Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Brocklebanks it was a tradition to have a tree tied off to the Foremast ( With Lights ) I also remember that most British and German vessels followed the tradition . Were there other countries ?? Is the tradition still alive .

·
Banned
3 Posts
When I was a lad growing up in Timaru NZ, all the ships in port over the Xmas/New Year period had a Xmas tree at the foremast. It's a sight I've not seen for a few years, so perhaps it's another tradition gone..........

·
Registered
766 Posts
The tree used to be common in NZ many years back. Mind, there were more ships then and trees were not loaded onto ships and great loads.
Jim B

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,

It still is a tradition, in the Netherlands, and specially in the Northern Counties, as Groningen and Friesland, here seen the Anda,[old preserved coaster]taken by Bert Romeling in Delfzijl;
http://members.home.nl/lmromeling/Anda%2020-12-2005.JPG
®©Bert Romeling

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Derek Roger said:
In Brocklebanks it was a tradition to have a tree tied off to the Foremast ( With Lights ) I also remember that most British and German vessels followed the tradition . Were there other countries ?? Is the tradition still alive .
Derek
From my experience its a declining tradition.With our vessels being at sea constantly they will not allow us to put a tree up as some prize idiot in a office reckons the lights will distract the helicopter pilots on landing approach.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Cal-Mac vessels usually had tree a up the foremast or on the monkey island at xmas but it's slowly dying out. More often now they are put up in the entrance foyer or bar / lonuge.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
When I was with Stevie clarkes in the early 80's we used to have a Christmas tree lashed to the fore mast over the festive season, in port & at sea. See gallery (Thumb)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I remember in ORCADES at Naples around Christmastime in 1964 we had an illuminated tree at the masthead. I can't remember what they did in ORSOVA - the mastless liner.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember RMAS Gooseander used to at least have Christmas lights stretched between masts.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I can recall having a xmas tree up the mast but try as i might i can not remember which ship or ships(senior moments again) think i was on a tanker when we had a few trees, picked them up in Hamburgh to be passed onto other shell tankers abroad, stored midships(FOG IS BEGINING TO THIN OUT A BIT)memories are coming back all the time on SN

·
Registered
508 Posts
jim barnes said:
I can recall having a xmas tree up the mast but try as i might i can not remember which ship or ships(senior moments again) think i was on a tanker when we had a few trees, picked them up in Hamburgh to be passed onto other shell tankers abroad, stored midships(FOG IS BEGINING TO THIN OUT A BIT)memories are coming back all the time on SN
I was at sea a few times for Xmas...RML, BP, Lyles of Glasgow...don't remember any Xmas Trees...I do remember a minimum of Xmas spirit on all of them...and I don't mean liquid spirit! (Cloud) On one BP we were all issued 2 cans of beer each (company's regards) and the skipper sent down ½ dozen bottles of Chianti (red) between about 30 men. I had an aunt worked at Brittanic House (BP HQ) at the same time, she said they had a party lasted 2-days...all for free...and the food/drink left over was shared out or thrown out! Vix (Night)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
vix said:
I was at sea a few times for Xmas...RML, BP, Lyles of Glasgow...don't remember any Xmas Trees...I do remember a minimum of Xmas spirit on all of them...and I don't mean liquid spirit! (Cloud) On one BP we were all issued 2 cans of beer each (company's regards) and the skipper sent down ½ dozen bottles of Chianti (red) between about 30 men. I had an aunt worked at Brittanic House (BP HQ) at the same time, she said they had a party lasted 2-days...all for free...and the food/drink left over was shared out or thrown out! Vix (Night)
Dead right Vix, biggest thrill was to have dinner served to the crew at dinner by the officers, usually glad when that fiasco was over, can't remember any free drinks though??? :mad: Maybe Boson got there first.LOL

·
Registered
508 Posts
jim barnes said:
Dead right Vix, biggest thrill was to have dinner served to the crew at dinner by the officers, usually glad when that fiasco was over, can't remember any free drinks though??? :mad: Maybe Boson got there first.LOL
Hi Jim, No, I don't remember ever having any officer serving me. The RML Loch Loyal we were supposed to be in KGV but got fog bound off Southend Pier...no officer had the courage to come near the mess room, which was a communal one. One fellow threw the white table cloth on the floor and said..."If I'm not good enough to have a table cloth yesterday, I'm not good enough today or tomorrow, either"...that's the kind of Xmas's I remember at sea. On that one all we got was 1 tot of rum and we had to sign for it...so we didn't get a second one...and the C/S didn't want to give me mine because I was only 17...you should have heard the cat calls from everyone behind me...thanks to them I got my tot...and signed for it! (Cloud) Vix

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
vix said:
Hi Jim, No, I don't remember ever having any officer serving me. The RML Loch Loyal we were supposed to be in KGV but got fog bound off Southend Pier...no officer had the courage to come near the mess room, which was a communal one. One fellow threw the white table cloth on the floor and said..."If I'm not good enough to have a table cloth yesterday, I'm not good enough today or tomorrow, either"...that's the kind of Xmas's I remember at sea. On that one all we got was 1 tot of rum and we had to sign for it...so we didn't get a second one...and the C/S didn't want to give me mine because I was only 17...you should have heard the cat calls from everyone behind me...thanks to them I got my tot...and signed for it! (Cloud) Vix
must say never had it bad only once but no one's fault realy. told in a previouse thread"Christmas at sea" had to jump from a german supply vessel at sea of W/africa at dinner time Xmas day germans had a good spread on, i left and jumped onto our Brit supply vessel heading in and yes you got it there was no food aboard, all our supplies where in a container on the dock waiting for us, but thats another story>

·
Registered
310 Posts
tree

agentroadrunner said:
Cal-Mac vessels usually had tree a up the foremast or on the monkey island at xmas but it's slowly dying out. More often now they are put up in the entrance foyer or bar / lonuge.

Here's last year's (2005) going up on the Clansman ....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Even on the tugs for United Towing we put a Christmas tree up the mast. Where we got them from is another story especially when we where tied up in a Norwegian port.
Ray Jordan

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
Many of the RFAs I sailed in sported Christmas trees if in port over the festive season. One or two of the Kirkcudbright fishing fleet aslo brighten up the harbour each year...we'll be watching, Dougie!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Was there another tradition, that the youngest member of the crew rang the ships bell at midnight New Year. I have a vague memory (Alcohol induced no doubt) of being up forward with the junior purser on one of the ships I was on, making a terrible racket with the bell until we were pulled of it. Also blowing the whistle when we were in port for New Year, I remember using all the steam out of the Donkey boiler on the Matra in Colombo, in 1969.

Cheers,

Nick Jones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts