so its good to see these of the ships. Cant believe its almost 30 years ago

Cheers

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
moaf said:
I was a Chevron Cadet in the mid nineties. Does anybody know what happened to most of their vessels, especially George H Weyerhaeuser, Carla Hills, R Hal Dean, and Charles B Renfrew? I think they were got rid of on the merger with Texaco. Cheers
Moaf

I was in Chevrons main office in Houston several months ago they have now removed the Texaco from their Logo and simply back to Chevron once more. They are now more into Building FPSO,s mainly in South Korea for their Nigerian Oilfields. They reckon it will take 2 to 3 years to get rid of all the Chevron Texaco headed note paper.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,602 Posts
I'd think it will take longer than that gdynia!
It's been 5 years since BP changed logos from the Shield to the Spirograph, and we still have mountains of the old (PROPER!) Shield headed paperwork!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting that Chevron want their own brand. When they were in talks with Texaco the first time, the deal was everything would be bannered under the Chevron name. Inevitably, the talks broke down. Now it looks like they got what they wanted all along!

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
moaf said:
That's interesting that Chevron want their own brand. When they were in talks with Texaco the first time, the deal was everything would be bannered under the Chevron name. Inevitably, the talks broke down. Now it looks like they got what they wanted all along!
Its happening all the time you dont see much of Exxon Mobil these days its all under the Exxon Banner as for BP they change their funnels more than Soft Mick twice when I was with them

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was a 2nd mate on The Howard w. Bell, James e. O'Brien, E,. Hornsby Wasson as well as Chevron Feluy between fall '74 and fall of '77. Anyone having crewed on these ships during that period pls feel free to contact me. I'm sure they have all been scrapped long ago, I read that the Feluy was sold for scrap to China in 2000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello teetime I was deck cadet on the bell from feb 77 until july 77 joining in Dubai and leaving in freeport. Then joined the o brien in August 77 at rotterdam through until feb 78 cant remember where I paid off, so we may have crossed paths somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, mrdee, I left the Chevron Feluy in Aug '77 in Freeport and on to Southampton for my Master's Ticket. Some of the names I remember from Those days are L.V. Hort, Master, Bill Pugsley, Chief Mate, Peter Bartlett , another 2nd mate. Earlier on the Bell I had sailed with Ken Hills 2nd mate and Birger Christensen 3rd mate. I won't be surprised if none of these names ring a bell....that was a helluva long time ago..! Do I miss those days of painful slow steaming around the Cape....NO! Do I miss the cameraderie of Shipmates...Hell Yes!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Moaf:

I have been following the thread about Chevron with interest. I can't tell you what happened exactly to the Bell, Wasson O,Brien etc. other than to tell you that I had a conversation with Dave Twining (ex Chief - then Super') some years ago who told me they were all now "razor blades". I have posted two trials pictures under the Tanker group, I was on board both at the time the pictures were taken so can tell you a bit about their genesis if not their ending. I do have several photographs of these vessels and the crews if any one else is interested. The Wasson's first master was Cap't Chrichton and the Chief was "Killer" Cain. The Bell had Cap't Atkinson and Don Parry.
An interesting fact is that on her maiden voyage to Ras Tanura the Wasson grounded on the approach to the terminal pier. This was not reported until after leaving, with a full cargo. The temperature gauges on the condenser went off scale. On opening it the sea side was full of coral from the bottom. The repurcussions when we eventually reached Rotterdam were swift and final.

Regards
Coop

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Teetime, I sailed with Capt Bill Pugsley in '98. Can't remember which ship but possibly the Perth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Moaf and Coop, It's always great to come across someone who has sailed with your old shipmates. I was 2nd mate on the Bell in '74 when Dave Twining was the Chief Eng. I also sailed with him on the O'Brien. Bill Pugsley was a low key, nice quiet guy as Chief Mate.I also remember he only wore khakis all the time,summer and winter.I'm sure he made a great skipper, as he was definitely a good guy to be around.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure I've met Dave Twining, but Pugsley turned into a bit of a company man (obvious I suppose for an old man!). If I remember, he was always on VLCC's, whereas I was on motorships.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chief Officers

When it was known Bill Pugsley was joining the ship as mate the rest of the deck department scared the living daylights out of us cadets by saying how strict he was. As I remember he was amongst the best mate to report to. Other Chief officers from the past Graham Barden, Pete Barmby, Alfie Cole. All went on to become captains I think

(What is sad here is the long term memory is improving whilst the short term..)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Photos

Just out of interest has anyone a photo of the cabin on obrien burnaby or feluy. I was trying to describe how spartan they were to family. They seem to think that they were like a cruise ship

cheers

1 - 20 of 86 Posts