Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ellerman Line

undefined Interested to see your photos. My first visit tothis site. Sailed with Ellermans Wilson Line 1954-61 AS CADET AND 3RD MATE cOMPARED WITH TODAY'S SHIPS THOSE OF THE 50'S AND 60;S HAD STYLE PETER BEST [email protected]

QUOTE=Derek Hudson]Here are a couple of photos of the City of Durban. I s erved in this ship for a few voyages.
I have lots of photos of other Ellerman ships if anyone is interested but this is a start.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Derek Hudson said:
Here are a couple of photos of the City of Durban. I served in this ship for a few voyages.
I have lots of photos of other Ellerman ships if anyone is interested but this is a start.
Hi Derek,
Good pictures,good ships, lets see more please
Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Derek,
The Durban was my first ship in 1965, there were 12 cadets on and we sailed from Immingham to Hamburg, Rotterdam and paid off in Newcastle.
Rgds Peter Flintham

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Derek would be interested in two photos please, City of Manchester and City of Worcester. Did a stint on both as Sparks and don't have one of either. June issue of Ships Monthly did a big spread on Ellerman, every other ship was there....kind regards,J.A.Gray (like the DoDo bird, now extinct)

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
Hi Derek
The City of Durban was of course the last of the four City of Port Elizabeth class to be built by Vickers at Walker Naval Yard on the Tyne. They normally disembarked passengers, hotel staff and some cargo at London and then worked their way up the North Sea to Newcastle, before returning to London to pick up outward bound passengers. Not the best way to maximise the return on Ellerman's investment in their passenger accommodation, but life was more relaxed in those days.
I remember watching them pass my office window in the 1960's when I worked at Hawthorn Leslie (Engineers) Ltd at St Peters, which was just down river from their Newcastle berth. Hawthorn Leslie built all eight Doxford diesel engines for the ships and we had a service contract from Ellerman. A spare cylinder liner and its gear was provided. Every time one of the ships arrived at Newcastle our engineers would go on-board and remove and replace a cylinder liner on a rotation basis. The old cylinder liner was taken back to St Peters and refurbished in time to repeat the process on the arrival of the next ship in the class. An early form of preventative maintenance in action.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Derek
Some great Ellerman pictures, do you have "Cities of Winchester (1952),Bedford(1950),Glasgow (1963) and London (1947)" Would greatly appreciate any of these you may have.
Also would anyone out there know the whereabouts of Chris Butcher (3/0 City of Winchester) 1963/4 MANZ run.
Tks for any help
Fergus62

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sparks said:
Hi Derek would be interested in two photos please, City of Manchester and City of Worcester. Did a stint on both as Sparks and don't have one of either. June issue of Ships Monthly did a big spread on Ellerman, every other ship was there....kind regards,J.A.Gray (like the DoDo bird, now extinct)
Hi Sparks,

I have a photo of the City of Worcester (the 1960 built one) taken 1977 if any good to you. If it is P/M me your e-mail address and I will send full file copy. Hav'nt got around to posting to gallery yet.

Also :City of Liverpool (built 1970)
Island of Marmara -ex- City of St Albans
Levensau -ex- City of Cork

Julian

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Derek
First visit to site Like Peter served my time with the Wilson Line(1956to 1970) but tranferred to Ellerman's City of Khartoum, Calcutta, City of Britstol(ex Sacramneto)
and City of York and others

·
Registered
47 Posts
I a picutre of City of Winchester taken going under the Jaques Cartier Bridge Montreal about 1961 and I May have one of the City of Beford I think taken at anchor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Willby

I have pics of City of York but I have just come this site and havn't posted any yet,
if you have email I can e-mail them to you

Ian

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cities of Winchester and Bedford

Hi igw 1740
Would love to see your pictures of Winchester and Bedford.
Pessed thru Montreal twice in 1963/4 when of MANZ run (Snr Apprentice) Later 3rd Mate Bedford 1966/7

Tks
Fergus 62

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

I am not sure how I send an attachment on this site asyet if you have an e-mail address I will send you them

Ian

·
Registered
842 Posts
Welcome Ian (igw1740) to SN,
Hope you enjoy all that the site offers and look forward to your contributions whenever you wish. To help you navigating the site, on Main Page you will find Site Help which will give you hints, also Guidelines to Posting will assist in photo and message posting..

·
Registered
47 Posts
THere are some guys who are requesting pictures of certainships which I can supply, but I dont know how to attach them only by email
Can you enlighten me

THanks Ian

1 - 20 of 38 Posts