1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this book by Adrian Searle which tries to prove that German
commandos landed on the Isle of Wight in Aug 1943 to attack the
radar station at RAF St Lawrence.
A lot of heresay and myth but no real hard proof and completely denied by the authorities.
I lived a mile and a half from RAF St Lawrence in 1942 -44 and heard
nothing about it. But don't suppose an 11 year old boy would have been told anything anyway.
My aunt was he district nurse for the area and don't remember her saying anything either.
Would be interested to hear if anyone has any more info on this.
Especially from Germany

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
In 2007 a report was released that confirmed that a fast patrol boat briefly visited the IoW in that area...

geoff

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

I am not now party to Official Secrets so like everyone else have to rely on Google and the like!

geoff

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
From the backing music in the video, it may have been Colonel Klinkerhoffer and Sergeant Schultz who invaded!

I will ask a question of the R.A.F. Air Defence Museum at Neatishead. They may have a definitive answer in their archives.

Roy.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I have had a reply from the RAF Air Defence Radar Museum, and three of the members are now researching this event. I will advise of any further information. One of the members is a Trustee of the Fighter Control Association, and has done extensive work on the history of the Chain Home Radar System and the various sites.

Roy.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I have had a reply from the RAF Air Defence Radar Museum, and three of the members are now researching this event. I will advise of any further information. One of the members is a Trustee of the Fighter Control Association, and has done extensive work on the history of the Chain Home Radar System and the various sites.Roy.
If it should turn out to have actually happened, who will play the main role in the movie? Michael Caine is a bit too long in the teeth. I never heard any Mention of it on Foyle's War and, I saw every episode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts