Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
There speaks an engineer.
City of Liverpool - Derricks - 1980.
I dont think so - she had cranes.
Lovely ship - I was 3rd Mate on her in 1978/9.
Apology to engineers called for I think from a not very observant deckie ??? Clearly derricks can be seen on the picture earlier in this thread from Bob S. Whoops !

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I remember the London being in Southampton when I was there on the Chrysantema.Some joker had blocked out the letters on the illuminated name box on the upperworks so it read City of ondo,had me scratching my head until I saw her in daylight

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald[/QUOTE

I was 3/0 when you joined, just coasting. Paid off in London, I do recall we had a fair few parties in Hull and Newcastle. Must have been quite an eyeopener ! 2/0 was Dave Birley and the OM was Owen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald[/QUOTE

I was 3/0 when you joined, just coasting. Paid off in London, I do recall we had a fair few parties in Hull and Newcastle. Must have been quite an eyeopener ! 2/0 was Dave Birley and the OM was Owen.
I suppose you could call it an eye opener, I had a great time. As I recall we had parties in every port. Captain Owen was a real gent, you all did your best to wind me up about the dreaded Capt Ramsden joining for deep sea, he must have mellowed no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The three vessels of this class were built in the early 1970s and were long after the earlier 12s (12) passenger class of ship with similar names. I served as second mate on both the City of London & City of Hull in 1974/75.
Masters were Ken James & Aston Ramsden (London) & Brian Torrence (Hull)
I was mate on the City of Liverpool in 1979/80 during the final days of Ellerman lines. Actually made redundant after leaving the vessel, when I think only four vessels left in the Ellerman Lines fleet.
City of London Off No. 341138
City of Hull 341344
City of Liverpool 339336

The vessels were kitted out with Clarke Chapman cranes and "Speedcrane" swinging heavy(ish) derricks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
city of london, brussels ss co.

scorcher, thanks for the photo, was on her in 1958. enjoyed the weekly trips to brussels. unfortunatly all good things come to an end.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i really hope you get this message. I saw one of your comments about your last sail in 1973 and the captain was John Owen. I think that,s my grandfather he was captain at that time on ellerman lines.x
Hi Jennytot,Just a longshot but if your grandfathers middle initial is `I` and he was born in Barcelona, then I sailed with him on the City of Philadelphia, Birkenhead to the Cape and back in 1965 when he was Mate

Richard

·
Registered
36 Posts
I sailed on the City of London as an apprentice in the early '70s. As I recall there was a bit of a stink when the new stereo speakers were installed in the bar and the 'audio expert' decided that the arm of one of the bronze statues (Gog or Magog, I forget which mythical London based god it was) was in the way of the best site for a speaker. Suffering from a little tunnel vision he popped down the engine room for a hack saw and amputated the arm. This allowed the speaker to be positioned in the optimum place. Maybe this is what happened to the Venus de Milo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
OMG, I was on the London coasting in 1974, can't remember who the old man was, but the mate was Robin Meikle, soon to be fleet training officer, anyway, I remember the statues well, and also remember being told that they were worth an absolute fortune, and that when the ship was sold on or scrapped, that the statues were to be taken back to the UK to the office by the old man. I often wondered whatever happened to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was a deck cadet on City of Hull in 1976 - we spent 6 months anchored off Bahrain having spent 2 months in Govan Drydock having the entire waterline around the ship cropped out and replaced after she had become beset in the St Lawerence Seaway the previous winter. Lovely ships but hopelessly inefficient cargo carriers!

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
I suppose you could call it an eye opener, I had a great time. As I recall we had parties in every port. Captain Owen was a real gent, you all did your best to wind me up about the dreaded Capt Ramsden joining for deep sea, he must have mellowed no problems.
Curious that you call him the "dreaded"; he was Master on my first trip as cadet on the Auckland, and he seemed a very pleasant bloke, to me, if remote, being of God-like status compared to a cadet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
City Of Liverpool Derricks

Dancer?

And my mind is surely playing tricks on me. I thought she had cranes on the Fwd hatches but had Derricks just Fwd of the accomodation. Too many beers during that period for me I fear.

Correct she had heavy lift derricks fwd of the accomodation deck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me and hubby must have been on the City of Liverpool at the same time as you JMD48. Allan was the junior engineer and it was our first ( and last ) trip after we got married as he was made redundant after that trip too. We went down to Bunbury in Australia if it's the same trip. We can't remember lots of the names but do recall that there were lots of Johns. Albert Wise was the purser. Keith Robson was first lecky and Ron Shaw was the second lecky. We can also recall Peter White and Graham Humble. 2nd Engineer was Paul ?????.
If my memory serves me right your wife did "tatting", that's if I have the right person of course. Lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Speedcranes

Looks like Thompson derricks to me on Robert J Smiths picture above.
The swinging derricks were also called Thomson Speedcranes.
I seem to remember the maker was John S. Thomson of Gourock and the inventor was Robert Morrison of Greenock.
There was a story that Morrison was on the train from Glasgow to Greenock and around Langbank he had the “vision”. Without pen or paper he used the steamed up windows to draw a rough sketch then found someone with pen and paper to transfer his “vision”.
Whether the above is true or not it is still a good story!!!
More on the technical side can be found on:-
http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US3620504
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me and hubby must have been on the City of Liverpool at the same time as you JMD48. Allan was the junior engineer and it was our first ( and last ) trip after we got married as he was made redundant after that trip too. We went down to Bunbury in Australia if it's the same trip. We can't remember lots of the names but do recall that there were lots of Johns. Albert Wise was the purser. Keith Robson was first lecky and Ron Shaw was the second lecky. We can also recall Peter White and Graham Humble. 2nd Engineer was Paul ?????.
If my memory serves me right your wife did "tatting", that's if I have the right person of course. Lol.
Hi Lynn, Keith Robson here.
That was a memorable trip to Bunbury and my last one when I was nearly washed overboard in the Red Sea after taking on bunkers. I'd only gone down to retrieve the bunker phone when the ship did a battleship turn and swamped the deck.
Don't remember Ron Shaw on that voyage as I believe he was sacked after knicking a Fiat X19 in Mauritius. Memories not what it used to be though. I also remember Cpt John Owen fondly or J10 as we all called him and the purser on the City of London Dennis Murrell. Great guys to sail with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The other way around the Liverpool and Hull had 7J Doxfords and the London had an 6RND90 Sulzer.

In answer to another question they may not have had derricks as such but they did have what was called a speed crane which was a heavy lift of sorts it serviced #4 hatch I think.??

John Brown
Hi John
Nice to see you're still around.
I did my last voyage with you on the Liverpool.
Keith Robson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Lynn, Keith Robson here.
That was a memorable trip to Bunbury and my last one when I was nearly washed overboard in the Red Sea after taking on bunkers. I'd only gone down to retrieve the bunker phone when the ship did a battleship turn and swamped the deck.
Don't remember Ron Shaw on that voyage as I believe he was sacked after knicking a Fiat X19 in Mauritius. Memories not what it used to be though. I also remember Cpt John Owen fondly or J10 as we all called him and the purser on the City of London Dennis Murrell. Great guys to sail with.
Hi keith,
Great to hear back from you. After reading your reply my old brain started to kick into gear. Ron was on that trip for sure, his cabin was next door to ours. I've got photos of him on the beach in Bunbury. I can only find one of you, and as per most of my photos it isn't a good one lol. How I wish we'd had digital cameras back then. A few names have popped back into my mind of the lads who were on that trip.
Capt. "Gibby" George
Mate. John ????
2nd Mate...not a clue but I do have photos of him!
3rd Mate...Andy Miller lived in Annan
Deck Cadets. "Young" John ???....lived in Burnage Manchester. Another cadet we called "Mick Rick Baccy Belly"haven't a clue about his real name.

Radio Operator........John ???? he was Irish and I used to love the way he said our call sign....Golf, Oscar Oscar Alpha.

Chief Eng..John Brown
2nd Eng...Paul Johnson from the NE of England. His wife was called Janette and he had baby boy called Sam.
3rd Eng....Graham Humble ( his mum once reported him to the police as a possible Yorkshire Ripper ) .....thanks mum!! The other 3rd was Peter White.
4th Eng .....Ian ???? ( possibly McLeod ) he was from Scotland
Jnr Eng....Allan Roberts
Eng Cadets.....Tony ???? ( from NE England ) and a lovely lad we called "Gussett" but can't recall his real name.

Purser was Albert Wise from Liverpool.
And of course you and Ron the lekkys. I might be mistaken with a few names but I'm fairly confident with most of them.
If I can work out how, I could either pop some photos on here or I can send them via email to you if you like.
Hope you keep well Keith, we're just older and none the wiser. Had some fantastic adventures along the way and still planning many more!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Lynn
You hav a better memory than me.
I now recall being surprised that Ron joined the ship as the eng cadets he knocked the car with we’re all dismissed. I can only presume that they were desperately short of leckies and kept him on.
Anyway he was s good lad.
Interesting the bloke who made the ripper hoax calls was called Humble from Castleton Sunderland. Always wondered if Graham knew him?
I recognise some of the names you mentioned. Andy 3rd mate was a deck cadet on the London I sailed on before the Liverpool. The Geordie engineer cadet we knicknamed a’naaw cos he always replied a’naaw cos ave done it before. Me and Ron used to have his life. I remember the chief John Brown and the 2nd engineer and his wife who came from a village near Chester Le Street in Coonty Durham. I’ve got Pete White for getting hooked for life on Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds which he played almost all the time in the bar.
Are you on Facebook? Somewhere I have a photo album from my voyages, I wasn’t an avid photographer and my camera was crap but I may have some from my one and my last voyage on the Liverpool. Look up my name on fb I have a Union Jack as my profile picture.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts