Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill Pugsley was Old Man on my first trip as Deck Cadet o/b the Chevron North America in 1990, also first trip as 3/O on Chevron Antwerp in about 1994. 18 years later I still rate him as one of the most knowledgeable and able Masters that I sailed with, never missed a trick. He could get on your back though!

Sorry to hear of his passing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

I joined the James E O'Brien off Capetown on 01.05.1977 as one of 2 Second Mates, (both named Ron). Both mates sharing the space with sections of
6"+dia pipe as we flew south in the dark. Sitting in the belly of the Sikorsky helicopter we could see the pilot had holes in his trainers....quite reassuring!!!
On arrival on deck on the port side helli pad we were passed by the outgoing 2Ms who I think gave us a hand over explanation...cant be sure as it was very quick and noisy. I know I was on watch, 12-4, within hours of arrival.
Looking at my discharge book Capt. Calders? left at Savona at end of May to be replaced by Capt. M B Smith.
I paid off in Rotterdam Europort 01.09.1977...never to return. Nothing personnal .....just could not come to terms with 2 interminable boring trips round the Cape to and from Europe from the Gulf with a trip to San Pedro in between for good luck!!

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Ron
Possible Dave Caldow(think that is correct). Went to work in San Francisco office I believe as a Marine Super.. Sailed with him very briefly as Chief Off. Sailed with Malcolm Smith as Master; small stature and very affable.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Chevron Rotterdam

I never sailed with Chevron, but used to do some spares business, with the Port Engineer Rotterdam, Mr. Einar Holm, anyone remember him? (Thumb)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chevron Tankship (UK) Ltd. Feluy, James E. O'Brien

Just out of interest has anyone a photo of the cabin on obrien burnaby or feluy. I was trying to describe how spartan they were to family. They seem to think that they were like a cruise ship

cheers
I see this is an old post, but I have a pic somewhere of my cabin (desk area ) on the James E. O'Brien in 1979 - we were infested with cockroaches at the time and had to have Rentokil onboard to deal with 'em ! - will try to find pic. (of cabin, not cockroaches!)

I sailed on O'Brien as 5/e/o with : Rodney Stoner c/e , Sultan Khan 3/o (who I bumped into in Hull 3or4 years ago, looking well and as chirpy as I rememberd ) , George --- 2/o, , --- --- a big tall fair-haired Scottish 2/e/o who was ex-BP (nice guy but can't remember his name), Dave Chapman 5/e and wife Pauline , Chris Warren 3/e , Geoff-"I'm never having you on my watch again"-Bromley 3/e and wife Val Bromley (nice lass') , Gordon --- scottish 5/e , Dave Peters 5/e , Pete --- 3/e/o scouser , - - - , The Master was a dark-haired short guy with a Norfolk-ish accent - laughed a lot !

then on Feluy with Peter Barmby as master (reminded me of Brian Blessed - big bearded and booming voice ) , Frankie Broom c/e ( had a photo of his pet pig on his desk!) , Bob Torrens 2/e/o , - - - - - memory fades ,

I paid-off at Freeport mid June 1980 and went ashore for good . Nearly 30 years ago ? - how did that happen ? !!

Will post photos when I find them (if encouraged !! ).
Paul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chevron Tankship UK

I joined Chevron as a junior engineer in 1973 and left in 1976 as third. I sailed on the Howard W Bell, the Wasson, stood by and sailed the maiden voyage on the Feluy, the Burnaby. Some names I remember are Capt. Jim Hawkins, Capt Atkinson (maiden voyage of the Feluy). Chief Engs Jim Kerr, Bob Hann, Calum Troup, Rod Stoner, Chief Officers John Leggit Second Engs. David Hay, David Trought. Third Engineers Edward Naylon,
Does anyone remember the vidio that was made of the Feluy's maiden voyage? I think it was called " A Letter Home" and was made by a Japanese company.
Anyone around at that time?

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I saw the ''Chevron Kentucky'' Launched in Nagasaki in 1975 (I think) Never heard of of her again. Anyone have any Info/Pictures of this ship?
I was on the British Resource, just completed, at that time.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
chevron kentucky

Hi dickyboy
The Chevron Kentucky was completed in 1971 in Rozenburg Holland. Tonnage 249556dwt, loa 1130ft, beam 170ft, 15.5kt steam turbine. I know nothing of her history following Chevron. There are no photos of her on SN so I have attached a small image(by Tom Rayner) below. There are five pics of her on auke visser's web site. Apparently she was broken up in 1985?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Hi dickyboy
The Chevron Kentucky was completed in 1971 in Rozenburg Holland. Tonnage 249556dwt, loa 1130ft, beam 170ft, 15.5kt steam turbine. I know nothing of her history following Chevron. There are no photos of her on SN so I have attached a small image(by Tom Rayner) below. There are five pics of her on auke visser's web site. Apparently she was broken up in 1985?
Very Strange Gadgee........
I'm pretty certain that it was the Cheveron Kentucky I saw launched in Nagasaki in September 1975. I was there for a couple of weeks after joining the British Resource. I recall it quite well, the only ship I've ever seen launched. Lots of whistles blowing etc as she slipped into the water, and as she did so a giant crane had the first section of the next build ready to lower onto the slipway.They didn't hang about! (Thumb)

·
Registered
13 Posts
video of the Chevron Feluy ?

. . . . .
Does anyone remember the vidio that was made of the Feluy's maiden voyage? I think it was called " A Letter Home" and was made by a Japanese company.
. . . . .
WOW!!! I would love to see a video or film of the Feluy - or in fact, ANY of the ships I sailed on.

Does anyone know anything else about this ?

Paul.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
dickboy

The Feluy etc were completed in Nagasaki about 74/75 but they had twin towers supporting the wheelhouse. Visser says Kentucky was built by Verolme, Rozenburg. See here:-
http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/part-1/id427.htm
I must be going Gaga, I could have absolutely sworn that it was the Chevron Kentucky I saw launched.
I've thought over all these years that it was, and always kept an eye out for her. How wrong can one get?? (Jester)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Photos

Hi Paul 5EO. Sorry havent been on for a while. Photo wise any examples you have would be good. I was digging out some myself the other day which I must post. One in particular was a party on board James E O Brien circa autumn 1977, recognised alot of the faces but could not put a name to all. One in particular was a 3rd called Ian Kerr.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see this is an old post, but I have a pic somewhere of my cabin (desk area ) on the James E. O'Brien in 1979 - we were infested with cockroaches at the time and had to have Rentokil onboard to deal with 'em ! - will try to find pic. (of cabin, not cockroaches!)

I sailed on O'Brien as 5/e/o with : Rodney Stoner c/e , Sultan Khan 3/o (who I bumped into in Hull 3or4 years ago, looking well and as chirpy as I rememberd ) , George --- 2/o, , --- --- a big tall fair-haired Scottish 2/e/o who was ex-BP (nice guy but can't remember his name), Dave Chapman 5/e and wife Pauline , Chris Warren 3/e , Geoff-"I'm never having you on my watch again"-Bromley 3/e and wife Val Bromley (nice lass') , Gordon --- scottish 5/e , Dave Peters 5/e , Pete --- 3/e/o scouser , - - - , The Master was a dark-haired short guy with a Norfolk-ish accent - laughed a lot !

then on Feluy with Peter Barmby as master (reminded me of Brian Blessed - big bearded and booming voice ) , Frankie Broom c/e ( had a photo of his pet pig on his desk!) , Bob Torrens 2/e/o , - - - - - memory fades ,

I paid-off at Freeport mid June 1980 and went ashore for good . Nearly 30 years ago ? - how did that happen ? !!

Will post photos when I find them (if encouraged !! ).
Paul.
Was the 3eo Peter Hawkins ex SAF Marine....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good photo! I was on the newer lightering ships in Pascagoula. There was talk of merging with Texaco when I was there. Chevron couldn't compete with Exxon-Mobil or BP-Amoco as they were so big so the logical thing was to merge with someone.
Chevron bought Texaco.It wasn't a Merger.They mainly bought them for their supply of Crude Oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chevron bought Texaco.It wasn't a merger.Condaleeza Rice was on Chevrons Board and possibly helped the bye out when she was brought in on President Bush's Cabinet.They mainly bought Texaco for their large reserve of crude oil.They did,however,change the companies name to ChevronTexaco,but have since changed it back to Chevron.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Chevron Fleet's names were named for States and Planets with Voyager behind the Names.They had one named for Condaleeza Rice but it was later named Altair Voyager,after a Star,after some controversery.I have seen and taken photos of the Neptune Voyager,California Voyager,and Arizona Voyager.I have also seen the Colorado Voyager.There is also a Mississippi Voyager.Chevron is also going to accept two new ships in 2010.I do remember seeing the Renfrew at the refinery all of the time.I hope this is useful information to you all.Alan

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
I have seen on another site that Dave Twining (C'E, Super) passed away some time ago. He was one of the best engineers I ever sailed with, both socially and engineering wise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was the 3eo Peter Hawkins ex SAF Marine....
Pete Hawkins ? - yes, that seems to ring a dull bell in my foggy memory, mrdee !
The Pete I sailed with was a scouser, not very tall, - called me "son" all the time ! - A nice guy.
- thinking about it, one of the cassettes I sent home to my parents had him saying hello on it - will try and find that too!

Paul .

41 - 60 of 89 Posts