Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was one of two sisters and was built at Scotstoun in 1970.Her sister,CITY OF HULL was built at Dundee.
These shots on LONDON were taken in Glasgow in 1973 on the occasion of the local World Ship Society branch organising a visit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
City of Liverpool

I was on the City of Liverpool in 1973 as an electrical Off. (leccy),was not this ship the same class as the City of London and the City of Hull?
best wishes. Malcolm Bennington

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was indeed- forgot all about her!! Can/t remember if she was Dundee built as well. Certainly not Clyde- that was just LONDON.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
City of Liverpool

Any info out there about the City of Liverpool referred to?
Surprisingly the usually very reliable Ships in Focus "Ellerman Lines" makes no reference to a City of Liverpool of any era and yet there are two photos in the gallery clearly showing a City of Liverpool that appears to be of the 1950's City of Oxford class of turbine steamers. Ellermans certainly had an unusual policy of changing a ship's name during her career.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Jim

Come across 3 vessels with names as follows from Ellermans different companies

City of Liverpool 1970 -1981 sold to Greece renamed Marianthe.

Hall Line
City of Liverpool Built 1948. Sold 1967 to Panama as Kavo Grossos

Ellerman and Bucknall

City of Liverpool Built 1982(Chartered Vessel) returned to Germany in 1985 as Campania

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
City of Liverpool

gdynia said:
Jim

Come across 3 vessels with names as follows from Ellermans different companies

City of Liverpool 1970 -1981 sold to Greece renamed Marianthe.

Hall Line
City of Liverpool Built 1948. Sold 1967 to Panama as Kavo Grossos

Ellerman and Bucknall

City of Liverpool Built 1982(Chartered Vessel) returned to Germany in 1985 as Campania
Thanks, that clears it up - the 1970 version would appear to be sister ship to City of London and City of Hull.
Any idea where she was built?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,
City of London 1970,Scotstoun built Upper Clyde Shipbuilders Ltd.[517]
City of Hull 1971,Dundee built Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd.[555]
City of Liverpool 1970, Dundee built Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd[554]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lovely looking ship, but still not a patch on the 1947 City of London class!
12 passengers, luxurious cabins and and a great buch of apprentices to look after their daughters' needs...

·
Registered
235 Posts
City of London

(Frogger) (Thumb) Agree one hundred per cent with you Chris. My first ship as Deck Apprentice was the 1947 City of London 1962 - 63. Two trips, East Africa and India. And yes we did entertain a diplomats two teenage daughters. On the serious side the City of London was a fine old lady and despite the fact that we had several tragic experiences including loss of live in that period after all these years I retain many fond memories of those trips. Perhaps time filters out the hard times but the good ones (and there were many) remain. Yea, good shipmates, good ship, good times.

Fergus 62

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Can anyone tell me anything about the City of Bedford in 1956. She towed a Swedish ketch called the Globe from the southern end of the Red Sea to Aden in March 1956. My wife to be was mate of the ketch! I'm hoping to contact somebody who may have been in the City of Bedford and may have taken pictures of the event. Hugh Ferguson.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was on the City of Liverpool in 1973 as an electrical Off. (leccy),was not this ship the same class as the City of London and the City of Hull?
best wishes. Malcolm Bennington
I was also on this ship as 2nd Steward with Joe Cashmore as Purser coasting sometime. It was my last ship when I left the sea in 1977 as Purser. You are right the City of London, Liverpool & Hull were sister ships.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
This was also my last ship with Ellermans June 4th 1973.
The only deep sea trip (May5th-Sept 9th 1972) Port of call. London-Durban-Muscat-Abadan-Khorramshar-Basrah-Kuwait-Bahrain-Doha-Singapore-Rejang-Hong Kong-Yokahama-Kobe-Shimizu-Balboa(Panama)-London. Capt John Owen.C/Stwd Joe Cashmore,and for the life of me can't remember the rest of the crew,anyone know?
regards Malcolm Bennington

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There was a ship called "City of London" which was owned by the Brussels S.S. Co. on the London/Brussels trade. She was built in 1927 and sold in 1962 so she was sailing at the same time as the Ellerman ship of the same name built in 1947.
I thought that there couldn't be two ships with the same name on the British register at the same time.
Trader.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
The City of Liverpool if I remember had a new type Doxford engine the top piston being a smaller buffer piston.I do remember the cranes because I had to work on them.They were Clarke Chapman controlled by Ward-Leonard sets i.e. an A.C. motor coupled to a D.C. generator,my first experience of an A.C. ship.

·
Registered
495 Posts
remember the crane ward-leonards sets well , on the londons second last trip in the company about 1980, it was found in liverpool the day before sailing to east africa, that all four foredeck verticle standing slew motors had filled up to the comms with rain water from the previous trip when one lifeboat had carried away in a hurricain off maritus ,we had to stip out all armatures and brake gear to put ashore for baking at port said ,second leckie was put on nights to dry out the field coils and poles in the galley oven , working long days on scaffold boards on the crane jib for access , ship delayed three days before going thru canal , the windlass and other control gear never really recovered from the effects the whole trip , the rain water had entered thu the contol panels on the crane sides and down into all motors via cable conduits . made for another memorable trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re City of Hull o/no 181104 circa 47 sister to C of London,and C of Pretoria
twin turbines,I sailed on C of Hull in 57 as 4th eng and again in 1960 as 3rd
A story about C of London I meet an engineer who was on the London during the spit head review in 53,they had extra staff on board,made up of lads
on ticket leave.As most rember money got tight on ticket leave,he didnt
run up a bar bill payed as he went.At the end of the review Sir John Ellerman told the purser to cancel all bar bills!this poor chap had a grand bill of one
bar of chocolate!!
There were City of Liverpool single screw turbine(182485)Manchester(182144)Perth(182127)of the City of Oxford class amongst the ships I put my head
down to lie in 50/60s buggers to stop smoking if the old man was in a hurry

·
Registered
32 Posts
City of London

This vessel was built by Connolls shipyard and the sulzur engine was supplied by Barclay Curle Engine Works where I served my apprenticeship. I remember her well a lovely ship. Barclay's also supplied the engines for the Toronto class vessels as well.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts