Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sailed as an Engine Cadet on the City of Liverpool in early 1979. A wee bit of trivia, her Derricks were pictured in the Efficient Deck Hand book.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There speaks an engineer.
City of Liverpool - Derricks - 1980.
I dont think so - she had cranes.
Lovely ship - I was 3rd Mate on her in 1978/9.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There speaks an engineer.
City of Liverpool - Derricks - 1980.
I dont think so - she had cranes.
Lovely ship - I was 3rd Mate on her in 1978/9.
Dancer?

And my mind is surely playing tricks on me. I thought she had cranes on the Fwd hatches but had Derricks just Fwd of the accomodation. Too many beers during that period for me I fear.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
There was a ship called "City of London" which was owned by the Brussels S.S. Co. on the London/Brussels trade. She was built in 1927 and sold in 1962 so she was sailing at the same time as the Ellerman ship of the same name built in 1947.
I thought that there couldn't be two ships with the same name on the British register at the same time.
Trader.
I remember her well on the Thames in the 50's. Here is a photo (not good alas) from Ian Allan's 1954 publication 'Coastal Ships'

·
Registered
150 Posts
Actually, thedon59 is correct, the Liverpool's derricks do feature in the EDH handbook. The Liverpool and her sisters had a pair of Speedcrane derricks serving hatches 3 & 4. I seem to remember that they were a variation on the Hallen derrick system. I dont think they actually caught on, and the firm went bust. I sailed on the London as cadet, and the Liverpool as third mate, aahh, happy days, cheers Evan.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This was also my last ship with Ellermans June 4th 1973.
The only deep sea trip (May5th-Sept 9th 1972) Port of call. London-Durban-Muscat-Abadan-Khorramshar-Basrah-Kuwait-Bahrain-Doha-Singapore-Rejang-Hong Kong-Yokahama-Kobe-Shimizu-Balboa(Panama)-London. Capt John Owen.C/Stwd Joe Cashmore,and for the life of me can't remember the rest of the crew,anyone know?
regards Malcolm Bennington
c/o Tim Seaman
1/0 jerry Walsh (?) + wife
2/0 Don McPhearson
Cadet Stewart Jacklin
Cadet Joe Q
C/E ?
2/E (?) Albosom (?)
3/E ?
4/E Stewart McLellen
J/E
Cadet Northen Irish lad + a geordie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ya there, I sailed as Junior Engineer on the City of Columbo - it was about 1974/75 time - I remember having Christmas day Lunch in Durban harbour - but my memory of the City of London was -

We were due to go home to the UK via Germany; when we received orders the City of London was going to transfer some cargo onto our ship (City of Columbo) which had to return to the Gulf for a short trip with the cargo.

When the City of London was alongside discharging cargo onto our ship the 4th Engineer and a certain accomplice managed to tape together 2 brush shanks with a paintbrush on the end of it. We then painted (by opening the engine room gunport doors) a 'swastika sign' on the side of the hull of the City of London - aye it cost us a barrel of beer that did!

happy memories

aye
john

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never sailed on any of them but if I remeember correctly two had Sulzer Engines and one had a Doxford. (or was it the other way round) I remember as a phase 3 cadet going to Doxfords Engine works to see an engine on test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I never sailed on any of them but if I remeember correctly two had Sulzer Engines and one had a Doxford. (or was it the other way round) I remember as a phase 3 cadet going to Doxfords Engine works to see an engine on test.
The Liverpool had a Doxford. I am pretty sure the other two had Sulzers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Blimey I will have to try and find a picture. I can only recall cranes. But it is a long time ago. I was excited as she was trhe first time I had sailed with cranes. Before I did my ticket the newest ship I had been on was built in 1960 (City of Worcester). And I was the only one in the class who had sailed with wood/canvas hatches and had used a side streaming log.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Aaahh, the joys of rigging a side streaming log!!!!!, and many a happy hour making new hatch boards with the chippy. I seem to remember being told by the chippy that when that class was built no. 2 hatch was too big for Mcgregor hatch covers, hence the wood and canvas. cheers, Evan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both the Liverpool and Hull were built in the Caledon Yard, Dundee. I served half my apprenticeship on them. Shame I never had the chance to sail on them when I evetually joined Ellerman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The other way around the Liverpool and Hull had 7J Doxfords and the London had an 6RND90 Sulzer.

In answer to another question they may not have had derricks as such but they did have what was called a speed crane which was a heavy lift of sorts it serviced #4 hatch I think.??

John Brown

·
Registered
674 Posts
I joined the London as a first trip engine cadet on 7/7/77 in Liverpool, fine ship and a great trip. Was on the 8 - 12 watch with fourth engineer Richie Greenwood, we used to shove the revs up through the night and pull her back at ten to midnight before the third came on watch. Used to 'flog the log' and work out what the rev counter should be for the correct revs. The third was always in trouble for bunging the revs up on his watch, which he always denied - ages before he cottoned on!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i really hope you get this message. I saw one of your comments about your last sail in 1973 and the captain was John Owen. I think that,s my grandfather he was captain at that time on ellerman lines.x

·
Registered
279 Posts
I asked my grandpa and he said he did that voyage(Captain John Owen) it would be good to speak to you
Are you refering to the round the world voyage on the City of Liverpool in 1972?

I was a cadet on that voyage the captain was John Owen

·
Registered
5 Posts
City of London

I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald

·
Registered
1 Posts
remember the crane ward-leonards sets well , on the londons second last trip in the company about 1980, it was found in liverpool the day before sailing to east africa, that all four foredeck verticle standing slew motors had filled up to the comms with rain water from the previous trip when one lifeboat had carried away in a hurricain off maritus ,we had to stip out all armatures and brake gear to put ashore for baking at port said ,second leckie was put on nights to dry out the field coils and poles in the galley oven , working long days on scaffold boards on the crane jib for access , ship delayed three days before going thru canal , the windlass and other control gear never really recovered from the effects the whole trip , the rain water had entered thu the contol panels on the crane sides and down into all motors via cable conduits . made for another memorable trip
Hi donnie, i was the second leckie u mentioned and it was a hell of a trip cos we didn't get paid for all the extra overtime we worked.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts