Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. just found this thread. I served as eng' apprentice (1973) on the E. Hornsby Wasson and James E.O'Brien. Names I remember. C/E Rodney Stoner, 2 Eng' Jim Kerr, 3 Eng Frank MacDonald and his wife Isobelle, 3Eng Steve French and wife Liz? 5.th Eng Dave Evans. Sparks Finian Jones, Capt Hawkins, Deck Cadet Guy Digby, Eng Cadet Pete Hutchinson. Can remember many more but can't recall names.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I stood by both the E. Hornsby Wasson and the Howard W. Bell in Nagasaki 1970 and 1972 respectively. I also did sea trials on the George M. Keller. During six years with Chevron UK I sailed with some outstanding officers. Chiefs include Dave Twining, Rodney Stoner, Frank Broomes, Don Parry, Brian Kane. Seconds included Dougie Grant, Bill McDonald and Ken Mclelland who is the best natural engineer I ever met, a really great guy of the old School. I stood watch with some great Thirds when a Junior. Peter Mulvaney and Frank McDonald come to mind.
Does anyone remember when the Officers on the Wasson won the Pools? I had just left her to join the Bell at St. John, N.B. I was replacing an engineer called Brophy who lost an arm in an on board accident. On the way out we passed close to the Wasson and could hear the party on board. They had collectively won L47,000 ( a lot of money in those days). I recall Steve French over the radio saying they had got the news via BBC.

Coop

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just out of interest has anyone a photo of the cabin on obrien burnaby or feluy. I was trying to describe how spartan they were to family. They seem to think that they were like a cruise ship

cheers
MrDee I'm presently in the process of digitalising all my negatives. I'm ought have some photographs of the Chevron Burnaby in there somewhere. Also of the Defcon Equator, the Carla A. Hills, Charles B. Renfrew, R. Hal Dean and some more of which I can't remember the names at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Redbeard, sorry I have taken so long to reply - haven't been on for a while and just seen your post. Any such photos would be really interesting and much appreciated
Best wishes to you and all contributors for Christmas and the New Year
Mr Dee

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my name is Steve Hickey and I was a cadet with Chevron from 1975 to 1977.. Capt. Scottie employed me at the HQ in Croydon..Sailed on the James E.O'Brien, Hornsby Wasson, Chevron Burnaby and Howard W. Bell..I sailed with another cadet Brian Hamilton from Ayer and Guy Digby 2nd Mate..I also remember Alfie Cole, Graham Barden (Both Ex RFA) First Old Man was Capt. Morgan Jones..Lovely Welsh Old Man, appeared to be a Teetotalier and then would go on the batter..there was a C.E. Douggie Clarke..Remember a 5th Eng. Fred Johnson from Belfast . There was a Capt. Leggett, Memory is going..I have some old photos which I must upload..Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chevron E Hornsby Wasson

Joined James E O Brien during new build then E Hornsby Wasson on new build sailed on Howard W Bell, Feluly and Burnaby.as Third Engineer. sailed with K P Hills, Guy Digby, Rod Stone, Jim Kerr, Tommy Bain, Tommy Kelly, Geoff Bromley, Dougie Grant, Frank Bell, Steve French, Ken McLellan, Bill McDonald, Don Parry,Frank Broom. and many more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my name is Benn Hardie
Have just found this site and it brings back great memories.
Joined Chevron UK as Second Engineer on the Howard W Bell and sailed on her for a few years. My then wife Betty (a yank) sailed with me all the time.
Jim Kerr was one C/E I sailed with, Les Hort was Master, Capt Errington, also Engs Bill McDonald, Frank Mc Donald and Steve French.
They were a good few years.
Came home to Australia in 1978 and have been on the coast ever since, Tankers until 2006 and now Off Shore on Rig Tenders.
The slow steaming in the mid 70s was a very slow period but at least we were employed.
We then started the lightering caper in the Gulf off shore from Texas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I sailed with Chevron, 1976 to 1984 (in two periods) on Feluy, Burnaby, Wasson, Bell and with the Scandahoolies on the Perth, Armacost and Pacific. Leaving in 1984, because children came along. Some of the names I remember are
Captain's Pugsley, Hort, Porter, Wass, Barmby, Cole
C/E's Big Mac, Dave Twinning (when at P&O), Stan and Bernadette Parkinson, Frankie Broom, Rodney Stoner,
Others include Eddie Brittain, Steve French, Ken MacClellan, Jim Stott, Geoff Heywood, Ray Fleming, Peter Bartlett,

To name a few

Please feel free to contact me - I now live in the Highlands running a B&B with my wife (Sonia sailed with me on the Armacost).

Regards and best wishes to you all

Neville Robbins

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi my name is Benn Hardie
Have just found this site and it brings back great memories.
Joined Chevron UK as Second Engineer on the Howard W Bell and sailed on her for a few years. My then wife Betty (a yank) sailed with me all the time.
Jim Kerr was one C/E I sailed with, Les Hort was Master, Capt Errington, also Engs Bill McDonald, Frank Mc Donald and Steve French.
They were a good few years.
Came home to Australia in 1978 and have been on the coast ever since, Tankers until 2006 and now Off Shore on Rig Tenders.
The slow steaming in the mid 70s was a very slow period but at least we were employed.
We then started the lightering caper in the Gulf off shore from Texas.
Benn
I remember you and Betty very well. I was Second Mate at the time and my name is Raj Bakshi. I recollect "skinning a few tubes" with you both after the 12-4 watch. Those were happy and carefree times. I sailed with Chevron from '74 ,and left soon after my Master's in '78. I went on to business school and have worked in finance ever since. Home is New York City, so if you are planning a trip stateside, do shoot me an email. Cheers Mate! and thanks for rekindling some old memories!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Raj,
Good to hear from you.
Yes they were good times.
Sometimes I think lucky to be alive.
Do you rmember the Mate Jerry Perrot.
I ran into him at a single point mooring in New Guinea some 8 odd years ago.
He was loading Master and still working for Chevron.
I am still in the marine game ( well back at it aftr retireing in 2006) and working on the tugs in a big ion ore port in the North West of Australia.
Doing 4 weeks on and 4 off and living in Mooloolaba just north of Brisbane on the east coast.
If I get over to th USof A again I will surley look you up.
I am hoping to be over in Florida in about 18 months Tarpon fishing and most probably will head to the Big Apple for a week or so.
Good to hear from you
Cheers
Benn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Raj,
Good to hear from you.
Yes they were good times.
Sometimes I think luck to be alive.
Do you rmember the Mat Jerry Perrot.
I ran into him at a single point mooring in New Guinea some 8 odd years ago.
He was loading Master and still working for Chevron.
I am still in the marine game ( well back at it aftr retireing in 2006) and working on the tugs a big ion ore port in the North West of Australia.
Doing 4 weeks on and 4 off and living in Mooloolaba just north of Brisbane on the east coast.
If I get over to th USof A again I will surley look you up.
I am hoping to be over in Florida in about 18 months Tarpon fishing and most probably will head to the Big Apple for a week or so.
Good to hear from you
Cheers
Benn
Hi Benn
I hear the tarpon fishing is good around Southwest Florida and the Keys.Pretty much between Boca Grande all the way to Islamorada.You should have a tremendous time there. Yes, please let me know your plans to visit NY , I'll keep those beers cold!
I'm still working, with no plans to retire yet, though I try and take it easier in the summer to concentrate on my golf game. The only time I go to sea now is on a cruise with my family. Those cruise ships are like a different world, I now know why C/E Dave Twining called them floating gin palaces.
Cheers! and stay in touch.
Raj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chevron Engineer

From 1978 to 1985 I sailed on the Burnaby, O'Brien, Wasson (including scrapping run), Feluy, Frankfurt, Antwerp and Funkhouser, finishing as 2/A/E/O. I remember fondly sailing with a lot of great guys, many whos names escape me. But it was the few that made life difficult that I remember, they included Peter Camp and the strangest of all Geoff Bromley ( I remember his wife Val was lovely). Rodney Stoner was always one I tried to avoid and eventually I resigned from Chevron. I now live in Australia and work in Oil and Gas, involving many tanker conversions to FPSO's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tolucra,
Mate you must have joined Chevron just as I was heading home to Aus.
Came home and joined Ampol late 1977.
This all became TK I did the conversions of the Dampier and Karratha Spirits before retiring in 2006.
Back to work on rig tenders in 2008 and now on Port Hedland tugs and tapering.
Which FPSO's did you stand by on had a lot of mates around them especially the earlier FPSO's.
Nearly got the Chief's job on the Cossack Pioneer (ex Chevron London) but it got mothballed for over 6 months and in the meantime I took a Supers job.
Cheers
Benn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Benn.
Knew a few guys who worked on the Cossack Pioneer, I was working with Modec/BHP and involved mainly with Stybarrow and Origins Yolla platform. I will hopefully find out soon if I have got a job with Chevrons Wheatstone project.
Good to hear news from the extended Chevron community, we had some great times and sometines huge hangovers...
Tony

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finian Jones

Hi. just found this thread. I served as eng' apprentice (1973) on the E. Hornsby Wasson and James E.O'Brien. Names I remember. C/E Rodney Stoner, 2 Eng' Jim Kerr, 3 Eng Frank MacDonald and his wife Isobelle, 3Eng Steve French and wife Liz? 5.th Eng Dave Evans. Sparks Finian Jones, Capt Hawkins, Deck Cadet Guy Digby, Eng Cadet Pete Hutchinson. Can remember many more but can't recall names.
The name Finian Jones just popped into my head and I found this post after searching on Google. What a star he was! I sailed with him on the Venture Europe (Conoco VLCC with Spanish officers and crew) as a junior sparky around 1976. I remember he solved a problem with the radar that had stumped previous sparkys for over a year, and just about every spare part had been ordered for it without success. He got a lot of stick in the process from Marconi shore techs who didn't believe him when he said that the 10cm scanner would need to be removed. The fault had been radar signals intermittently disappearing and he worked out that it had something to do with ambient temperature. It turned out that the rotating joint in the scanner had jammed up and when the temperature dropped below a certain point the inner conductor in the rotating joint shrunk back and wasn't making contact. Spanish tanker life was great - an hour before lunch knocking back your own wine then free vino collapso with the meal followed by siesta. Happy days! (Pint)

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Sparkyjon: "....Spanish tanker life was great - an hour before lunch knocking back your own wine then free vino collapso with the meal followed by siesta. Happy days!"

Welcom to the site, Jon. I was on a UK tanker like that, I just didn't tell anyone.

John T

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was 2nd eng on all these ships on the mid 90's, my favourite was GHW when I met my wife during extended drydock in Singapore. I think they have all gone , around the same time as me (2000) most likely scrapped. Ah to the joy of 2 beers/day, what a life compared to now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for anyone who sailed with CE Malcolm "Mac" Davison

Hi All,

Just joined this thread to see if anyone sailed on any of the Chevron ships with my dad Malcolm "Mac" Davison. I am sure he would be very to hear from anyone from his Chevron Days

61 - 80 of 89 Posts