Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please advise any ports Ellermans "City of Ripon" built 1956 and Blue Star "Townsville Star" built 1957 visited during their time ? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Townsville Star and City of Ripon

Very many thanks Tugboat, I didn't know about these links. You have certainly helped me a lot. I really do appreciate your time and trouble for my sake. Thanks again, Douglas

·
Registered
235 Posts
City of Ri[pon

Hi
City of Ripon arrived Kaohsiung for scrapping 20.April.1979 as Benvannoch.
She was origionally part of the Ellerman "City" line fleet within the Ellerman group. Glasgow registered.
Your queried what ports she may have traded to. From memory she would has been on either UK/Continent to Far East Aden,Penang,Port Swettenham, Singapore, Minila, Hong Kong Tiawan and Japan. Also Uk to Pakistan/India - all ports starting at Karachi Bavnagar,Bedi Bunder, Bombay, Cochin,Colombo,Madras,Calcutta etc. Also UK to South Africa - Walvis Bay, Lobito,Cape Town, East London, Port Elizabeth, Durban Biera etc. Those would have been her main routes however no doubt she had voyages throughout Ellermans network ie UK to Persian Gulf, East Africa and my have touched on NZ/Australia on occassions.

Best regards

Fergus 62

·
Registered
2 Posts
My discharge book shows the City of Ripon handed over to Ben Line on 10th May 1978 in Hong Kong.

As extra to the above post I was on the Ripon in Montreal Aug 77 for Toronto and the Great Lakes to South Africa If I remember correctly we had the Canadian City Line funnel for the voyage, red with a white diamond and red maple leaf. (I should remember it well because Elvis Presley died on the 16th August while we were alongside).

Best Regards

Davybouy

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
I remember seeing her in Cape Town, on E berth (the south west corner), in the nmid 1970's. She was, I believe, on the Canada/USA service, as she was sporting the maple leaf on the funnel.

There was a story going the rounds then that some of the railway lines she was discharging slipped out of the sling and pierced the bottom of the hold - don't mknow if that is true.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
A long time ago but I seem to remember that the rails punctured the tank tops and we bunkered the hold a wee bit.

We had a great month in Capetown while shoreside cleaned up and you may remember a fanfare of ships horns from Harrison and Clan Line ships when we finally left.

Davybouy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts